VP of Gaming
34110 posts

Re: Forum Ranks

Mar 20, 2013

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:

Tempest_Fire wrote:

Fun fact: Only one user has the second highest rank.  No one has the highest, yet.

And that one person would be shungo, correct? He has the Platinum rank at 4 dots, right?

I remember seeing him when the forums updated last Summer and he was the only person I saw who was that high. I saw a couple of ranks around him, like VP of Gaming and Shinra Executive, but never that elusive final rank...

Spoiler
I'd be really sad if we never found out what that final rank is. Smiley Sad

Shungoku is an ex-forum admin for the old Lithium board, of course hes going to have a crap load of posts. Smiley Very Happy

Message 31 of 35 (184 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13493 posts

Mar 20, 2013

Well hey you never know. He only has like 600-700 kudos or something.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 32 of 35 (177 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
13633 posts

Mar 20, 2013

glaciusx25 wrote:

Well hey you never know. He only has like 600-700 kudos or something.

Techncally, I have several thousand Kudos (maybe even close to 10K); one of the forum transitions erased all Kudos, so yeah...not there anymore...

Message 33 of 35 (164 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7871 posts

Mar 20, 2013

the_original_se wrote:

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:

Tempest_Fire wrote:

Fun fact: Only one user has the second highest rank.  No one has the highest, yet.

And that one person would be shungo, correct? He has the Platinum rank at 4 dots, right?

I remember seeing him when the forums updated last Summer and he was the only person I saw who was that high. I saw a couple of ranks around him, like VP of Gaming and Shinra Executive, but never that elusive final rank...

Spoiler
I'd be really sad if we never found out what that final rank is. Smiley Sad

Shungoku is an ex-forum admin for the old Lithium board, of course hes going to have a crap load of posts. Smiley Very Happy

lol, Nah, the fact that the man was a machine is why he has such a huge post count. Shun was pretty much always online and doing something, even before he became an Admin. That's also why he got promoted to Admin, he kept steeling the other Mod's work. Smiley Tongue

Back on the topic of ranks:

One thing that I think would be cool would be if we had more than one set of ranks. Theoretically you can actually take advantage of the Lithium system to generate more than one rank path. By setting a dominate factor, a sub-dominate factor, then the other smaller factors, you can make a system where a member can achieve one of two different ranks that will show the kind of activity the have on the forums, which would allow for a greater verity of ranks on the forums as well as ranks that would feel more personalized.

Here's how I believe that it would work:

We set the major factor to post count, the sub to Kudos, then add a few things to prevent spam.

Start Rank - 0 posts   - 0 Kudos - 0 age

Post 1        - 15 posts - 0 Kudos - 5 Days

Kudo 1       - 5 posts   - 5 Kudos - 5 Days

Post 2        - 30 posts - 3 Kudos - 20 Days

Kudo 2     - 10 posts - 20 Kudos - 20 Days

What this would generate is a system that would allow for those who post a lot but don't receive many Kudos to move through a set of ranks based mostly on post count, and for those who receive a lot of Kudos to move through a set of ranks that's mostly based on Kudos. This would work because if you lack the requirements for one you skip that rank and move to the next.

So when you make 15 posts but have less then 5 Kudos you have the rank of Post 1, but if you only post 5 time but receive 5 Kudos then you skip Post 1 and receive the rank of Kudo 1 instead. We know that they system can function in this manner by observing the old ranks system, before Jive. There were a number of special ranks that only lasted 1 post, and if a user obtained the requirement to reach the rank past the special rank before obtaining the requirements for the special rank they simply skipped the special rank.

Please keep in mind that the above is simply an example of a theory. Honestly I don't ever want to see ranks based mostly on Kudos. I would love to see a system like this, but set up on things other than Kudos, like posts read to accommodate for the members that read more than they post.

Message 34 of 35 (160 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19116 posts

Mar 21, 2013

the_original_se wrote:

and DVM mentioned the old Lithium forum ranks. might as well post this. Smiley Tongue

i remember making it to "Game Sage" before the switch, only remember it because its color was like a turd brown. Smiley Very Happy

I can't believe that I still had a pic of those very same ranks in the colors that they were on the dark and light skins as well.   Smiley Tongue

rankcolors1.png

Message 35 of 35 (135 Views)
0 Likes