Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
I Only Post Everything
998 posts

Re: Why did this game not sale well?

Jul 10, 2013
@shun true that does bring suspicion on the game's development, it could have been seen that Super bot was working on Classic Dante(I.e. Classic Dante's pic) but got swapped, it could be the same with Nathan Hale or chimera (since resistance had many backgrounds,pics) . If superbot had more say then PSASBR would have been taken more differently.
Message 21 of 58 (218 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
448 posts

Jul 10, 2013
I don't think it was the roster at all. It's missing a few key names and has a few unneeded ones, but by and large it's a great representation of PlayStation history. There was advertisement, too, but it was **bleep** and weird. You couldn't really tell what the game was and they should've showed Sweet Tooth and Ratchet.
But the main problem, I think, was perception. People couldn't decide if they wanted a straight up Smash clone or something different. They got something different and the reviews were lukewarm because of that. Reviews matter. The game still managed to do pretty well, over a million, and the sales have been surprisingly steady. I think they need some clearer advertising and more polish and they'll have a hand that really takes off.
Message 22 of 58 (213 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2225 posts

Jul 11, 2013
Why the game didn't sell well? I think one of the main issues was lack of advertising. I don't recall ever seeing a commercial for All-Stars on TV. Not a single one. On top of that, none of my friends even knew about the game until I told them about it. Pretty sad if you ask me.

Other reasons? I think a lot of people were disappointed about the game's roster. No Crash, Spyro, etc. Then of course, you had the Smash fanboys who labeled this game as a "ripoff" and didn't even give the game a try.

R.I.P. PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale

Message 23 of 58 (198 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3231 posts

Jul 11, 2013
@Shun

..... Actually one of my friends had issac as his sig in these forums for a while and really wanted him in game. There were others too. Zooze how ever..... Anyway dont get me started on friking Zooze.

MAY THE SQUARE DRIVE YOUR BLADES KRATOS!
Currently playing: FF7 Dirge of Cerberus, Persona Series, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Megaman 10, Infamous Second Son, SMT Devil Summoner Raidou Kuzunoha Vs. The Soulless Army
Message 24 of 58 (180 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1746 posts

Jul 11, 2013
Why didn't it sell well? Superbot said they were making a game that could be competitive for the FGC. Then they spat in its face by balancing for FFA and completely ignoring 1v1 - the FGC. That's why the game was never picked up by the FGC even though there was initially some interest and plans to put PASBR in some semi-major tournaments. But it didn't pan out and all of the potential exposure was lost, as well as most of the FGC writing the game off as nothing.
Message 25 of 58 (151 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 11, 2013

This game was just handled terribly.

-Advertising was virtually non-existant

-The wrong 3rd party characters were added, if they weren't going to get the big guns they shouldn't have bothered

-It honestly looks like a poor man's Smash Bros

-There clearly wasn't enough money behind it

-They gave it to a new team, instead of some one with experience in quality game development

-It has an identity crisis - does it want to be a competitive fighter (evidenced by ranked and the awful belt/title system) or a party brawler?

-It's buggy as hell

-Lack of content (there could have been tonnes more items, stages, music, unlockables)

-Lack of modes - at times this feels only a tad less barebones than UMvC3

-It feels pretty bootleg sometimes - none of the MediEvil, Patapon, Loco Roco, Wipeout, Gravity Rush, DmC, Metal Gear music is actually from anything and is just made up, this is something you just don't get with Smash

-First party IP's are strangely absent - GT and Ape Escape are the biggest selling 1st party IP's Sony has and only the latter has any representation and even then it's not much. Where are Legend of the Dragoon, Syphon Filter, Shadow of the Colossus etc

-Stupid decisions - Example: Most Ratchet & Clanks remember them from the PS2 days, yet they steer more towards the PS3 games which are much less popular (still great though) and polarising. Jak & Daxter: The Lost Frontier is unanimously disliked, yet they focus on trying to capture that part of Jak & Daxter and even give us the voice that nobody likes, instead of the original VA Mike Irwin. Things like this tend to put off the PS2 fans because their favorites aren't quite as they remember them.

-Innaccuracy - this game is riddled with them. Jak's Hellcat is red when it should be blue, Drake's level 3 zombies look nothing like the ones in Uncharted etc Again this shows a lack of care and polish that you just don't get with Smash Bros.

-Bias - There's a heavy bias towards God of War and it's far from their best franchise. Naughty Dog is their best developer by far, yet their representation is utterly poor in this game

All that aside, it's a really fun game, especially with friends. But Sony really didn't put enough time, effort or money into it to make it anywhere near the quality of a Smash game. Sad, but true.

Message 26 of 58 (134 Views)
First Son
17 posts

Jul 11, 2013

To expand on that, I think all this talk of 3rd parties not playing fair was BS. Think about it.

Who was by far the most requested character for Brawl? Sonic. Nintendo got him.

Who was by far the next most requested 3rd party character in Smash? Mega Man. Nintendo got him.

Who were the most requested 3rd party characters in this game? Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, Solid Snake, Lara Croft, Cloud Strife and Sora. Sony didn't get one of them. Instead we got Bioshock and Dead Space, which don't really scream "PlayStation" to me.

Reason being, Sony didn't care enough about this game. Nintendo cares about Smash Bros. As long as this is the case, Smash will always be the far better game.

Message 27 of 58 (131 Views)
Sackboy
448 posts

Jul 11, 2013
To your inaccuracy claim, yeah, there were some mistakes. But honestly, what Superbot did best was make the characters feel like they were from their games. They made a real effort for each character to Be accurate to their game and by and large they succeed wonderfully. Emmett has his drops, Kratos his button mashiness, Dante his big flashy combos, Spike his variety of weird gadgets, Sly his stealth and pickpocketing, Drake his cover and goofy environmental moves, Kat her floatiness and kick craziness (they nailed Dusty, too), and Toro puts on people clothes. The list goes on. Radec was totally off, though.
Also all of Ratchet's weapons except n.T and u.T are from PS2 games. They even had Mr. Zurkon!
So what I'm saying is I agree with everypoint you make except for about character design. Superbot really did an incredible job making each character unique and accurate. Except Radec.
Message 28 of 58 (119 Views)
First Son
17 posts

Jul 11, 2013

leostrike, if you're talking to me I think you need to reassess what I said.

This game could have been great. The idea and premise is great and it's got a very interesting gameplay mechanic that has plenty of potential.

The truth of the matter is that Sony just didn't care. Try and tell me otherwise and stop being such a kid about it.

Message 29 of 58 (105 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
998 posts

Jul 11, 2013
@madmax and that's the problem ,you keep saying could have, truth be to the reason why Sony can't put more support on the game is people like you who won't stop trying to be negative. What's your deal ? Are you benefiting from it?
Message 30 of 58 (122 Views)