Highlighted
Jan 06 2013
By: Negimafan Gaming Beast 1823 posts

Selvaria Bles Move-Set (Valkyria Chronicles)

[ Edited ]
22 replies 2725 views Edited Sep 22, 2014

It's been a while since I posted a move-set. I thought I'd get back on the horse with one of my favorite Sega franchises, Valkyria Chronicles. This one is for Selvaria.

One major reason why a Valkyria Chronicles character should rep for Sega being that the series has stayed Sony-exclusive up until the card battle online game (unless you can't crossovers like Project X Zone, which is actually made by Namco Bandai) and the first one is currently the best-selling Sega title on the PS3. Since I couldn't decide who would be more worthy between the lead heroine or villainess, I decided to make two move-sets. You can look at Alicia's version here and decide which is better. I'd also like to note that I'm using terminology from the Prima Guide, so if you haven't read it, some stuff could get confusing.

Now for Selvaria:

Selvaria_Bles_Profile.png

007.jpg

Name: Selvaria Bles.

Series: Valkyria Chronicles.

Debut: 2008.

Appears on: PS3, PSP, Vita, 3DS, Browser. Arcade

Voiced By: April Stewart

Fighting Game Archetype: Melee/Ranged hybrid.

Specialty: Tactical command and personal combat.

Rival: Ellen (Folklore) (See here for why)

PlayStationSquare.png ,  PlayStationSquare.png ,  PlayStationSquare.png : War Saber

• Properties: 3-hit combo with her personal saber, fully mashable. Selvaria starts with a quick strike via unsheathing and then a single swipe before stabbing the target violently.
  • Hit Effect and AP-Gain: 5, 5, and 10 AP for landing all 3 strikes for a total of 20 AP. The final hit will have Selvaria viciously pierce her target, leaving them in a Crumple-State.
  • Cancels intoConcealed Weapon (low) and Concealed Weapon (high), both either during on on-completion.
  • Timing: Instant, like any melee combo.

(Air) PlayStationSquare.png ,  PlayStationSquare.png ,  PlayStationSquare.png : Air War Saber

• Properties: Has the same properties as ground War Saber.
  • Hit Effect and AP-Gain: Same AP-gain as ground War Saber. Causes an Eject Tornado on finish.
  • Cancels intoStiletto Drop, but only during the first two hits.

or  + PlayStationSquare.png (Ground and Air): Blitz

• Properties: Dashes Selvaria forward to deliver a powerful stab with her saber. It travels 6 character-lengths (5 in the air). The move hits high due to Selvaria's height, so it'll tend to fly over Toro or Sackboy-level fighters. 
  • Hit Effect and AP-Gain: Single strike for 20 AP. Causes a Kneel Stagger on hit.
  • Note: Active until finished, with no cancels possible after the commitment.
  • Timing: Nearly instant, about as fast as Jak's Dashing Forward Punch (which travels 4 character-lengths for reference).

+ PlayStationSquare.pngPlayStationSquare.png (Ground and Air): Concealed Weapon; High Strike

• Properties: Selvaria performs a reverse-gripped stab with the dagger she keeps at her side, covering 180 degrees above her head. If an enemy is caught in the attack on the ground, she can follow up with a quick, auto-aimed stab using her saber to catch them like a shish kebab before tossing them like a rag doll. The move is largely identical in the air, minus the follow-up.
  • Hit Effects and AP-Gain: The initial attack hits for 5 AP while the follow-up gains 15 AP. In the air, the entire attack hits for 10 AP to make up for the lack of a follow-up. The knife attack causes a Lift on hit while the follow-up traps them in a brief animation in which casts them aside for an Eject Tornado.
  • Cancels into: War Saber without the follow-up.
  • Timing: Instant.

