Jun 12 2013
By: LikeRA1N Wastelander 632 posts

PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale...

21 replies 978 views Edited Jun 12, 2013

...You had a good run. But the king of party brawlers is back to reclaim its rightful place on the throne (as if it was ever de-throned). Now before I get into my little rant -- if you will -- I want you all to know that this isn't a troll post as I am not a troll. I know how sensitive this community is. You guys will defend this game to Hades (see what I did there?) and back. And, as fans of this game, rightfully so.

But let's not get too ahead of ourselves. I've noticed since Nintendo revealed the new Smash (A.K.A. king of party brawlers), there has been unecessary negativity towards the best party brawler that ever graced a console on these forums, as if the new Smash won't be the (Unfinished) swan song to this game. Just look at the recent uprising of goodbye threads populating these forums. People are being reminded of what All-Stars was supposed to live up to. I mean, can you really blame them for being let down? And the truth is, most of this community was let down by PSAS whether you want to realize it or not. Why do you think there is so much negativity toward people leaving the game? Heck, someone even made a thread just to ignore those who wish to simply say goodbye to this game! You guys don't want to constantly be reminded that this game didn't live up to what you wanted it to be and I can't blame you. But let's be respectful to Smash (the reason this game even exist) and the people who gave this game a fair chance. The melodramatics isn't helping this game or this ever-dying forum board.

The ugly truth is, Smash delivers the better party brawler experience in just about every way. Now that doesn't mean PSAS didn't put up a good fight. But when you make a game trying to compete with the dominate series of this type of game, you come out with guns blazing. And that was PSAS (and SONY's) biggest mistake -- they didn't! They brought twigs to a firefight. A limited budget and virtually no advertisement (along with a host of bugs, glitches and imbalances) sent this game to an early grave. And Smash's announcement was the RIP on the tombstone.

Now, to not sound like a Smash fanboy, PSAS did something better than Smash ever did and probably ever will, do; character authenticity. It's been said too many times before so I won't waste too much time on it, but almost every character felt as if they were pulled right out of their respective games, even "Sugar Teeth" who's never once even left his vehicle. And then there are the stage mashups, which was a genius idea. Smash does just about everything else better. From the presentation to customization to gameplay. Smash is far superior at what it does than PSAS at what it does. Now, Smash debuted in 1999 which gave the series plenty of time to evolve. But after only one game (Smash 64), Hideo Kojima (MGS series) wanted Snake to be a part of the melee, and that's because, even in 1999 on the Nintendo 64, Smash left an impact on gamers worldwide, something PSAS seemed to have failed to do even with most of its fans on the PS3 in 2012 - 13.

Also, the Smash series seem to have virtually no problems obtaining 3rd party support, whereas PSAS seemed to have difficulty obtaining SONY'S owned IPs. The top most requested characters for Smash by the fans included Sonic the Hedgehog and Mega Man. Nintendo delivered.

I'm not trying to tell you guys you should prefer Smash to to PSAS. I'm just saying, Smash is better at what it does than PSAS at what it does. And that's why Smash will be on top. Hopefully we haven't seen the last of PlayStation All-Stars. I'd love for this game to have time to evolve the way Smash did over the years. You guys deserve to enjoy this series as much as I enjoy Smash.

With all that said, can we agree that both games are totes fun to play and stop the negativity and fanboyism on this forum. Or at least agree to disagree? And PSAS fans, you should really stop with the dramatics; if a former fan of this game is ready to say goodbye, send them off with positive energy -- this forum needs it.

Photobucket
Message 1 of 22 (978 Views)
Gaming Beast
1670 posts

Re: PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale...

Jun 12, 2013

I agree that PSASBR was a let down in a number of ways, and it's easy to see why it didn't take off as well as it potentially could have done.

I do agree that the game could have done better on its presentation, since the menus are pretty bland among other things.

I absolutely agree that Smash delivers better on content, since there is very little to actually do in PSASBR.

I agree that Sony should have come out all guns blazing and they didn't, and it raises the question about why that happened.

I agree overall that both games are fun and those slagging off Smash on here are failing to respect the game that essentially led to this one and, in doing so, showing shades of fanboyism.

