Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Oct 30 2013
By: GTAMOBSTERX4 Treasure Hunter 5539 posts

BOARDSUS.PLAYSTATION.COM - What happened??!!

[ Edited ]
10 replies 241 views Edited Oct 30, 2013

What a mess this site is. This place used to be one totally cool forum. After the release of the PS3, this site went down south and I left. Replacing our accounts with our PSN accounts was a good step, but the changes to the layout were horrible, and the segration of the franchises was a terrible, TERRIBLE move.

Everything used to be here, in one place - No separate sites. Forum divisions used to make sense. We had a PSP General, PS2, Playstation Lounge, Genres, and in those Genres, popular titles. Then the franchises were moved to their own sites. I thought we hit a rock bottom.

However, I recently log on and see this mess? The layout is even worse than before which I didn't even think was possible! The forum division is asinine and I see forums for games that died a long, LONG time ago, however the new hit games don't have a forum of their own. Heck, even the Playstation Vita doesn't even have a forum! The mod population seems nonexistent. Where's Grim? It's like this place is a dead ghost town.

What happened? :smileyindifferent:

Message 1 of 11 (241 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13328 posts

Re: BOARDSUS.PLAYSTATION.COM - What happened??!!

[ Edited ]
Oct 30, 2013

The entire point is that our forum does not have a million members to fill every single section. Many of them took days and days for someone to reply to a thread.

What they did was centralize the community into fewer forums. The idea is that most people with a Vita also have a PS3 or will be getting a PS4. Instead of having a dead Vita forum (as it basically was before this merging), they made one general board where everyone could interact. It has a larger concentration of members and ensures you get replies.

It has problems. But it was better than having a bunch of dead sections.

Welcoming Committee Twitter
Message 2 of 11 (228 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5539 posts

Oct 30, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

The entire point is that our forum does not have a million members to fill every single section. Many of them took days and days for someone to reply to a thread.

What they did was centralize the community into fewer forums. The idea is that most people with a Vita also have a PS3 or will be getting a PS4. Instead of having a dead Vita forum (as it basically was before this merging), they made one general board where everyone could interact. It has a larger concentration of members and ensures you get replies.

Nope.

There was plenty, of activity in the forum I remember. We had a 4 subforums alone dedicated to systems like the PSP. If there were just a PS3, PS4, and PS Vita in addition to a Playstation Lounge, like before, this site would be a lot better. "Lack of users" is not the problem.

Additonally, this site has become decentrailized with Socom, Killzone, and others having their own web-forum. Again, terrible move.

We have a Killzone Liberation forum, but no Mercenary? Really?

Anyone who understands basic website design, knowns this forum currently has a HORRIBLE design. You shouldn't have to scroll so far down on the Games page just to start getting to content. And when you do get to content, there are way too many forums. Games that shouldn't have their own forums, and games that should are missing.

It's bizarre that the old site was scrapped for this. It's ASTONISHING that this is the Official Playstation forum.

Message 3 of 11 (220 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
14468 posts

Oct 30, 2013

Grim, Patriot, Shun, and the other old Lithium mods and administrators no longer preside over the forums. With the transition to Jive they left their positions. DrGadget and I think one or two others still post here though. So not all is lost. I agree the old boards and forums were structured much better than they are now, but there was also a lot more traffic back then. The loss in traffic justifies the consolidation in my eyes. It really wouldn't make sense if threads disappeared from the first page within minutes, which I assure you they never do anymore.

It's not terrible nor is it superior to the PSU of old but it gets the job done.

To teach is a moment's superiority; not to, everlasting.

Fabulous!
Message 4 of 11 (212 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13328 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 30, 2013

GTAMOBSTERX4 wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

Nope.

There was plenty, of activity in the forum I remember. We had a 4 subforums alone dedicated to systems like the PSP. If there were just a PS3, PS4, and PS Vita in addition to a Playstation Lounge, like before, this site would be a lot better. "Lack of users" is not the problem.

Additonally, this site has become decentrailized with Socom, Killzone, and others having their own web-forum. Again, terrible move.

Anyone who understands basic website design, knowns this forum currently has a HORRIBLE design. You shouldn't have to scroll so far down on the Games page just to start getting to content. And when you do get to content, there are way too many forums. Games that shouldn't have their own forums, and games that should are missing.

It's bizarre that the old site was scrapped for this. It's ASTONISHING that this is the Official Playstation forum.

I also remember there being more activity, but do not delude yourself. There were tons of empty sub forums. And this is partly why we have general boards like "Action-Adventure" and "RPG". The main reason this change was needed was from the loss of members.

What I find funny is that you mention all of these little subforums about old franchises. A lot of these subforums are from the time you were here. And, guess what? They were pretty empty then as well.

The new design is attempting to move the people into fewer groups. This is why we have the "Sports" board. This is why we have the "Racing" board. Only once you scroll down will you get into the specific game series, but most people just chat about those games in the general boards. Some are used as archives.

I liked the boards better back then as well. But that was not an organization thing. That was just because of the sheer amount of users we had. You cam eback at a time where new people are joining in anticipation of the PS4. 4 months ago, this place was pretty dull. Earlier this year, only a few boards were active (PSASBR, OT, Uncharted, Home). The centralization was necessary.

