Treasure Hunter
7527 posts

Re: What is your thoughts on Kill Confirms?

Jan 31, 2013

lxhizy wrote:

many kill confirms are okay for me, BUT raiden's, fat princess' and evil cole's kill confirms are cheap

and I don't use that word very often... but yes, they are cheap

THIS

Sleep Matt signature
Message 21 of 27 (178 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Wastelander
587 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 31, 2013

I've spoken about my thoughts on Kill Confirms several times in this forum. Usually during times of frustration against the game or other people in general. This time, I'll try to clearly portray my thoughts in a calm matter and hope that it'll broaden peoples' views on this matter.

For the most part, I am against Kill Confirms. I only rely on them when I play as Spike and Sackboy -- Aerial B-Launcher and Electric Panel respectively -- but I feel that those are acceptable due to the short opportunity you have to land Supers with those set-ups. Either way, no matter what excuse I make, I'm still a hypocrite. I think this will add to a point I'll be making soon, though.

I personally believe that Kill Confirms makes matches stale. Due to their nature to very easily combo into a Super, they remove a lot of the depth during matches. Those who rely on Kill Confirms have very little to no reason to use any other Super other than Level 1. They're basically ignoring a large part of their characters' ability. I can't really fault them, either, when all that matters to them is winning. Kill Confirms into Level 1 Supers (or even Level 2 in some cases) are quick, cheap, and efficient. 

On another note. I wish to quickly address this. When people defend Kill Confirms by saying all you have to do is dodge, block, or jump, I really want to make this clear that being defensive in a fighting game is common sense. There is no need to repeat to people the bare basics of the game just to back up your point. It does not make your argument any stronger. All you are doing is indirectly calling the person you are telling this to a simpleton. Yes, there is skill involved avoiding Kill Confirms and Supers in general. No, it's not that hard to do so. This does not in any way negate how easy it is to land Kill Confirms and gain kills. All that you'd have to do is change up your tactics to make yourself less predictable. Which is also a very normal thing to do in a fighting game. This goes into my next point.

Kill Confirms numb the skill of people who rely on them. There's little technical ability being used when people get into their mind that, 'all I have to do is land this one move and Super right after'. On the other hand, there's quite a bit more technical ability used when a person starts thinking, 'perhaps if I can hit them with that and follow up with that, I can catch them off guard and land the Super'. The sheer nature of Kill Confirms keep people from trying their hardest since they makes things so much easier. This is where my argument comes from that Kill Confirms hurt the game tremendously. Watching two skilled players fight. Seeing all these combos that are incredibly difficult to pull off. All that intensity . . . immediately diminishes once you see them Kill Confirming. There's no, "Oh,snap!" moments that come from that. Just, "Hmm, he got him." 

There's also the other moral argument when it comes to Kill Confirms and sportsmanship that I don't really need to get into. There's an honor system a group of players, including myself (save for the hypocrisy that occurs when I use Sackboy or Spike), employ when playing this game that makes them refuse using any Kill Confirms at all. Which leads to them gaining more respect when they win. Hopefully, from both sides of the argument. 

I hoped this made things easier to understand from the opposing side.

Message 22 of 27 (162 Views)
Lombax Warrior
152 posts

Jan 31, 2013

I say it should be all or nothing.  Why should Evil Cole etc be able to setup so easily while other characters require ridiculously situational and precise setups to score an easy kill? Some characters don't even have level 1 kill confirms. That's the biggest frustration for me.

Message 23 of 27 (132 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
281 posts

Jan 31, 2013
very true GaleDaWindMasta
Message 24 of 27 (121 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
102 posts

Jan 31, 2013
I don't like them very much because they're cheap (in the cost of AP) and they take the combo system from "You gotta be skilled to get a level one super landed in the heat of battle" to "Be careful, one hit and you're done." Which makes the game feel like it lacks action.

I've relied on kill confirms before and I find myself spamming specific attacks until I land one of them. It made fighting so repetitive for me.

I think that if kill confirms are allowed to stay in the game, then they should be something you charge but can't move around with. Take Kratos and Evil Cole for example. Kratos' down circle can be charged into a level one kill confirm which would make killing someone easy, but THE TRICK IS it's hard to land because Kratos can only stand in place when charging it, so, unless you idiotically walk into it, it's not a kill confirm you can easily use in the heat of battle. Evil Cole on the other hand has his neutral circle which he can charge and use for a level one kill confirm. THE PROBLEM IS Cole can walk around with a fully charged attack which is lightning fast and almost always confirms a kill when landed.

It would be better if all kill confirms had to be charged in place or take a while to wind up like Heihachi's down circle.
Scott Pilgrim for Playstation All Stars Battle Royale!
Message 25 of 27 (105 Views)
Wastelander
587 posts

Jan 31, 2013
I'm honestly surprised by how many people agree with what I said.
Message 26 of 27 (99 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1577 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 31, 2013

I don't mind them and not being biased since I don't use KC either,some characters actually need it to,like Heiachi in such,I don't think it's cheap,especially since some can be easily avoided. However they should be more complicated to use,instead of just one push of a button.

Click click click click click click click click................... I need to get off the forums.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Signature created by GFXNinja/CyborgHippo
Message 27 of 27 (92 Views)
0 Likes