+ PlayStationSquare.png, PlayStationSquare.png : Concealed Weapon; Low Strike

• Properties: A series of strikes. Selvaria crouches to take swipe at the enemy's feet with her side-dagger, held in a reverse-grip. At the same time as this she takes the opportunity to quickly spin in place with her leg out-stretch behind her, combining the momentum of both hits and tripping multiple enemies. If the player so desires, she can use the momentum from the initial knife-attack to jab the target she just tripped behind her, catching them in mid-air.
  • Hit Effect and AP-Gain: Is able to attack on both sides. 5 AP for all 3 strikes for a possible 15 AP. The enemy standing in front of Selvaria is tripped and left in a short Lift-state while the same happens to the enemy behind her, except the follow-up stab sends them into an Eject Tornado.
  • Cancels into: War Saber, Concealed Weapon (high), both during the first hit.

(Air)  + PlayStationSquare.png : Stiletto Drop

• Properties: Sends Selvaria downward at 45 degrees for a quick dive-kick.
  • Hit Effects and AP-Gain: Single strike for 20 AP. Causes a ground-bounce on hit.
  • NoteActive until finished, with no cancels possible after the commitment.
  • Cancels into: Aerial Blitz or another Stiletto Drop, but it causes an instant knock-down on a bouncing target.

Note: Multiple orders can be stacked upon each other. 

PlayStationTriangle.png (Ground and Air): Call Johann (Order)

• Properties: Summons an Assist Fighter who will follow closely behind Selvaria until death. On Summon, Johann will throw a non-bouncing grenade within 3 character-lengths. If Johann is already out, this command causes him to throw a grenade from wherever he’s standing.
  • Air PropertiesUsed in the air, Johann is summoned below Selvaria. While Johann is in the air, the attack goes unchanged (including the distance thrown).
  • Hit Effects and AP-Gain15 AP, causes a Lift on explosion.
  • Timing: Johann appears instantly and his grenade has a 3-second fuse.
  • Note: Unlike Mr. Zurkon, this assistant can potentially be juggled like a normal fighter (70 health)

These next attacks deal with a very large gun, called the Ruhm.

Ruhm_VC1.png

or  + PlayStationTriangle.png (Ground and Air): Ruhm Aim Straight

• Properties: Fires a stream of bullets in a straight-line. Can be held down to lengthen the duration of the attack. Is mildly controllable (up and down) with the left stick.
  • Hit Effects and AP-Gain: Fires at 15 character-lengths. Traps enemies in a Hit-Stun Flurry and Causes an Eject Roll on finish (or an Eject Tornado on aerial targets). While the weapon fires a lot of bullets, due to the way this game handles projectiles, I'm going to have to count large bullet-clusters as a single hit. Fires 6 shots at 5 AP for a total of 30 AP if you can land the whole thing.
  • Timing: A few frames of start-up with 2 ½ seconds of duration when held down.

+ PlayStationTriangle.png (Ground and Air):  Ruhm Aerial Interception

• Properties: Fires a stream of bullets upward at 45 degrees. Can be held down to lengthen the duration of the attack. Is mildly controllable (up and down) with the left stick.
  • Hit Effects and AP-Gain: Fires at 15 character-lengths.

+ PlayStationTriangle.png (Ground and Air): Ruhm Fire Down

• Properties: Fires a stream of bullets downward at 45 degrees. Can be held down to lengthen the duration of the attack. Is mildly controllable (up and down) with the left stick.
  • Hit Effects and AP-Gain: Fires at 15 character-lengths.

PlayStationCircle.png : Ultimate Evasion

• Properties: Selvaria crouches down, gaining a brief invincibility-state. 
  • Cancels Into: War Saber, Blitz, Concealed Weapon (high), Concealed Weapon (low), any Ruhm-related attack, all during or on-completion.
  • Timing: Instant, and can last for 2 seconds.
  • Note: This command also happens to command Johann to do the same wherever he is. After all, "dodging he's good at".

