Jan 25 2013
By: jamcakes Lombax Warrior 190 posts

Question for Jak Players

57 replies 337 views Edited Jan 25, 2013

What makes a good Jak player?

Is the good Jak player the one who spams the Wave Concussor (Down + Circle) as its undoubtedly his safest move with the biggest payoff and absolutely essential to competitive play? Or is the good Jak player the one who utilises his full moveset, while still giving priority to the Wave Concussor and the Blaster (Forward + Triangle)?

I ask this because I've seen a lot, and I do mean a LOT, of Jak players online in the past few weeks and the only ones who have come even close to winning / only win when they use the Wave Concussor for 90% of the match. I was starting to think that the community had finally realised Jak's potential given how many players are using him online, but now I'm questioning that.

Message 1 of 58 (337 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1603 posts

Re: Question for Jak Players

Jan 25, 2013

Down circle is undoubtedly his best move. It's a combo starter, block breaker, kill confirm and a crowd control move. Jak would be a complete wreak without it. Maybe it wouldn't be spammed as much if all his other moves weren't so bad in comparison. A good Jak player has to capitlize on this ,but because nothing else get the job done as well, this leads to spamming.

So in the end is it the player's fault or Jak's?    

Message 2 of 58 (323 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1819 posts

Jan 25, 2013

King_Cobra97 wrote:

Down circle is undoubtedly his best move. It's a combo starter, block breaker, kill confirm and a crowd control move. Jak would be a complete wreak without it. Maybe it wouldn't be spammed as much if all his other moves weren't so bad in comparison. A good Jak player has to capitlize on this ,but because nothing else get the job done as well, this leads to spamming.

So in the end is it the player's fault or Jak's?    

This game is obviously an internal dialogue on the relationship between player and player-character. Smiley Surprised

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WHAT IS THIS!?
Message 3 of 58 (318 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7051 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 25, 2013

Jak has no true potential. The WC is his move that locks him into his combos so get use to it. Raiden and Dantes are far worst.

Ive actually figured out Jak's hidden potential but its not a potential that makes him a better fighter or character alone like everybody else, its something that helps him get AP faster which only works in FFA the best... i will keep it to myself..(and I am no talking about the Gyro Burster).

All I will say is that Jak's true potential can be revealed faster in this specific mode. FFA with Stock. Time works to but you'll find it faster in stock. All Ill say on SB part is that they almost nailed it, but because of Jak's lack of speed they didn't nail it correctly. His potential relies on speed. If they raised has AP gain OR speed OR speed on move launches then he will become a more worthy player..

SB definitely has work to do on Jak.

photo 1-Xzveb9U_zpsedcf7d52.png
Only time will tell.
Message 4 of 58 (305 Views)
Sackboy
528 posts

Jan 25, 2013

Simply put, the Wave Concussor, Jet Board,  and blaster are his only ways to realiably gain AP quickly.  Every other melee moves nets 5 to 20AP, and all his other ranged abilities net 5 to 10AP. 

Now, I understand that the needle blaster, and peacemaker are very good control abilities, but for the most part, a Jak player is better off getting above everyone and using the wave blaster rather than hitting those above with the peace maker.  I think you would see less spam if the beam reflexer, gyro blaster, peace maker, and needel laser generated more AP.   Especially the beam reflexer...  it has less range, shoots slower, generates less ap, and does not knock back compared to his standard blaster.

Message 5 of 58 (285 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
298 posts

Jan 25, 2013

Imo, the main reason for a Jak spamming foward triangle and down circle is simply that these two are his best options IF the other players don't go after him. When the other players actively engage Jak, he has to use his other moves to their full potential. Please never forget that ranked matches are hardly a good way to find good players or to see what potential a character has. You need to watch high level 1v1s or 2v2s for that. And no, black belt doesn't necessarily mean high level.

The more I play with Jak, the more I like him. He has so many great tools to deal with very different situations. And his playstyle is fun,

at least for me, perhaps not so much for my opponent Smiley Very Happy

The Jak Archives:
http://allstararena.com/threads/the-jak-archives.449/
Message 6 of 58 (279 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7051 posts

Jan 25, 2013

Breaker_Ki wrote:

Simply put, the Wave Concussor, Jet Board,  and blaster are his only ways to realiably gain AP quickly.  Every other melee moves nets 5 to 20AP, and all his other ranged abilities net 5 to 10AP. 

Now, I understand that the needle blaster, and peacemaker are very good control abilities, but for the most part, a Jak player is better off getting above everyone and using the wave blaster rather than hitting those above with the peace maker.  I think you would see less spam if the beam reflexer, gyro blaster, peace maker, and needel laser generated more AP.   Especially the beam reflexer...  it has less range, shoots slower, generates less ap, and does not knock back compared to his standard blaster.

Not true..

Only time will tell.
Message 7 of 58 (273 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7051 posts

Jan 25, 2013

DarkErazor wrote:

Imo, the main reason for a Jak spamming foward triangle and down circle is simply that these two are his best options IF the other players don't go after him. When the other players actively engage Jak, he has to use his other moves to their full potential. Please never forget that ranked matches are hardly a good way to find good players or to see what potential a character has. You need to watch high level 1v1s or 2v2s for that. And no, black belt doesn't necessarily mean high level.

The more I play with Jak, the more I like him. He has so many great tools to deal with very different situations. And his playstyle is fun,

This is factual not true...There all weak at their current state and need buffs. After playing with Jak for an extreme amount of time I noticed his guns are actually best at destroying equippment. Thats quite sad.

Only time will tell.
Message 8 of 58 (265 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
190 posts

Jan 25, 2013
To be fair, I play in every mode and every type of match there is and its exactly the same. The only difference one might notice is that players in a 2v2 situation make Jak a viable partner.
Message 9 of 58 (262 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
298 posts

Jan 25, 2013

BlueDiamond93 wrote:

DarkErazor wrote:

This is factual not true...There all weak at their current state and need buffs. After playing with Jak for an extreme amount of time I noticed his guns are actually best at destroying equippment. Thats quite sad.

Well that's your opinion. I couldn't disaggree more, because Jak develops more and more to an awesome character in my eyes.

The Jak Archives:
http://allstararena.com/threads/the-jak-archives.449/
Message 10 of 58 (260 Views)
0 Likes