Mar 26 2013
By: O-EXTRA Hekseville Citizen 329 posts
Accepted Solution

Mines/Traps are too OP in this game....

[ Edited ]
50 replies 771 views Edited Apr 11, 2013

All mines/traps should be like Drake's barrel now, as in if you actually attack it, it is destroyed without exploding. But if you run into it, it damages you as normal.

The reason why I say this is because the combination of a mine and block or dodge rolling around the mine and then block OR just sitting on the dang mine is simply too powerful and can't be properly punished like a blocked or whiffed attack. Take Isaac for example, ALL he has to do is lay down his mine when you get close to him and bam instant free AP while interrupting your combo instantly and putting him in a position to either repeat the process or punish you with a combo of his own...THEN repeat the process. This is just 1 example of how a mine/trap has too much control on the field.

EDIT (I'm copying this here just to make sure no one can skip over it and make silly suggestions that are unnecessary):

After watching how effective the mine camp strategy is against Raiden in this thread http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-All-Stars-Battle/Raiden-vs-mines-Video/m-p/401157... I felt the need to bump this old thread.

Now let me make this clear....I know certain characters if not all characters have an EXTREMELY bad match up with another character. But what I want to make clear is that it wasn't the character (Isaac) that dominated Raiden....it was 1 move and 1 strategy only....Isaac's MINE and the mine camp strategy. If my solution to the problem was in the game (all mines/traps can be safely destroyed with an attack JUST like Drake's barrel is now), the game would've been a bit more even. Isaac's mine would still be effective (like Drake's barrel is now when used right) but just not dominate (like Drake's barrel was pre-patch when he could literally spam it and win).

Something needs to be done about mines/traps across the board...ESPECIALLY Isaac's mine.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 51 (771 Views)
Sackboy
457 posts

Re: Mines/Traps are too OP in this game....

Mar 26, 2013

But isnt field presense/control a good thing?

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 51 (759 Views)
Lombax Warrior
164 posts

Mar 26, 2013
I agree with this. Why even attack just set a mine in the corner and block rofl
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 51 (741 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
164 posts

Mar 26, 2013
Isaac and his goofy looking block rofl
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 51 (738 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
329 posts

Mar 26, 2013

StarGalaxy37 wrote:

But isnt field presense/control a good thing?

I'm fine with field control...to a degree. If you control it by proper zoning tactics, that's fine...but hugging a dang mine is stupid.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 51 (726 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
575 posts

Mar 26, 2013

1 mine out on the feild isn't a big deal. If you can attack it and want it to not explode, then how are you attacking it if it hits you? Yes traps and mines are annoying, but if you stay away from them, then you should be all good.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 51 (708 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3624 posts

Mar 26, 2013

It makes sense to hug a turret or mine though, when you start thinking about it. Would it be smart for a character like Emmett, Isaac and even Sweetooth to go head to head with a character like Raiden, Kratos, or any Combo heavy character? Of course not, the smart thing is to use your traps to stay relatively safe from punishment while keeping the opponent at bay with your attacks.

There is a difference between straight up camping and being smart with your mines/turrets, etc. Camping is just sitting in one place spamming attacks behind the mine, being smart is using that mine to limit your opponents' attacks while fighting. 

It's annoying, but it's still a valid tactic.

#SaintsofNewMarias#RepairCrew
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 51 (693 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
329 posts

Mar 26, 2013

PsychoticCyclone wrote:

1 mine out on the feild isn't a big deal. If you can attack it and want it to not explode, then how are you attacking it if it hits you? Yes traps and mines are annoying, but if you stay away from them, then you should be all good.

How can you stay away from it when the player hugs it........as I said in my example. If all they did was set and run away I wouldn't care less...but they don't unless they're new at the game.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 51 (692 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
65 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 26, 2013

I understand where the OP is coming from. I believe the most annoying offender has to be Isaac. The fact the his mines cause damage even when you attack it is rather annoying. It's even worse when they decide to hug the d@mn thing and repeat it after it's detonated.  But honestly. . .how else do you expect them to fight? Do you really thing Sweet Tooth, Sack boy, or Isaac stand a chance against characters like Raiden, Kratos and Dante without these little tricks? This is thier playstyle and we should learn how to get around it. I main Raiden so trust me, it affects me the most since ALL of my moves involves putting myself in harms way. I have no projectiles in my disposal. The same way I learn how to avoid Drakes drums and Sackboy's Electric pad, I will learn how to get past Isaac's Mines. For now, I'll keep setting the d@mn things off.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 51 (668 Views)
Sackboy
575 posts

Mar 26, 2013

O-EXTRA wrote:

PsychoticCyclone wrote:

How can you stay away from it when the player hugs it........as I said in my example. If all they did was set and run away I wouldn't care less...but they don't unless they're new at the game.

Then don't go after them or use range attacks.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 51 (666 Views)
0 Likes