(Air) PlayStationCircle.png : Air Ultimate Evasion

• Properties: Causes Selvaria to drop faster. In mid-air, Selvaria gains 30 AP of Super-Armor and her defense is increased slightly.
  • Cancels Into: Air War Saber, Aerial Blitz, Concealed Weapon (high), Stiletto Drop, any Aerial Ruhm-attack, all during or upon reaching the ground.

or  + PlayStationCircle.png (Ground and Air):  Nimble Valkyria

• Properties: Causes Selvaria to dash 6½ character lengths (the same as Dante's Angel Boost)
  • Cancels into: Any PlayStationSquare.png attack except Blitz. Unable to cancel into itself (unlike Angel Boost or Heihachi's Wavedash).

+ PlayStationCircle.png (Ground and Air)Heal All Units (Order)

• Properties: Increases Johann's health by 35 AP, also increasing Selvaria's AP by about 15.
  • Timing: Requires 3 seconds.

+ PlayStationCircle.png (Ground and Air)Strike, Scout! (Order)

• Properties: While Johann is out, this orders him to fire his rifle from wherever he’s standing (this forces him to stand still). This comes with a bit of auto-aim in that he'll only fire at the nearest enemy. While Johann is in the air, the attack goes unchanged, including the direction of the shots.
  • Hit Effects and AP-Gain: Rifle fires forward at 10 character-lengths and 4 AP within 3 shots for 12 AP in total. Standard Hit-Stun per shot.
  • Timing: Johann's rifle fire lasts for 1½ of a second.
  • Note: If Johann is dead, a normal Scout (basically a re-color in grey armor) will appear to fill in for him before disappearing, much like a Fat Princess Soldier. This also applies if the player hasn't yet summoned Johann.

Block: Selvaria hides behind a sandbag, also protecting Johann if he’s nearby. This is the only action which disables orders.

Dodge: Selvaria crouches a bit and almost appears to float along the ground.
Air-Dodge: Selvaria spins in mid-air.

or  + Throw: Rapid-fire stab with her saber, finishing in a final strike to send the target flying into an Eject Roll.

+ Throw: Johann tosses a hot grenade at the target’s feet, blowing them sky-high (this instantly recalls Johann to Selvaria as well). If Johann is dead, a normal Scout fills in for him (basically a re-color in grey armor).

+ Throw: Selvaria rushes past the target, leaving only a slash-mark visible as she grips her knife on their opposite side, putting the victim in a full Knock-Down. Essentially a single-stroke battle as seen on TV Tropes.

Level 1 Super: Powder and Steel (150 AP cost)

• Properties: A Heavy Imperial Tank (black to signify its status as an ace) shows up beside Selvaria and fires a shell at about 20 degrees down-ward (covering 3/4ths of the All-Star Arena before hitting the ground). Those standing too close to the Tank's destination will be pushed aside into an Eject Spiral, and anyone standing directly in front of the war machine are tossed into a very low Eject Spiral, directly in the path of the shot. It can potentially catch multiple targets this way, but it's likely best used to fire at large groups from a distance.
  • Attack Properties: The shell travels extremely fast. Used from a proper distance, it can theoretically clear out a straight line of targets if they're standing within range.

Level 2 Super: Mortar Support (350 AP cost)

• Properties: Selvaria communicates to her allies from off the field and requests a rocket salvo to bombard the area in front of her, covering 6 character-lengths on both sides of the impact-spot for 12 character-lengths in total. The shot lands 7 character-lengths away from Selvaria, meaning it won't take out anyone standing perfectly next to her.
  • Timing: Just over a second for the rocket to arrive.

Level 3 Super: Valkyria of Legend (800 AP cost)

Vc-selvaria-bles-lance.jpg

•  Properties: Selvaria wields the lance and shield of the Valkyria, upping her running and jumping speed by a massive amount and letting her use the blue flame of the Valkyrur. If she stands still near enemies who try to move in front of her, she'll automatically send waves of gatling beams at them till they're dead (this is cancelled instantly by taking action).
  • Special Controls:  PlayStationSquare.png swings her lance twice and ends in a stab ; the aerial version has her slam her lance down to the ground, leaving a burst of blue energy to linger. PlayStationTriangle.png creates a Gatling Beam of blue energy blasts that Selvaria can direct with the left stick and hold for 3 seconds. PlayStationCircle.png fires a massive beam of light that forces her to stand still while using it and it takes a second of cool-down.
  • Attack Properties: The Lance swing is quick and long enough to cover a massive area (4 character-lengths per swing) and moves Selvaria forward by 2 character-lengths during the process. The Gatling beam covers 10 character-lengths of distance, are a character-length in width and about the same height as SpikeThe Gatling Shots fire off kind of erratically when she's sending them out as automated interception fire, but they gain some accuracy when she's using them normally. The beam attack has no drop-off range, travels through platforms and is as tall as Jak.
  • Timing: Lasts 14 seconds.
  • MusicValkyria's Awakening

