Highlighted
Jun 16 2013
By: White_knight39 Sackboy 372 posts
Accepted Solution

The Super System based combat.

[ Edited ]
13 replies 351 views Edited Jun 16, 2013

Okay, so I've read a few threads about Sony wanting to replace the super system......why? I personally love it, especially how each super is unique in it's own way. I also love how it doesn't always guarantee a kill, making combat more intense and risky, "Should I use my level 1 and get a quick kill or possibly miss? Or go for a level 3 to attempt to get even more than a level 2 would?" It's these thoughts that make you want to play more strategically if you will. It's something fresh and new in a fighting game, better than the generic health system. (Although making a health system as it's own game mode would be nice.) Someone want to explain why they would even consider changing it? Because this is new news to me. .-.

Message 1 of 14 (351 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5661 posts

Re: The Super System based combat.

Jun 16, 2013
Think I'll just copy what I wrote on the other thread:

I think the concept of the super system is what made many deem the game complicated & unfriendly for new comers. It's just a tricky thing for most casual players to get around in the first few matches, made further complicated due to not knowing what each level super for each character will do. You get the hang of it fairly quickly, but for a party brawler, most people just don't get to play long enough to fully understand it.

In hindsight, the basic fighting mechanic & combos is much easier for anyone to pick up and play, in comparison to say Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat, in which a newcomer won't know what the hell they're doing against an experienced player. For those who argue that an experienced player has an advantage over newcomers in PSABR too, well that'll always be the case for games in the 'fighter' genre, Smash Bros included.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 2 of 14 (338 Views)
Sackboy
372 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 16, 2013

S-o-h-a-i-l wrote:
Think I'll just copy what I wrote on the other thread:

I think the concept of the super system is what made many deem the game complicated & unfriendly for new comers. It's just a tricky thing for most casual players to get around in the first few matches, made further complicated due to not knowing what each level super for each character will do. You get the hang of it fairly quickly, but for a party brawler, most people just don't get to play long enough to fully understand it.

In hindsight, the basic fighting mechanic & combos is much easier for anyone to pick up and play, in comparison to say Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat, in which a newcomer won't know what the hell they're doing against an experienced player. For those who argue that an experienced player has an advantage over newcomers in PSABR too, well that'll always be the case for games in the 'fighter' genre, Smash Bros included.

I also love how each direction has an individual attack. XD and I agree with you how other fighting games like Souls Calibur that make just swinging your sword once a giant memory game lol. How is this game complicated? Sure, if you hop into online matches without even playing anything else first, you're going to get your **bleep** handed to you. But that's no excuse. There's this thing called "Practice mode" that was given it's own mode for a reason. Also, I'm pretty sure the first thing most people did when they got the game was play arcade mode first. Smiley Tongue

I sure as heck didn't even consider playing online until I got my characters controls down.

Message 3 of 14 (324 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5105 posts

Jun 16, 2013

Idk, I like the super system.  I don't like how some are so imbalanced.

Some characters have kill confirms with their level 1 while others don't.  Some characters have OP level 2s while others have weak variations.

PSN: MR:GREEN_____
Message 4 of 14 (313 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
372 posts

Jun 16, 2013

Every character has kill confirms, just with different levels, no, every character has kill confrims, you just have to have the know how and timing to pull'em off.....Unless you're Kratos or Raiden, Or Good and Evil Cole, then you just press 1 button. XD

Message 5 of 14 (308 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1776 posts

Jun 16, 2013

Even though I think the Super system is actually very clever as far as competitive fighting goes, it's really really not as "pick up and play" for casuals as it should be.

The weird thing about the Super system is that it's almost counterintuitive to casuals. The first thing a casual player would want to do is just mash buttons until he/she can get a Super, and then use it. Unfortunately for them, the 1st Super you get is the Level 1, the hardest type of Super to land in the game. Level 3's are the kills that are easier and maybe more casual friendly, but the game shouldn't assume that casual players would have the patience or even skill to build up a Level 3 Super in a 3-minute match.

Most of my casual friends, when they pick up this game, just mash buttons until they have a Level 1 and continuously fail to land them, and get bored of the game. And that seems to be how most newcomers play it too, given the amount of first time players who post their gameplay on YouTube.

Message 6 of 14 (284 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3659 posts

Jun 16, 2013
I wouldn't miss it if a sequel didn't use it. When I first played the beta I just mashed buttons and wondered why I didn't kill anyone.
It took me a while to get used to it, but I did after about 10 games. But casuals won't stay that long to get used to it Smiley Sad
Message 7 of 14 (278 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
88 posts

Jun 16, 2013

People don't like the super system because it has no place in a fighting game. 

There's no point in blocking or defending if regular attacks don't do anything, not to mention there's chip "Damage". 

This reminds of a reviewer who said that "If you miss with your super, all the combos and effort you made amounts to nothing". Kinda hits the nail on the head.. And as the lad who said above me, it's severly unbalanced, with several characters just having to sit on one side of the screen and just press R2 to have the win handed to them.

Message 8 of 14 (260 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3009 posts

Jun 17, 2013
I personally love the Super system but there's no doubt its brought about many issues with Kill confirms being to easy for some but not for others and I can see why Shu would want to remove it. If you remove that system, you just removed 90% of the games problems.
[The YouTube Poser]

Message 9 of 14 (231 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
201 posts

Jun 17, 2013
There's nothing wrong with it, however, add some new things to jazz it up. Different forms for certain supers.

Level 1 Spike (1st form): Swings the net
Level 1 Spike (2nd form): Throws the net or does a high flying net spin to catch his enemies.

It adds more diversity to the characters. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 14 (227 Views)
0 Likes