What I disagree with is that Smash has the better gameplay. I honestly don't feel that way. The core mechanics of this game feel a lot more solid than Smash. There are a wider range of moves, and it's fun trying to explore the possibilities those moves could work. I recently went back to Smash again and everything felt so loose and disconnected to me. I'm not saying it's bad, I just feel that it feels like it lacks something now after playing PSASBR.

That said, I have gotten very interested in Smash 4's announcements though. Just a shame I'll never play it Smiley Tongue

I make PS All-Stars History videos, yo!
Current vid: Franzea (stage)
Message 2 of 22 (945 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1984 posts

Jun 12, 2013
you talk like its dead. if its like AvP then it will flourish but not in the intended way

gamefreak2.jpg

Message 3 of 22 (916 Views)
Last Guardian
9858 posts

Jun 12, 2013
Yeah, and another thread comparing Smash and All-Stars is exactly what the forums needed.
 photo Hammer Girl_zpsnrg29qur.jpg
Message 4 of 22 (913 Views)
I Only Post Everything
944 posts

Jun 13, 2013

You say we need positivity, but I didn't get any from that post. I admit, Smash started it because, hey, it's good at what it does. I just prefer All-Stars. It plays more solidly than Smash in my opinion, like Bob said above. While we do need positivity, we don't need another thread based off of Smash Bros. comparisons.

All-Stars Conquistador Music Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fJp-EtS0QQk
Message 5 of 22 (858 Views)
Fender Bender
2423 posts

Jun 13, 2013

Bobthepetferret wrote:

What I disagree with is that Smash has the better gameplay. I honestly don't feel that way. The core mechanics of this game feel a lot more solid than Smash. There are a wider range of moves, and it's fun trying to explore the possibilities those moves could work. I recently went back to Smash again and everything felt so loose and disconnected to me. I'm not saying it's bad, I just feel that it feels like it lacks something now after playing PSASBR.

That's because Smash wasn't made to be a serious fighter, it's not supposed to have fluid combos and a deep combat system, the gameplay is supposed to be simple yet fun and engaging enough for anyone to pick up and play, which is why Smash is so good when it comes to playing with friends. 

I honestly have no idea how people can have fun when playing this game with their friends because admit it, when you own a serious fighter like Street Fighter, MvC or even this game, and you're good at it, if you try playing it with friends you're probably either gonna get bored after holding their hand through the whole game session or they'll stop having fun after getting their arses kicked so much. The few times I've been able to play this game with friends, I got so bored 'cause I basically had to purposely walk into their super in order to give them a chance, hell even they got bored after a few matches.

I'm not saying that Smash's gameplay is better either since that's all subjective, It's just that for a game that's supposed to be played with friends, it's not very good at it. All those moves and that deep combat system is only good if you wanna be a serious and competitive player.

Message 6 of 22 (749 Views)
Highlighted
I Only Post Everything
998 posts

Jun 13, 2013
Hey guess what I don't care, still playing PSASBR and enjoying it so your argument is invalid.
Message 7 of 22 (684 Views)
Fender Bender
2423 posts

Jun 13, 2013

leostrike3 wrote:
Hey guess what I don't care, still playing PSASBR and enjoying it so your argument is invalid.

You just proved his point.

Message 8 of 22 (639 Views)
Survivor
2238 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 18, 2013

RedLegend14, just **bleep** already! It's his **bleep** opinion. He likes All-Stars' gameplay better, and you like Smash's better. It's a matter of opinion.

R.I.P. PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale

Message 9 of 22 (569 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
998 posts

Jun 13, 2013
@red I don't get why people keep feeling need to put up PSASBR vs Smash Bros. Yes Smash Bros. had it down since they have more years of experience to add on while PSASBR brought a newer mechanics in which some people didn't too want to agree on. Nintendo basically owns 10X more characters than Sony.Also Nintendo not only had HAL lab to do the work on Smash , but had many connection within its reach while Sony doesn't have many because other companies are busy preparing for newer consoles. Is it fair to say that SSB is more superior because it has more backup than PSASBR or that's just down right bullying and ignorance?
Message 10 of 22 (464 Views)
0 Likes