• Other Special Controls: If you have at least half of your guage remaining (7 seconds into the Super) then you can press  PlayStationSquare.png , PlayStationTriangle.png , and PlayStationCircle.png at the same time to activate the Valkyria's Final Flame, a massive blast which covers the entire screen and leaves no one alive. It requires the remaining 7 seconds of start-up, which can be a good thing as that prevents opponents from escaping in their respawn invincibility (beware people with the Medusa Head getting some kills of their own during this process). You would use this move after gaining at least 4 kills in your first 7 seconds, allowing you to push your kill-count up to 7 or even 8. This makes it theoretically the strongest Level 3 in the game, so I've made it cost 800 AP, an unprecedented amount (everyone else maxes at 750). In her own game this thing was so powerful that Selvaria had to end her own life to use it. Nariko is in a similar situation, so I think this should pass.

Intro 1: We Fight! 

• Selvaria with her Ruhm clutched at her side takes aim directly at the camera.

Intro 2: For the glory of The Empire

• Selvaria calmly salutes while saying a line referencing Prince Maximilian in some way.

Intro 3: To my side, Oswald the Iron

• Johann looks through the sighting of his rifle while Selvaria’s urges him commandingly with her arm raised.

Intro 4: The Azure Witch lives

• Selvaria glows dangerously with her eyes emanating a deep red.

Outro 1: The Empire’s Glory

• An Imperial flag bellows behind Selvaria.

Outro 2: Excellent, General!

• Johann raises his rifle triumphantly while Selvaria holds her hand to her chin and smiles.

Outro 3: Enemy neutralized

• Selvaria lowers her Ruhm while saluting with her clenched fist across her chest.

Outro 4: Blood of the Valkyria

• Selvaria, in Valkyria-mode with her Lance driven into the ground swings it upward, pointing it at the camera.

Taunt 1: Surrender!

• Selvaria raises her Saber at the enemy, ordering the opponent to lay down their arms or suffer further losses.

Taunt 2: A Gift from His Grace

• Selvaria reloads her Ruhm. This taunt has no dialogue.

Taunt 3: A Boring Operation

• Selvaria adjusts her collar and swishes her hair back.

Secondary Costume: Galian Militia Scout uniform (her DLC appearance in VC2).

Victory Music 1: A snippet from Against the Odds.

Victory Music 2: Various snippets from A Duel Against Legend.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Story:

Eastern Gallia, The Citadel of Ghirlandaio, in the war room

The characters are Selvaria, Maximilian and Johann ("Oswald the Iron"). The music playing is The Imperial Army

• MaximilianSelvaria, your part in the campaign on Gallia will have to wait. Word has arrived of a new power found in distant lands. You and your unity have been tasked with finding if it has anything to do with unknown stores of Ragnite.
  • Selvaria: Your grace, will I not be needed in the on-going conflict?
  • Maximilian: The Emperor’s orders are clear. We’ll make do without your abilities. Selvaria, find and acquire this new power; see that it brings Us closer to Our dream; return with haste when you do.
  • Selvaria: Yes, sir! Johann, notify the rest of the unit. We’re moving out immediately.
  • Johann: Yes, General!
  • Selvaria: This power will belong to His Grace; I’ll make sure of it. And if any are foolish enough to stand in our way, I’ll see them crushed.

