Highlighted
Aug 29 2013
By: Psycho-Ragdoller Lombax Warrior 87 posts

Your FIghting Game History?

[ Edited ]
12 replies 317 views Edited Aug 29, 2013

Now, we all know that most of us just love Playstation and didn't want to miss a game like. But before this game came out, what other fighting games have you played? Which have you gotten serious about, or do you just know so much about your favorite character/franchise that you couldn't afford to pass up on this game?

For me, I loved the Mortal Kombat series, grew up with it on the Sega Genesis when I was a wee-lad. Didn't mess me up in the head TOO much. I also loved the story behind it, and played every canon Mortal Kombat game except MK4. I also liked Tekken as a second favorite, but the fact it wasn't 2D, or even 2.5D made it harder for me to get good at it. Hwaorang and Law were my first favorite two characters, mainly for how crazy their kicks were! The next game series I tried were mainly from Capcom, Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max, which I adored so much that I made an old PSN account based off of. Two, actually...Then I saw a game called Guilty Gear Judgement for the PSP, which was pretty neat and had some interesting characters, except I found it a little hard to even casually learn. I wouldn't mind getting this game in particular though. I also used to play Super Smash Bros. Melee with my childhood friend, until he moved. I now wish to learn how to play Skullgirls as well.

That being said, I guess I didn't want to actually learn fighting games until this one came out, but story-wise, Mortal Kombat started it.

My Fighting Game History:

Mortal Kombat Series-Excluding 4, For the story

Tekken Series-To fill in the Mortal Kombat gap, Grew to like the games

Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max, Super Street Fighter 4-Thought I should try it out and liked it at first, but then grew out of it

Guilty Gear Judgement-Thought I should try it out, liked it, but then lost my account that had it

Marvel vs. Capcom 2, [Ultimate] Marvel vs. Capcom 3-REALLY liked it, felt bad for not knowing enough of the chracters history, played for fun, eventually got bored of it

Super Smash Bros. Melee-Played for fun at friends house, always imagined a game like this with Playstations characters would be my dream game

Playstation All-Stars-Grew up with Playstation, love the characters and franchises, also have a fondness for party fighters

To-Do List:

Skullgirls-Friend recommended it, wanted to get the game for a while, heard it was balanced well

Blazblue Series-Friend recommended it, made by the Guilty Gear creators

Tekken Tag Tournament 2-Big maybe, enjoy the characters and like the series, but most of them feel like clones to me

My Favorites:

In the order I played them in:

1. Mortal Kombat

2. Tekken

3. Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale

Edit: Some of the Soul Calibur games also go in there as 'For fun', but I'm too lazy to fully edit.

Message 1 of 13 (317 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5383 posts

Re: Your FIghting Game History?

Aug 29, 2013
I started with my all time favourite fighting game...Tetris...then I moved on to more technical fighters like fallout, gears of war, God of war, etc. Now im into traditional fighters again such as mario kart, twisted metal, and my newest favourite...Scaler!
My Scaler (Obscure/Unique) Moveset!: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-All-Stars-Battle/Scaler-Obscure-Unique-Moveset-Give-Feedback/m-p/41328063 Gimme Feedback on it?
Message 2 of 13 (306 Views)
Lombax Warrior
154 posts

Aug 29, 2013

I started quite early with Street Fighter EX-2 Plus, on the PS1. Followed immediately with X-Men Mutant Academy, for the same system. Then I got bored with fighting games and now, ages later, I play PSASBR.
No, seriously. I suck at fighting games Smiley Sad

We will SMITE the invaders from our skies!
Message 3 of 13 (305 Views)
Fender Bender
2954 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 29, 2013

I'm gonna keep this short:

Street Fighter: Teh classic. Love the mechanics.

Tekken: Hwoarang. Tekken 3 was my life back in the day.

Smash Bros Brawl: Snake

Project M: Snake balanced.

PSASBR: Sly, Sir Dan and Raiden are better than any Smash character no matter how iconic they are (Snake and Sonic not included, but they're not Nintendo so...). This was my dream after playing SSB b/c I always knew how much better PS characters were than Nintendo's. And now that it's an underrated game, I'll back it up more and more. And it's the only fighting game I'm actually good at, and probably the game I've spent the most hours playing (at least one of them).

King of Fighters: Recently got into it.

Dragon Ball Z Budokai ____: DBZ fo lyfe.

