Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 22 2013
By: Negimafan Gaming Beast 1823 posts

Sony Santa Monica isn't to blame for all cut content

[ Edited ]
16 replies 546 views Edited Jul 22, 2013

You might find it strange -hypocritical even- for me to be the one saying this, but somebody had to. Maybe I've been too extreme in my disdain for SSM, but I'm not going to call them out on something they have nothing to do with.

All those of you that are searching out for SuperBot's artist team and their work, I commend you. We need to get some clear idea of what we want to see from this game, cut or not, in order to improve it.

But you can't just assume that SSM are actively trying to kill this game (in my opinion, their murdering of All-Stars has more to do with inactivity) by slicing out content left and right. They aren't some faceless villains we can throw all the blame for all our problems at.

I'll be the first to tell you that they've been incompetent with the game's code, for them to doddle for months on end, and claim that the transition has been hard while staying so silent. And in all that spend more time on a game with a far worse bugdet-to-return ratio than this one. As far as I'm concerned, Sony could've handed the IP to anyone else, and they'd have been just as experienced on the project as SSM have shown themselves to be.

From there is where we can tell just how little influence they would've had in this game's development.

Those character ideas and different menus are just what-could-have-beens and should-have-beens; stuff that looks cool now but might not have been feasibly for gameplay, or maybe wasn't able to receive the amount of polish it deserved. Things SuperBot couldn't bring to the final product either from lack of time, man-power or budget. We can't change how turbulent this game's development was. All in all, the entire situation is an incredibly pity.

But you can't demonize SSM for incompetence while assuming that they've cut this game to pieces, because both prospects are mutually exclusive: pretending like they've been destroying SuperBot's work implies a level of involvement in the project that we all know was simply never there. Either you can blame Sony for not giving them all they needed to succeed (and no project ever squeezes in all its team's ideas anyway) or you can blame SuperBot for incompetence with handling their own ideas. But leave SSM out of it.

That said, if you want to blame them for that Hekseville/Dessert stage from Gravity Rush and Journey being cut, that's fine by me. While we can't prove anything, it's extremely unlikely that a stage for both those games would've been on-disc before Kat herself was released. It would've been awkward to implement a Kat Trophy for using her Level 3 on that stage at her arrival; they more-than-likely would've been closely timed together (which leads me to wonder how SSM were unable to manage a simple Sir Dan Trophy for the Graveyard).

I like to make PSASBR move-sets. Here's a few:

Dart.jpg Daedalus.png Selvaria.jpg Alicia.png Dante.png Ellen.jpg

Never say I don't contribute: I'm The Idea Man.

Community Move-Set for Specter. Help build it.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 17 (546 Views)
Gaming Beast
2105 posts

Re: Sony Santa Monica isn't to blame for all cut content

Jul 22, 2013
I don't think it was cut. It was simply not finished and never made it to production quality.

There are some concept art and some models but that is far far away from actually being playable produced content.

They need to program the new moves, have voice overs, animations, sounds and tons of other stuff.

The only one I blame is that absolute idiot who decided Zeus is a good DLC choice. I don't care if it's SSM or Superbot or Sony. That person should leaving the gaming industry and find a job in some other industry.
------
Playstation God of War Stars Battle Bore y'all !!!
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 17 (526 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8256 posts

Jul 22, 2013
This I agree with. Everyone is looking to point the finger, but they point at SSM. They need to point elsewhere.
 photo 08EDBB95-0972-4D12-94BB-8107B5418EAA_zpsyuwphky8.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 17 (500 Views)
PlayStation MVP
6387 posts

Jul 22, 2013
Yeah it seems a lot of the concept art and menu designs were from the title fight days. SSM can't be blamed for this one.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 17 (475 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1789 posts

Jul 22, 2013

I do kind of feel bad for SSM. They're getting a lot of flack that should be more directed at the Sony higher-ups.

The unreleased costume DLC is still frustrating, though.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 17 (428 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
69 posts

Jul 22, 2013
I only blame them for ignoring us and avoid answering us for so long :U
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 17 (417 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
358 posts

Jul 22, 2013

Eelanos wrote:

^ Same. And they also make awful games. But that's just me....Maybe.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 17 (370 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
998 posts

Jul 22, 2013
I blame them for keeping us in the Dark while things go differently, They cancelled Dart because they said he wouldn't sell enough(which was a bad idea since people actually requested him badly) they should have reached out some questions to the fans before making any changes to the game's progress.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 17 (350 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1789 posts

Jul 22, 2013

HeichouD66 wrote:

Eelanos wrote:

^ Same. And they also make awful games. But that's just me....Maybe.

One of Sony's most talented studios. They don't develop many games internally, but they collaborate with other studios.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 17 (348 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
12251 posts

Jul 22, 2013

Huh. So you do agree with me a good deal now. SSM is not the antichrist.

Welcoming Committee Twitter
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 17 (341 Views)
0 Likes