Rivalry Cutscene with Ellen Reid, Selvaria's perspective

• SelvariaThe search continues… the battle rages on, but still no Ragnite. But this new power melds with mine just as well. Hmmm, how curious. Johann, we’re moving on.
  • Johann: Look, General!”
  • -Ellen and Keats appear-
  • SelvariaIf you’re seeking the same power as we are, you’d best stand aside.
  • Ellen: I… don’t want to have to fight you…
  • SelvariaHmmp! Cowardice like yours can cost lives in battle. Shall I show you why?
  • Keats: Well, I can already tell what sort of violent world you come from.
  • Johann: Watch your tongue when speaking with the General!
  • Keats: You’re the sort of commander that would send all her men to die, should it serve some higher purpose. Isn’t that right?
  • Johann: Quiet! You know nothing of the General! She-!
  • SelvariaJohann!
  • -He immediately quiets down-
  • Selvaria: Stranger, though I should have no quarrel with either of you, for your impertinence, the order is execution. Make your peace.
  • -both parties prepare to fight-

Outside Citadel Ghirlandaio. The music playing is Against All Odds

• Selvaria: Many warriors I fought, and they were all struck down the same. These strange new lands may not have yielded any Ragnite stores, but what I found will surely please His Grace. I must return to his side at once.
  • -Scene change to the war room-
  • MaximilianSelvaria, what do you return with?”
  • Selvaria: Sire, the power we found we used to decimate whole squads with ease, unlike any before encountered.
  • MaximilianExcellent work. Since your departure, the Gallians have struck back with fever. See this power trained upon them. Bring Us victory.
  • Selvaria: Yes, sir, at once. The Gallian army won’t stand long, nor will any other calling themselves your foe!

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Quotes:

On Selection

• "Yes, sir!"
  • "Moving out."
  • "Engaging."
  • "All right, let's move!"
  • "We march."

Intros

• “Now, we fight!”
  • “And to the ends of the earth, Your Grace.”
  • "Onward, Scout!"
  • "You face the scion to the Valkyrur."

Generic Attack-Noises

• "Hah!"
  • "Tch!"
  • "Hmph!"
  • "Silly fool."
  • "Coward!"
  • "Get out!"
  • "Die!" (using her Ruhm attacks)
  • "Tend to your wounds." (activating Heal All Units)
  • "There stands our foe!" (activating Strike, Scout!)
  • "On my signal, attack!" (activating Strike, Scout!)

Item Pick-Up

• "Ammunition at the ready."
  • "Leave this to me."
  • "This feeble army will be crushed."
  • "Supplies retrieved."
  • "Armament complete."
  • "Smite our foes!"
  • (Confidently) "Hmm..."

Taunts

• "Surrender! Or this battlefield shall drink deeply of your blood!"
  • "Cast aside your weapons and surrender!"
  • "Hmmp! A poor display."
  • "This shall be over before long."
  • "I invite you to try."

Landing a Super

• "Enemy neutralized."
  • "Target eliminated."
  • "Stubborn fools."
  • "Struggle while you can."
  • "I'll extinguish these flames."
  • "Now to pick off the stragglers."
  • "Justice is with us."
  • "Swiftly and decisively."
  • "Their forces crumble."
  • "Good work."
  • "Fall!"
  • "Stand before me and fall."
  • "Their loss is apparent."
  • "A decisive victory." (on Landing several Supers)
  • "Your defeat is settled." (on Landing several Supers)
  • "I strike down all those who oppose me!" (on Landing several Supers)

Respawn

• "This peasant-army has the will to win?"
  • "A mere delay."
  • "I'll pay you back for that defeat."
  • "I won't be broken..."
  • "I'll not go out quietly..."
  • "Strong to the bitter end!"
  • "One of us is going to die here!" (losing badly)
  • "Body... Numb..." (losing badly)
  • "Your Grace... forgive me..." (losing badly)

Outro

• "For the glory of His Grace!"

