Hekseville Citizen
308 posts

Re: Mines/Traps are too OP in this game....

Mar 27, 2013

GRYMLOCKE666 wrote:
Are you kidding me? Are we SUPPOSE to predict who WE'RE going to fight? Do you not notice that the match-ups are completely random and surprising? Even if I decided to stick to a character like radec or sackboy I'll just run into other worst match-ups. The problem is isaac or at the very least isaac players. All they do is camp the mine and shoot the gun from a corner. All we're asking is to make the mines destroyable so the players can't spam it.

So you're upset about a random event, something that is, by definition, out of your control? You're goint to have a hard life. True apptitude at this game isn't determined online.

0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1776 posts

Mar 27, 2013

I like this idea.

Either this or being able to be hit by your own mines (like Snake from Smash and pretty much any FPS ever) would reduce the mine & camp.

Message 42 of 51 (136 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
65 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 27, 2013

Wow, way to miss the ball there. I was upset at the fact that all Isaac players spam the same two moves over and over, not at the random opponent selection. That's ok, lil' slugger. I'm pretty sure you'll hit the ball next time.

Message 43 of 51 (128 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
308 posts

Mar 27, 2013

GRYMLOCKE666 wrote:

Wow, way to miss the ball there. I was upset at the fact that all Isaac players spam the same two moves over and over, not at the random opponent selection. That's ok, lil' slugger. I'm pretty sure you'll hit the ball next time.

Why would that upset you? Predictability is the most prevalent weakness amongst online players. Use it to your advantage.

0 Likes
Fender Bender
2538 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 27, 2013

BeigeMage wrote:

Why would that upset you? Predictability is the most prevalent weakness amongst online players. Use it to your advantage.

Just because something is predictable, doesn't necessarily mean it is easy to stop. Food for thought.

Edit: To clarify, I don't play online much anymore so I can't speak to the tactics of online players. I am merely playing devils advocate. But as I was saying, sometimes, the ease of use of a predictable attack can offset the fact that it is predictable, making it hard to punish. These are the attacks that I feel are overpowered. For instance, Sackboy at release was very predictable. Sit in a corner with a fan and electric pad near you and spam cake and jam. Everyone knew he was going to do it. People complained that it was predictable and could be beaten, but lo and behold, most of the time, Sackboy would win with his level 3. It needed to be changed.

I'm only bringing this up because the words "spam", "predictable" and "punish" are all to often seen together and I think we should look at it in a different way - how easy can a character win by only using a small fraction of his moves, and how hard is it really to punish these moves?

Message 45 of 51 (102 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
308 posts

Mar 27, 2013

Absolutely true assuming given characters. We all know that radect can't do @#!$ against a Sly that's spaming the barrel regarless of how predictable it is. But that Sly will have a much harder time against Fat Princess if he continues to spam it. Hence my earlier suggestion of counter picking against Issac.

0 Likes
Fender Bender
2538 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 27, 2013

BeigeMage wrote:

Absolutely true assuming given characters. We all know that radect can't do @#!$ against a Sly that's spaming the barrel regarless of how predictable it is. But that Sly will have a much harder time against Fat Princess if he continues to spam it. Hence my earlier suggestion of counter picking against Issac.

I didn't see that post. My mistake. It is a fair idea for offline and tournaments that don't use double blind character selection. I feel like this game is better offline and with friends, so counter picking makes sense. Online seems to be everyones main concern for this game but it shouldn't be in my opinion. Online fighting games are dangerous unless you have 4 players in a lobby. Quick Match and Ranked will pit you up against bad character AND player matchups randomly. If you want to be competitive, random chance is frowned upon (which is why tournaments are usually 1v1, stock, no items).

This is a casual game with competitive mechanics to me. Which is one reason why I think it could have sold better: I think a lot of people just bought one copy and have 4 PS3 controllers for their friends. But I digress.

Message 47 of 51 (88 Views)
Splicer
54 posts

Mar 27, 2013
If you use drake the barrel takes out the mine easy
Message 48 of 51 (74 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
337 posts

Apr 11, 2013

After watching how effective the mine camp strategy is against Raiden in this thread http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-All-Stars-Battle/Raiden-vs-mines-Video/m-p/401157... I felt the need to bump this old thread.

Now let me make this clear....I know certain characters if not all characters have an EXTREMELY bad match up with another character. But what I want to make clear is that it wasn't the character (Isaac) that dominated Raiden....it was 1 move and 1 strategy only....Isaac's MINE and the mine camp strategy. If my solution to the problem was in the game (all mines/traps can be safely destroyed with an attack JUST like Drake's barrel is now), the game would've been a bit more even. Isaac's mine would still be effective (like Drake's barrel is now when used right) but just not dominate (like Drake's barrel was pre-patch when he could literally spam it and win).

Something needs to be done about mines/traps across the board...ESPECIALLY Isaac's mine.

Message 49 of 51 (48 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1704 posts

Apr 11, 2013

They are just one of those things where you have to "watch out for them"

They dont bother me much, as Zeus has armour in his ground pound Smiley Happy also, fun fact, Zeus can absorb Drakes barrel xD

Message 50 of 51 (48 Views)
0 Likes