Highlighted
Nov 02 2013
By: Jaxvex Uncharted Territory 1272 posts

Time for a daily Kat thread

14 replies 216 views Edited Nov 2, 2013

In today discussion I want to focus on the soon to be Kat mains post patch. 

Many players have stated that they want to main Kat but refuse to do so until she is mid tier or lower. As she is now she's too easy mode for veteran fighters and requires no thought. I have a question for these future Kat mains, mainly for those who refuse to use her because she's Kat tier.

Besides glitches and not being tournament legal what exactly is it that makes you hesitant towards using her?

Now I don't want an long list of what makes her broken. I'll do that myself later. What I'm asking is what is it that makes her unusable to you, the player. 

Let me explain more where I'm going with this. Back when I started playing with Pyskiiik, a well respected *former* Raiden main from Arena, we had discussions about how Raiden is too easy to use now and days. Any current Raiden main can rely on 3 moves and be carried to victory: a.N1 (air neutral square combo), a.U2 (flippy kick of death), and a.S3 (side circle dash). His grab can also be included in this list. It was because of Raidens meta game starting to form around these moves that Pyskiiik decided to drop him and pick up Kratos. He always mentioned how Raiden had other terrific moves in his toolset but that because the other  3 were so powerful they were rarely used.

That's when I realized that using a.N1, a.U2, and a.S3 is completely optional. It's not like how EC is with Dante, which is the only thing that keeps him afloat competitively. You can use Raiden effectively without relying exclusively on his OP aspects (e.g retiree2010, PHaZeX3RO, etc.). So why not just use Raiden that way and refuse to abuse his broken tactics, instead of rejecting his character all together. 

By now you should see where I'm going with this. Alright back to Kat. Let's make a quick list of her brokenness (sans glitches):

• Ridiculous level one confirm, can be used from anywhere.
  • Fast projectile with enough hitstun to allow combo starters from mid range.
  • Gigantic hitbox on ground version of gravity attract.
  • Incredible safety for her N2 (neutral triangle).
  • Invincible dashing.
  • Long air dodge animation.
  • Smaller hitbox when crouching. 
  • Grab that covers both sides (but is extremely punishable).
  • Relatively safe bounce back on her a.D2 (air down triangle), making it hard to punish at times.
  • Ability to slide underneath a majority of attacks. 
  • Automatic burst from U1 (up square) launch.
  • Level 2 confirm, despite it already being powerful enough.
  • Air stalls (though not infinite).
  • Ability to block while standing on walls.
  • Fastest ground jab and fast aerial jab. 

Everything mentioned above are probably the most abused aspects of her character. Kat players are widely criticized as being carried because of these moves. These are the things people want removed in the next patch, with no little to no buffs to compensate for their removal (not saying she needs them). So nerfing the above list along with fixing her glitches will make her more balanced and possibly close to bottom top tier/top high tier. 

However just like with Raiden I consider these moves/techniques optional (except for the jab speed and large hitbox for gravity attract). Without those broken aspects Kat would be viable to those waiting for her to be mid to high tier. So why not start using her now and not abuse her brokenness? They'll most likely be gone post patch anways.

If your reasons are primarly because she isn't tournament legal or her glitches literally make playing as her difficult (frame drops, debris not working, lag, etc.) then there's no need to reply. I already know. I'm directing this towards all the people who don't want to use her because she's Kat tier.

•  
cloooooooud!#HeavenlySwords
Message 1 of 15 (216 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7421 posts

Re: Time for a daily Kat thread

Nov 2, 2013

Kat still gives me nightmares, even after the "Patch", I'll still be scarred, she kicked my face in multiple times. ;~;

Pipo

http://brotherhoodofgaming.clanwebsite.com/
NNID&Steam: SuperPiposaru 3DS FC: 0920-1213-3452
Message 2 of 15 (207 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
18068 posts

Nov 2, 2013
Okay then ~Nyā...

Soul Pillager 3! Banner Version.jpg

Message 3 of 15 (202 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
18068 posts

Nov 2, 2013
Despite her kicking in the faces of everyone on earth ~Nyā...
I use her from time to time, and I can see where the OP is coming from....

I think I will feel more comfortable using her once things are evened out ~Nyā :3

I worded this poorly as usual Smiley Sad
Basically she will remain a secondary character, but she will probably collect less dust....

Message 4 of 15 (192 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1272 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 2, 2013

bjizzle121 wrote:
Despite her kicking in the faces of everyone on earth ~Nyā...
I use her from time to time, and I can see where the OP is coming from....

I think I will feel more comfortable using her once things are evened out ~Nyā :3

I worded this poorly as usual Smiley Sad
Basically she will remain a secondary character, but she will probably collect less dust....

But that's my point. There's no need to wait if you're not abusing her in the first place. All the patch is going to do is make so everyone abusing her brokeness can no longer do so.

Unless you're avoiding her because of glitches or not being tournament legal I don't see why people just don't use her without feeling they HAVE to use her brokeness. Just like if you use Raiden you aren't limited to 3 moves. 

Message 5 of 15 (183 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
18068 posts

Nov 2, 2013
^yes... I just don't like it when pubs are just going "OMG KAT SPAM TOOSTRONK"

I don't like being called out in matches ~Nyā...

I rarely initiate any of her glitches.....

Message 6 of 15 (174 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
6399 posts

Nov 2, 2013
Kat just doesn't appeal to me, so that is why she is my lowest level out of every character.
Message 7 of 15 (171 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1060 posts

Nov 2, 2013

I feel like what I get from Kat overall is that her moveset doesn't seem balanced with her supers/meter management. If we're going for raw, ideal balance here, shouldn't a great moveset be offset by bad lower level supers, like Nariko is (I'm talking ideally - Nariko's moveset does need to be fleshed out some more)?

sig

Message 8 of 15 (165 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1272 posts

Nov 2, 2013

True. The supers are another thing that you can't control right now, like her jab speed. However if played without abusing the broken aspects I listed I feel meter management shouldn't be too big of a deal. Without those aspects she'd be a lot more punishable and couldn't just get a burst whenever the oppenent let their guard down. She would have to work a little more towards her AP gain and couldn't rely on a level confirm to quickly end matches. IMO she'd be similar to Kratos or Raiden just reduced range. 

Message 9 of 15 (152 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1025 posts

Nov 2, 2013
I was dead set on never using her but once everyone said she was an easy win I started messing around with her in the lab an then brought her into pubs and I'd be lucky if I got a level 2... She's on way too much meth and speed for my liking, which in right hands makes her ungrabbable, and it peesis me off.
Message 10 of 15 (146 Views)
0 Likes