Activating Super

• "Aim true as the Valkyria lance!"  (Level 1)
  • "Charge! Destroy their forces!" ( Level 1)
  • "There you are." (Level 1)
  • "Enemy sighted." (Level 1)
  • "Requesting artillery support!" (Level 2)
  • "Rain fire upon them!" (Level 2)
  • "Raze the ground they walk." (Level 2)
  • "Witness the power of the Valkyria!" (Level 3)
  • "The Valkyria's flame, fed by the dying embers her life, it blossoms into hell's own inferno!" (activating the Final Flame)

For those interested, here's some videos (beware of spoilers) :

As you might be able to tell, she spent most of the game in Valkyria mode, so I had to take quite a bit of inspiration from the anime, where she wields the saber sparingly and the 'Behind her Blue Flame' DLC, where you take control of her while she wields the Ruhm (though you can play in Valkyria-mode if you A-Rank all her missions).

I like to make PSASBR move-sets. Here's a few:

Dart.jpg Daedalus.png Selvaria.jpg Alicia.png Dante.png Ellen.jpg

Never say I don't contribute: I'm The Idea Man.

Community Move-Set for Specter. Help build it.

Message 1 of 23 (2,725 Views)
Lombax Warrior
144 posts

Re: Selvaria Bles Move-Set (Valkyria Chronicles)

Jan 6, 2013
Really would be awesome to see her in this...loved her in Valkyria Chronicles even though she was one of the villians.
Message 2 of 23 (2,688 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1054 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 6, 2013

An amazingly done move-set! I haven't played any of the Valkyria Chronicles game,but I can see a lot of effort in this moveset.

Selvaria would be a great addition,not only adding another female that is relevant to Playstation,but even providing a JRPG character!  Well Done!

However,any idea on her minion? Smiley Happy

firma.PNG

Message 3 of 23 (2,678 Views)
Lombax Warrior
144 posts

Jan 6, 2013
Her minion...Maximillian, maybe.
Message 4 of 23 (2,665 Views)
Gaming Beast
1823 posts

Jan 6, 2013

Well at first I thought her Minion would be Johann, but he ended up being a part of her move-set.

Super-Deformed Maximilian would be hilarious. I guess he'd be her minion on account of that (kind of ironic considering their dynamic).

Message 5 of 23 (2,660 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
84 posts

Jan 10, 2013

Honestly... yes.

"ULAKSKEEL"
Message 6 of 23 (2,537 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1266 posts

Jan 10, 2013

The only Sega games I played was the Sonic series. I don't even think Valkyria was even that commercialized and I'd rather have that Yakuza dude over her instead, but she has big **bleep** so him or her for Sega rep.

photo Vigor_murder_of_crows_zps5759709e.gif
Message 7 of 23 (2,512 Views)
Gaming Beast
1823 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 24, 2013

LJPvonzity wrote:

The only Sega games I played was the Sonic series. I don't even think Valkyria was even that commercialized and I'd rather have that Yakuza dude over her instead, but she has big **bleep** so him or her for Sega rep.

Yeah, I agree: it's hard to deny how loyal Sega have been to Sony over the past few years with Yakuza. It's even one of their best-sellers despite the exclusivity.

That said, the Grand Theft Auto entries are some of the best-selling games in history and defined the PS2, but when Take-Two Interactive was brought onto the project, SuperBot went with the lesser-selling BioShock to represent Take-Two instead, because Big Daddy would be more interesting from a game-play perspective.

That's how I see Selvaria's case, but I only played the first Yakuza, so maybe I'm not giving Kiryu enough credit.

Message 8 of 23 (2,458 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
587 posts

Jan 18, 2013

This looks great. Though, I'm not so sure about having Johann as a summon.

Message 9 of 23 (2,337 Views)
Gaming Beast
1823 posts

Jan 18, 2013

GaleDaWindMasta wrote:

This looks great. Though, I'm not so sure about having Johann as a summon.

I kind of ran out of stuff she could do that's from the game. Any suggestions?

I'd feel wrong about having her fight with anyone else besides Johann (when she's not a boss, she's reguarded as a Scout class herself, so it seemed to fit.)

Message 10 of 23 (2,315 Views)
0 Likes