Welcoming Committee Twitter
Message 5 of 11 (209 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5539 posts

Oct 30, 2013

darknovaxp wrote:

Grim, Patriot, Shun, and the other old Lithium mods and administrators no longer preside over the forums. With the transition to Jive they left their positions. DrGadget and I think one or two others still post here though. So not all is lost. I agree the old boards and forums were structured much better than they are now, but there was also a lot more traffic back then. The loss in traffic justifies the consolidation in my eyes. It really wouldn't make sense if threads disappeared from the first page within minutes, which I assure you they never do anymore.

It's not terrible nor is it superior to the PSU of old but it gets the job done.

Thanks for an update on some old members.

This site would have more traffic if it wasn't so poorly designed. I remember the traffic at the moment they integrated the PSN accounts. Traffic was still high then, so most likely the traffic left, like me, cause of the poor changes.

You say this site is more "condensed" but that is false. Games used to be structured by Genre headings, now they are Alphabetical - which is fine, HOWEVER why the Sony has some games and series A-Z, and then after that a bunch of series is behind me. Doesn't make sense, and this is after you scroll a page to get past the useless icons.

Forum go like this:

Playstation

Playstation General

Playstation 4

Playstation 3

Playstation Vita

Playstation Legacy Systems

Games (By Genre)

Action/Adventure

MMOs

Shooters

Sports

Say you click Shooters,

Shooters General

Call of Duty Series

Battlefield Series

Killzone Series

Resistance Series

Socom

And so on. If a particular series has enough traffic to divide, like let's say Call of Duty, do so. If not, then just lable it by the series name, like Socom and include all discussions there.

In addition to this, a lot of subforums here need axed as they are dead.

Message 6 of 11 (204 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5539 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 30, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

GTAMOBSTERX4 wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

Nope.

I also remember there being more activity, but do not delude yourself. There were tons of empty sub forums. And this is partly why we have general boards like "Action-Adventure" and "RPG". The main reason this change was needed was from the loss of members.

What I find funny is that you mention all of these little subforums about old franchises. A lot of these subforums are from the time you were here. And, guess what? They were pretty empty then as well.

The new design is attempting to move the people into fewer groups. This is why we have the "Sports" board. This is why we have the "Racing" board. Only once you scroll down will you get into the specific game series, but most people just chat about those games in the general boards. Some are used as archives.

I liked the boards better back then as well. But that was not an organization thing. That was just because of the sheer amount of users we had. You cam eback at a time where new people are joining in anticipation of the PS4. 4 months ago, this place was pretty dull. Earlier this year, only a few boards were active (PSASBR, OT, Uncharted, Home). The centralization was necessary.

It's not me who is "delusional". Yes, there were empty forums (FEAR for example), however there are much more empty forums now. My point is to not even go back to less empty forums, it's to get rid of empty forums and have forums that make sense. You're telling me there isn't enough traffic for dedicated PS4, PS3, PS Vita, and PS Legacy subforums? No, that's absurd.

For example. If I want to ask the community about a question regarding Ghost Recon, I have to scroll all the way to the bottom, make sure there is no "Series forum" that is randomly placed, then to the "Games (A-Z)" section, which is above where I came from, see it's not there, then scroll yet again, above and click "Shooter". Insane

Instead, I should scroll to "Shooter", see that there is no Ghost Recon subforum, and click "Shooter General". Makes a lot more sense, is simpler, and I'm not scrolling to the bottom just to scroll back up

Message 7 of 11 (198 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4980 posts

Oct 30, 2013

Welcome to back to the forums.

We recently went through an overhaul of all the forums (I think in June or July?) where a lot of the older sub sections were in fact pulled/put into archives.

I think once you familiarize yourself again with the forums, you'll be fine. If you can't find what you're looking for then just post it in General, if it's in the wrong place then I'm sure it would get moved anyway.

There's always the search function at the top right hand corner. ^

Legendary_Vicki's SigLegendary_Vicki   Welcoming Committee v2.0 

Message 8 of 11 (180 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29911 posts

Oct 30, 2013

they have so many issues still have an issue they didnt fix if you changed your name in my settings menu then sign out and sign back in it changes it back to the previous name even if its changed on the psn account too!

Message 9 of 11 (162 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
32672 posts

Oct 30, 2013

GTAMOBSTERX4 wrote:

What a mess this site is. This place used to be one totally cool forum. After the release of the PS3, this site went down south and I left. Replacing our accounts with our PSN accounts was a good step, but the changes to the layout were horrible, and the segration of the franchises was a terrible, TERRIBLE move.

Everything used to be here, in one place - No separate sites. Forum divisions used to make sense. We had a PSP General, PS2, Playstation Lounge, Genres, and in those Genres, popular titles. Then the franchises were moved to their own sites. I thought we hit a rock bottom.

However, I recently log on and see this mess? The layout is even worse than before which I didn't even think was possible! The forum division is asinine and I see forums for games that died a long, LONG time ago, however the new hit games don't have a forum of their own. Heck, even the Playstation Vita doesn't even have a forum! The mod population seems nonexistent. Where's Grim? It's like this place is a dead ghost town.

What happened? :smileyindifferent:

nice to see more people with the same thoughts.

the people in charge of the forums seem to think everyone is a complete idiot and navigationg through multiple forums for different systems and games is too challenging, so they merged everything into cluster-f*** mega forums. because searching through hundreds of topics in 1 general forum is easier than searching through a handful in 1 dedicated forum.

they also felt the need to remove 90% of the games forums because they werent "active enough", yet still keep the forums for 1st party games that no one gives a s*** about and no one posts in.

Message 10 of 11 (133 Views)
0 Likes