Treasure Hunter
7871 posts

Re: Forum Ranks

[ Edited ]
Mar 20, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

DVM-501 wrote:
It really depends. If you look at the statistics in your profile you will see everything that is available to be used as criteria for your rank. The Lithium software allows for the customer, ie Sony, to pick and choose one, several, or all of those statistics as criteria for a rank, and each rank can have a different set on criteria.

I dont believe anyone is actually involed in forum ranks excpet for the aformentioned exceptions. Unless I miss-understood and you meant to imply that our ranks are based off of an automated system that pulls information from our profiles to generate a rank. (which I highly doubt as well)

Since there are a set pool of ranks, of which I have seen most of them, the criteria is pretty generalized and attainable by almost anyone (postcount)

The ranks are automated and completely handled by the forum software, though an Admin could force a rank change if they really wanted to (I've only ever seen this when Admins played pranks on the Mods).

What I am saying above is that the forum software allows for the Admins to adjust the criteria that will be used by the automated system for each individual rank, and that each individual piece of data that you find in your profile is available to be used as criteria.

In my experience nearly all forums use just post count to determine the ranks, with Lithium being among the very few who allow for more than just post count, or no post count at all. However, most of the Lithium based forums still use post count as the major factor and simply add a couple of other things so that the users can't simply spam their way through the ranks. But this is done by choice by the owner of the forum, in this case Sony.

So, is post count the major factor on these forums? Probably, but we simply don't know that for a fact. All that we do know is that there is a rather sizable list of statistics that can be used to determine when you will achieve the next rank.

Message 21 of 35 (178 Views)
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Mar 20, 2013

ah, yes that is much more clear.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 22 of 35 (167 Views)
0 Likes
Platinum
54493 posts

Mar 20, 2013

BRIT-KO wrote:

the_original_se wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

I was under the impression it had almost everything to do with post-count, seeing as it really doesn't matter..At all, and every forum I've ever been to has nifty titles that coincide with a set # of posts. MVPs and Moderators and forum-competitions being exceptions obviously.

im sure post count has to do with most of the ranking requirements.

the ranks being secretive have lead people to believe that things like kudos, creating topics and answered topics effect ranks. i highly doubt they do.

post count, account age and time online are the only things i think effect the ranks.

Yep, there's a lot more too it that just post count, DOJ, as well as what the SE has said posts made, Kudos received & given & correct answers authored are all some things that count towards ranking up, but there are other factors, some of which we'll never know, but that's part of the fun, the not knowing, otherwise if someone knew they were only say 25 posts from the next level we may see some silly one word/one line posts just to get there.

BRIT-KO

its only 9:30 am, I have yet to hit the support areas, and just got this message because of your post Brit.

Could Not Give Kudos

• Kudos could not be given to the message for the following reason:
  • Kudos Flood: You have exceeded the limit of 50 kudoed messages per day.
Message 23 of 35 (146 Views)
PlayStation Community Manager (Retired)
4738 posts

Mar 20, 2013

Fun fact: Only one user has the second highest rank.  No one has the highest, yet.

Tempest_Fire
Ex-PlayStation Network Senior Community Manager
Sony Interactive Entertainment America
Message 24 of 35 (136 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3987 posts

Mar 20, 2013

Tempest_Fire wrote:

Fun fact: Only one user has the second highest rank.  No one has the highest, yet.

What if one of us goes crazy on here(ahem PP lol) and posts our lights out

:-)

photo 220dee8b-5bcd-4c72-9468-b21cfc72f31f_zpsfd870647.jpg
Message 25 of 35 (130 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
19728 posts

Mar 20, 2013

Tempest_Fire wrote:

And that one person would be shungo, correct? He has the Platinum rank at 4 dots, right?

I remember seeing him when the forums updated last Summer and he was the only person I saw who was that high. I saw a couple of ranks around him, like VP of Gaming and Shinra Executive, but never that elusive final rank...

Spoiler
I'd be really sad if we never found out what that final rank is. Smiley Sad

Message 26 of 35 (130 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8267 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 20, 2013

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:

Tempest_Fire wrote:

And that one person would be shungo, correct? He has the Platinum rank at 4 dots, right?

I remember seeing him when the forums updated last Summer and he was the only person I saw who was that high. I saw a couple of ranks around him, like VP of Gaming and Shinra Executive, but never that elusive final rank...

Spoiler
I'd be really sad if we never found out what that final rank is. Smiley Sad

Spoiler
From the looks of it we wont either lol.

I do think he does have the most when we was able to look who had the most with jive he was on the top...

shungokusatsu

so there is one after Plat... 

The Few  ?

Solid Snake 

Phoenix

Everlasting 

Message 27 of 35 (123 Views)
0 Likes
Platinum
54493 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 20, 2013

havocsarmy wrote:

Tempest_Fire wrote:

What if one of us goes crazy on here(ahem PP lol) and posts our lights out

:-)

Is it 5 dots on that platinum @ the max?
I do post a lot havoc, but at least 50% of it is answering questions in FAQ/General/Support...the other 50% is just banter Smiley Tongue

Message 28 of 35 (118 Views)
PlayStation Community Manager (Retired)
4738 posts

Mar 20, 2013

It's not just post count Smiley Wink

Tempest_Fire
Ex-PlayStation Network Senior Community Manager
Sony Interactive Entertainment America
Message 29 of 35 (112 Views)
MVP Support
38743 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 20, 2013

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

BRIT-KO wrote:

the_original_se wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

I was under the impression it had almost everything to do with post-count, seeing as it really doesn't matter..At all, and every forum I've ever been to has nifty titles that coincide with a set # of posts. MVPs and Moderators and forum-competitions being exceptions obviously.

im sure post count has to do with most of the ranking requirements.

the ranks being secretive have lead people to believe that things like kudos, creating topics and answered topics effect ranks. i highly doubt they do.

post count, account age and time online are the only things i think effect the ranks.

Yep, there's a lot more too it that just post count, DOJ, as well as what the SE has said posts made, Kudos received & given & correct answers authored are all some things that count towards ranking up, but there are other factors, some of which we'll never know, but that's part of the fun, the not knowing, otherwise if someone knew they were only say 25 posts from the next level we may see some silly one word/one line posts just to get there.

BRIT-KO

its only 9:30 am, I have yet to hit the support areas, and just got this message because of your post Brit.

Could Not Give Kudos

• Kudos could not be given to the message for the following reason:
  • Kudos Flood: You have exceeded the limit of 50 kudoed messages per day.

@ PP - Glad to be of service!

Come back when you have more, or revoke it from someone else, I'm sure I'm much more deserving Smiley Wink.

@ Tempest, yea I was pretty sure it was more than just post count.

BRIT-KO

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Message 30 of 35 (95 Views)
0 Likes