Keyblade Wielder
7426 posts

Re: Do the Mods use favoritism on here?

Mar 12, 2013

Very well put Moble. Non agressive and helpful in nature. I agree and kudos.

Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 31 (240 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4402 posts

Mar 12, 2013

GOW71 wrote:

Why thank you kind sir.  Kudos to you for the kudos.  Unless I run out later, then I will be taking it back.:smileylol:JK.

Moble

Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 31 (237 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
27616 posts

Mar 12, 2013

GOW71 wrote:

Agreed, well said.

BRIT-KO

Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 31 (227 Views)
PlayStation MVP
46582 posts

Mar 12, 2013

+3   Couldn't have said it better myself Moble

Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 31 (211 Views)
Fender Bender
3121 posts

Re: Do the Mods use favortism on here?

Mar 13, 2013

I have had this issue happen quite a few times myself. I have brought the subject up quite a few times. Sadly once I did have my account  suspended once for 24 hours  in the past 4 years due to a flame war that insued because of my questioning. And that was almost 2 years after the first time I brought up the problem. 

The First time my questions and threads were locked because I questioned the problem, and it was locked for a long time. One time about a year or so ago the original thread in question was unlocked for a little while, and then the Original question thread and all evidence of it were all of a sudden erased, never to be seen again along with about 15 other threads that relate to the problem. after years of trying to solve the issue and ovedr come the unfair treatment I have recieved, the problem has still not been solved. 

Yet I do have to say that the few times lately that I have had to contact MODs or MVP or PS HOME MODs and Devs, for the most part I have been treated with respect... that is not how I was treated in 09 or 2010... and into 2011. However this year and last year most contact I have made has been ok... maybe there is a different Crew now... not that I am defending past behaviour, yet I hope who ever is up and running things now is taking a look at the bigger problems and issues and trying to be fair. 

Yesterday marked my first PS3's 4th birthday, yet I have been a Sony supporter for over 15 years now. I hope that does not change... sadly lately (int he past few years) I have questioned my finaccial support of Playstation as well as my gaming choices on a political level... I wish it was not this way... and if Sega was actually making consoles and not just a few labtops, I would most likely be switching aliances... I will never be an Xbox fan, microsoft ruined the chance to have me as a supporter before they ever even made a Console, and I hope Sony does not follow in thier footsteps, because I am a great person to have as a fan and supporter as well as a tester, not so good to have as an enemy or non supporter. Not that I would ever do anything directly or intentionally to harm or hurt the company, yet not having me would be bad for buisness just as it would be for any company to lose any fans or supporters. I think Sony is starting to realize how important we the fans and supporters are...

Look at all the hoops they have been jumping threw in the past few months and past year... Stuff like the Plus Program and spend 50 bucks get 10 back stuff is really more for the gamers and owners rather then for the company. It seems to me lately they are really trying to keep us here... Yes things are over priced most times and we do not see as much communication as we should, yet I think they are trying... lets hope it stays that way and Sony does not throw everything else to the back burner when the PS4 comes out... cause that would suck. 

As for the Favortisum... I don't doubt it from personal experiance. Yet also something we need to think about is that even the Devs and MODs havve friends... maybe they are not as proffessional as they should be sometimes, yet they are human... the best I can say is... if you see something wrong, try to do something bout it in a positive way (no one wants to drink vinigar) Yet try not to give up if you think somehting is wrong... then they do win if they are doing bad things... the only way to see something change for the better or to see things fair is to speak out about it and try to see it get fixed. Sticking together in a positive and fair way is the best way and most rewarding... Stand your ground and try your hardest... even if you havve to stand alone, atleast at the end of the day you can feel good about yourself even if you don't feel good about the situation... I do this or try anyway, everyday... its how I play my games too... with Honor, and respect... and sometimes a little bit of agression when nessisary, yet always with hope. even when I seem like I am at the end of my rope, I try... its all you can do sometimes... Even if no one else understands, or you hit brick walls of people who treat you badly, at the end of the day if you can say I tried my best, you win... (not that its always about winning or losing... sometimes its just about how hard you tried to get to that point.)  If they want to show favortisum or unfair practices in buisness or play, that just lets you know to stay as far away from them as posible, in and out of the forums or in game.

To this day, the threads that have been loked and then Deleted have not come back nor do I think they will... like with any corperation or buisness that wants more money, there are secrets. Some still find a way out in the open even when people try thier hardest to hide them or erase them from thier past. If you truely think that something is wrong, please don't give up on fixing it or bringing it to the light... even though some fights are not worth the energy, some are and there are always people who are willing to listen and try to help... you  will never find them if you stay quiet. And then the problem will never get fixed. 

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 31 (198 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
32597 posts

Mar 13, 2013

mixedkidbx wrote:

i've always known there was favoritism among the mods with certain members regardless if they deny it.  I've been around these forums for a long time and have see it before in the past long ago.

Heck, the old mods back in the day i know didnt like me cause i was always ragging on them about playing favorites.  Personally i dont think it's worth reporting someone.  Just go about your business and if that person in question gets dealt with then so be it.  If not well then you know the mods arent doing their job.

There's enough mods to cover each area of the forums (at least there used to be) so they should be catching things, especially if they are taking part in disscussion in that area of the forums.

To each their own tho, i just never saw a good enough reason to report someone from seeing past experiences with others doing the reporting and hearing things just like you say happen to you about getting banned for a few days.

On behalf of the "old mods" I hereby apologize to you if you were the victim of favoritism or getting on someone's enemy list.  This shouldn't have been.  I for one didn't have the energy to do my job and maintain an enemy list.  As for my friends, if you were spamming up the place right under my nose that's not exactly the actions of a friend.  It's kind of an insult to me, acting like I would just let it slide.  Cleaning up threads was extra work for me, and a real friend wouldn't do that.  A lot of you have known me for years and were on the receiving end of my warnings.  I warned friends, "enemies", and people I didn't recognize at all alike.  I'm sure it seemed mean to you, but I really wasn't going out of my way to attack anyone.  So I really don't understand how any mods here could spend the required level of effort to protect friends and carry out a vendetta against their enemies.  At least back in the day, the post volume here was so very overwhelming, as were the abuse reports.  All I know is I couldn't do it.  There's just no way.  It was so much easier to just treat everyone the same.

I also got a zillion PM's from people complaining about things because I was so very visible.  And I got my share of "mod hate mail".  Being a mod is definitely not a popularity contest.  Much of it was "Why did you lock my thread you moron?"  It doesn't take long to develop a thincker skin and not take this personally.  Modding the forums really is a LOT of work, so I had to spend extra effort just to post in threads like any other user.  It took effort.  Being a mod here is more work than being an admin at any other forum I've been to.  I figured it was worth it though to maintain a presence and be "approachable".  People were generally a bit wary of the mods because let's face it - that bold red name tag is a bit scary.  But as the approachable mod, people would ask me things they were afraid to ask any of the other mods.  Then I would look into the matter and get them a decent answer.  I think the closest thing we have now to an approachable mod is Trawnza.  So be nice to Trawnza.

And I think I did a remarkable job of being fair to these people sending me PM's.  I fully understood how frustrating it is to have your thread locked/deleted when you didn't think there was anything wrong with it.  And I would work with the users on things like that, as fairly and objectively as possible.  On a few occasions they even persuaded me to unlock their threads.  And I haven't brought this up in a long time, but one of the things the users can't see is the deleted posts.  If a thread is inherently volatile and invites spam, flame wars, etc. I might have already cleaned out the thread twice just to see it spin out of control again.  You see me locking a thread after 10 posts.  What you can't see is the 30 posts I deleted the first time and the 40 posts I deleted the second time.

It didn't take many of these for me to develop an eye for spotting threads that were doomed to implode.  I usually locked them just before they did.  Sometimes the OP would beg me to unlock them, and I would, just to show them how quickly they actually did implode.  They usually sent me a PM saying OK go ahead and lock it.  I'm not bragging here.  I'm just saying it got really obvious after maybe the 10th time I had to spend an hour cleaning out a thread.  Certain things really stood out.

I also did my fair share of fighting for users I knew were in the right.  Not because they were my friends, but because I just happened to be there when it all went down so I saw what really happened.  I would put my reputation on the line and stand up for them when I saw anything like that.  You didn't get to see that either.  But I did fight for several users on various occasions.  I have been on the receving end of what I felt was mistreatment by the mods, and I didn't want to see any of it on my watch.

Was I ever unfair to you, mixedkidbx?  I really don't recall ever warning you for anything.  If you think I was unfair to you, then I apologize for that as well.  It was never my intent.

I highlighted the middle of your post.

I can absolutely tell you that this is the wrong way to do it.  Even for me, it was impossible to be everywhere, and I tried.  This place is so huge.  And even back when we had like 20 mods at once, there was no way for us to cover all the boards all the time.  Simply.  Not.  Possible.

I told people repeatedly how much we relied on the abuse reports.  It's easy to check those every couple minutes.  It's impossible to check every thread on the forum every few minutes.  Really big problems were easy to spot.  Suddenly there were 30 abuse reports on the same thread.  Something nasty must be going down.  Drop everything and go see what's going on in that thread!  If you want to get the attention of the mods, the fastest way is the report abuse system.  It made such a huge difference (and I'm sure it still does).  It's faster than PMing the mods.  There is nothing faster than an abuse report.  Seriously.

And it was like I told people back then (I'm sure some of you remember me saying this).  This is YOUR forum.  Sony might own it but you make it your home away from home.  You make it a ciommunity.  If you want a nice place to go where you can have meaningful, intelligent discussions with other people of similar interests and passions, then please report the abuses immediately.  If you want to live in a pig sty or the "wild west" where anything goes and people get attacked left and right for sport, then whatever you do, don't report anything.  As for me, I would prefer a clean, fun environment.  That means reporting the abuses.

Now if you're foolish enough to engage the troll and flame them back within the reported thread ("you're such a stupid ***** why don't you die already") then guess what happens when 5 mods converge on that thread?  The original troll gets a warning for causing problems and you get a warning for flaming.  As Judge Judy would say, you want CLEAN HANDS.  So instead of flaming or taking the law into your own hands, just report it and move on.  If it's something really awful, there's nothing wrong with jumping up and down on that report button.  Some things are that bad.  But if it's just the every day "this guy's a jerk" abuse, report it once and move on.

Very rarely did I ever consider the person reporting the problem to be abusing the abuse report system as a clever way of causing problems.  Yes it did happen, but these people were going well out of their way to mess with the mods by making false abuse reports.  It was really obvious, and it was far from clever.  So if you're just wandering by and want to report something, don't be afraid of reprisal.  The mods are relying on you.  They do not want to bite the hand that feeds them data.  The mods are very thankful for the people who can report the abuses in a timely manner.

Dang, you guys got me doing all this mod work here and I'm not even a mod...

Even if it's unclear what you're reporting, I would never consider that an abuse in and of itself.  Just a vague abuse report.  There might be someone else reporting the same thing, so I would just read that one in addition.  If you want it handled, be crystal clear who did what.  If the user in question has been exhibiting a pattern of abuse, then it helps to include links to these other posts.  You can make a strong case in the abuse report.  Use it.

The faster the mods can get there, the better.  Mods don't want a problem to spin out of control for a couple hours.  What a mess that is!  It takes a while to sort it all out, and it encourages otherwise law-abiding users to pile on and become part of the problem.  You think - Clearly the mods don't care, so why not?  Well the mods do care, but they were just slow to arrive this time.  If it was me, I would be careful to issue warnings to all the users who tried to pile on and make the problem worse.

So yeah, abuse reports are very important.

I hope this helps, and again I am sorry if anyone mistreated you from the old days.

Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 31 (190 Views)
Fender Bender
3121 posts

Mar 13, 2013

MODs and Devs are Human, as you can see from the last post...

Not saying that makes some behavior right.... yet at least this past  one has made an appology, which is more then some people in everyday life would do... Kudo's for that last post... I don't know what happend yet it sounds like some un resolved issues just got a little closure. 

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 31 (179 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8423 posts

Mar 13, 2013

DrGadget wrote:

mixedkidbx wrote:

i've always known there was favoritism among the mods with certain members regardless if they deny it.  I've been around these forums for a long time and have see it before in the past long ago.

Heck, the old mods back in the day i know didnt like me cause i was always ragging on them about playing favorites.  Personally i dont think it's worth reporting someone.  Just go about your business and if that person in question gets dealt with then so be it.  If not well then you know the mods arent doing their job.

There's enough mods to cover each area of the forums (at least there used to be) so they should be catching things, especially if they are taking part in disscussion in that area of the forums.

To each their own tho, i just never saw a good enough reason to report someone from seeing past experiences with others doing the reporting and hearing things just like you say happen to you about getting banned for a few days.

On behalf of the "old mods" I hereby apologize to you if you were the victim of favoritism or getting on someone's enemy list.  This shouldn't have been.  I for one didn't have the energy to do my job and maintain an enemy list.  As for my friends, if you were spamming up the place right under my nose that's not exactly the actions of a friend.  It's kind of an insult to me, acting like I would just let it slide.  Cleaning up threads was extra work for me, and a real friend wouldn't do that.  A lot of you have known me for years and were on the receiving end of my warnings.  I warned friends, "enemies", and people I didn't recognize at all alike.  I'm sure it seemed mean to you, but I really wasn't going out of my way to attack anyone.  So I really don't understand how any mods here could spend the required level of effort to protect friends and carry out a vendetta against their enemies.  At least back in the day, the post volume here was so very overwhelming, as were the abuse reports.  All I know is I couldn't do it.  There's just no way.  It was so much easier to just treat everyone the same.

I also got a zillion PM's from people complaining about things because I was so very visible.  And I got my share of "mod hate mail".  Being a mod is definitely not a popularity contest.  Much of it was "Why did you lock my thread you moron?"  It doesn't take long to develop a thincker skin and not take this personally.  Modding the forums really is a LOT of work, so I had to spend extra effort just to post in threads like any other user.  It took effort.  Being a mod here is more work than being an admin at any other forum I've been to.  I figured it was worth it though to maintain a presence and be "approachable".  People were generally a bit wary of the mods because let's face it - that bold red name tag is a bit scary.  But as the approachable mod, people would ask me things they were afraid to ask any of the other mods.  Then I would look into the matter and get them a decent answer.  I think the closest thing we have now to an approachable mod is Trawnza.  So be nice to Trawnza.

And I think I did a remarkable job of being fair to these people sending me PM's.  I fully understood how frustrating it is to have your thread locked/deleted when you didn't think there was anything wrong with it.  And I would work with the users on things like that, as fairly and objectively as possible.  On a few occasions they even persuaded me to unlock their threads.  And I haven't brought this up in a long time, but one of the things the users can't see is the deleted posts.  If a thread is inherently volatile and invites spam, flame wars, etc. I might have already cleaned out the thread twice just to see it spin out of control again.  You see me locking a thread after 10 posts.  What you can't see is the 30 posts I deleted the first time and the 40 posts I deleted the second time.

It didn't take many of these for me to develop an eye for spotting threads that were doomed to implode.  I usually locked them just before they did.  Sometimes the OP would beg me to unlock them, and I would, just to show them how quickly they actually did implode.  They usually sent me a PM saying OK go ahead and lock it.  I'm not bragging here.  I'm just saying it got really obvious after maybe the 10th time I had to spend an hour cleaning out a thread.  Certain things really stood out.

I also did my fair share of fighting for users I knew were in the right.  Not because they were my friends, but because I just happened to be there when it all went down so I saw what really happened.  I would put my reputation on the line and stand up for them when I saw anything like that.  You didn't get to see that either.  But I did fight for several users on various occasions.  I have been on the receving end of what I felt was mistreatment by the mods, and I didn't want to see any of it on my watch.

Was I ever unfair to you, mixedkidbx?  I really don't recall ever warning you for anything.  If you think I was unfair to you, then I apologize for that as well.  It was never my intent.

I highlighted the middle of your post.

I can absolutely tell you that this is the wrong way to do it.  Even for me, it was impossible to be everywhere, and I tried.  This place is so huge.  And even back when we had like 20 mods at once, there was no way for us to cover all the boards all the time.  Simply.  Not.  Possible.

I told people repeatedly how much we relied on the abuse reports.  It's easy to check those every couple minutes.  It's impossible to check every thread on the forum every few minutes.  Really big problems were easy to spot.  Suddenly there were 30 abuse reports on the same thread.  Something nasty must be going down.  Drop everything and go see what's going on in that thread!  If you want to get the attention of the mods, the fastest way is the report abuse system.  It made such a huge difference (and I'm sure it still does).  It's faster than PMing the mods.  There is nothing faster than an abuse report.  Seriously.

And it was like I told people back then (I'm sure some of you remember me saying this).  This is YOUR forum.  Sony might own it but you make it your home away from home.  You make it a ciommunity.  If you want a nice place to go where you can have meaningful, intelligent discussions with other people of similar interests and passions, then please report the abuses immediately.  If you want to live in a pig sty or the "wild west" where anything goes and people get attacked left and right for sport, then whatever you do, don't report anything.  As for me, I would prefer a clean, fun environment.  That means reporting the abuses.

Now if you're foolish enough to engage the troll and flame them back within the reported thread ("you're such a stupid ***** why don't you die already") then guess what happens when 5 mods converge on that thread?  The original troll gets a warning for causing problems and you get a warning for flaming.  As Judge Judy would say, you want CLEAN HANDS.  So instead of flaming or taking the law into your own hands, just report it and move on.  If it's something really awful, there's nothing wrong with jumping up and down on that report button.  Some things are that bad.  But if it's just the every day "this guy's a jerk" abuse, report it once and move on.

Very rarely did I ever consider the person reporting the problem to be abusing the abuse report system as a clever way of causing problems.  Yes it did happen, but these people were going well out of their way to mess with the mods by making false abuse reports.  It was really obvious, and it was far from clever.  So if you're just wandering by and want to report something, don't be afraid of reprisal.  The mods are relying on you.  They do not want to bite the hand that feeds them data.  The mods are very thankful for the people who can report the abuses in a timely manner.

Dang, you guys got me doing all this mod work here and I'm not even a mod...

Even if it's unclear what you're reporting, I would never consider that an abuse in and of itself.  Just a vague abuse report.  There might be someone else reporting the same thing, so I would just read that one in addition.  If you want it handled, be crystal clear who did what.  If the user in question has been exhibiting a pattern of abuse, then it helps to include links to these other posts.  You can make a strong case in the abuse report.  Use it.

The faster the mods can get there, the better.  Mods don't want a problem to spin out of control for a couple hours.  What a mess that is!  It takes a while to sort it all out, and it encourages otherwise law-abiding users to pile on and become part of the problem.  You think - Clearly the mods don't care, so why not?  Well the mods do care, but they were just slow to arrive this time.  If it was me, I would be careful to issue warnings to all the users who tried to pile on and make the problem worse.

So yeah, abuse reports are very important.

I hope this helps, and again I am sorry if anyone mistreated you from the old days.

Never said you personally......   as honestly i cant remember all of the mods from way back then.  Heck i forgot you was even a mod back then till a few posts ago then it dawned on me.

I just remember there were some ppl that got away with a lot back then no matter how much you reported them.  Again as for the names of those ppl and the mods back then i have no idea.  Remember back then we all had different names becuase these current names are of our PSN ID's.

Please use plain text.
Message 28 of 31 (163 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8666 posts

Mar 13, 2013
Not so much favoritism with these new mods, more like they just do what they want and don't ask anyone.

moving threads when there is no reason to.
locking threads when there is no reason to.
changing the forums when there is no reason to.

blah

~Fighting the Good Fight~
Please use plain text.
Message 29 of 31 (152 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
8493 posts

Mar 17, 2013
There has been a new influx of mods as of late (the last month) and I myself have questioned some of the actions I have seen recently in that time. I was told that the team is going through growing pains, and I can except that as a viable answer. We are all human.
Support Forums
Please use plain text.
Message 30 of 31 (105 Views)