Metal Gear Solid 4 Arena: Liquid Ocelot vs Snake in the end of MGS4. Awesome on so many levels. "LIQUIIIID!" "SNAAAAKE!"

To-do list:

Persona 4 Arena

Divekick

secuekl
Message 4 of 13 (291 Views)
Gaming Beast
1823 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 29, 2013

One of the first games I ever played was Street Fighter II Turbo on the SNES. Not to say I'm good at it or anything.

My sibling was hugely into King of Fighters throughout the 90's, and I kind of got into it too. I still maintain that Capcom vs. SNK 2 is possibly the best fighting game ever made.

I'd been aware of Tekken and liked trying it in the arcades, and like every dirty noob, I started with Eddy. I think the first copy I owned was Tekken 5, which I played to death (got pretty decent with Steve, Lee, Paul and Feng Wei).

I was also into the Dragon Ball: Budokai series on the PS2. Looking back on it, they were kind of a mess for balance.

My first experience with the series was buying Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter for the PS1, probably because I found out Spider-Man was in it. I later got really into Marvel vs. Capcom 3, and made several move-sets for it over time (one of which was Vergil before he was revealed for Ultimate; it turned out to be somewhat accurate).

I've owned a Wii for years that I've rarely used (have maybe 5 games for it), and like everyone else I bought Brawl (up until then, I've only ever rented and tried Melee at a friend's house). Couldn't really stick with it, because frankly I'm not that good at it (and Nintendo trivia bores me).

These days my favorite is PSASBR, but I'm hoping to get a hold of TTT2. I try not to support Capcom when I can (buying their, and only their products used, whereas I try to buy everything else new).

Funny fact: that same sibling that was into KOF got the first Soul Blade on the PS1 as a birthday present, back when the roster was tiny and they weren't using so many guest characters. I tried it and found it boring then: I find it boring now.

I like to make PSASBR move-sets. Here's a few:

Dart.jpg Daedalus.png Selvaria.jpg Alicia.png Dante.png Ellen.jpg

Never say I don't contribute: I'm The Idea Man.

Community Move-Set for Specter. Help build it.

Message 5 of 13 (281 Views)
Fender Bender
3607 posts

Aug 29, 2013
Played MvC3 for 4 days
Played Tekken for a week
Put s HUGE amount of time into FF: Dissidia 012
CALL OF DUTY
Message 6 of 13 (261 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1418 posts

Aug 29, 2013

Here is my history.

SF2 = I was in love with martial arts when I was young so my father bought me this as a birthday gift. I also have ALL SF games.

MK =

It was in a local arcade and it was my first competitive game making people around my arcade lose to me almost all the time. I also have MK9.

Tekken = I played Tekken 3 first and hated it however I gave it one more chance in 2000 and I fell in love with the franchise.

Injustice = I was a boss at this game ranking 200 in the world last week.

PSABR = A fun game I liked to play untill I turned competitive at it.

Message 7 of 13 (254 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
9918 posts

Aug 29, 2013
It all started with MK...

Mortal Kombat:

When I was a kid I played this religiously. This game was, is, and will always be my favorite video game series of all time. I first played when I was about 4.

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo:

Another timeless classic. I played this around the same time as MK, and I always picked Blanka and Vega.

Tekken:

I played Tekken when I was 5. And right then I knew I was hooked on the series. Tekken 2 was the Tekken I spent most time with as a kid. Armor King and Kuma were my favorites.

Marvel vs. Capcom:

I remember seeing all of my favorite Marvel characters and going crazy. Spider-Man, Captain America, Hulk, Venom, and Gambit. I was never any good but man these games were and still are great fun. Started playing when I was 8.

Super Smash Bros:

When I turned 10, I played the first Smash. And it was a blast. Playing as Luigi and kicking the crap out of Link was amazing. Then I got Melee and it was even better. Everything about Smash 64 was amplified in Melee. I spent countless hours on Melee.

Playstation All-Stars

At the age of 19, PSAS came along. I was ecstatic about the game because it had all my favorite PS characters in one game. And it was a brawler like Smash. And I came to love this game like no other, even surpassing my love for Smash.

So for me the Top 3 are:

Mortal Kombat
Tekken
PSASBR
 photo Hammer Girl_zpsnrg29qur.jpg
Message 8 of 13 (236 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
870 posts

Aug 29, 2013

I'm a fighter veteran here's what I've owned: