Lombax Warrior
226 posts

Re: No new user threads in FAQ section!

[ Edited ]
Mar 14, 2013

In my opinion the "Forum Information and Help" (FAQ) section is now far too prominent anyway and the logical answer is to simply have the section as an extra area under Support (with it's full title) and as currently, allow user threads, i.e. drop FAQ button.

P.S. I accept all major credit cards, but sorry, no COD's Smiley Wink.

Message 11 of 27 (183 Views)
PlayStation Community Manager (Retired)
2875 posts

Mar 14, 2013

Hey Everyone,

Just to clarify, as we have looked at this section's open community-made threads, most of them are misplaced and belong elsewhere. Several belong in Support areas (as they contain chatter expressly requesting help, but not relating to forums at all), some is game chatter that belongs either in PlayStation General or one of the specific Game sub-forums, and many very off-topic and random (but fun) stuff that should live in Off-Topic. 

The idea is to make this a go-to place for Frequently Asked Questions (hence the name "FAQ") concerning forum activity and etiquette, and provide a simple area for new users to orient themselves in. The wide variety of other options for conversation now all have a neat place to be, complete with us up-leveling Off-Topic as a main section for your fun conversations that may have absolutely nothing to do with PlayStation or gaming. We encourage all sorts of topics, but just want to make this simpler and make more sense overall. 

Message 12 of 27 (173 Views)
Lombax Warrior
226 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 14, 2013

GlassWalls wrote:

Hey Everyone,

Just to clarify, as we have looked at this section's open co- mmunity-made threads, most of them are misplaced and belong elsewhere. Several belong in Support areas (as they con0tain chatter expressly requesting help, but not relating to forums at all), some is game chatter that belongs either in PlayStation General or one of the specific Game sub-forums, and many very off-topic and random (but fun) stuff that should live in Off-Topic. 

The idea is to make this a go-to place for Frequently Asked Questions (hence the name "FAQ") concerning forum activity and etiquette, and provide a simple area for new users to orient themselves i

n. The wide variety of other options for conversation now all have a neat place to be, complete with us up-leveling Off-Topic as a main section for your fun conversations that may have absolutely nothing to do with PlayStation or gaming. We encourage all sorts of topics, but just want to make this simpler and make more sense overall. 

Surely, the focus should be on the PlayStation brands and not on the forum itself and I'm also sure that most users know perfectly well how they should behave on a forum, with no age restrictions (e.g. no swearing), so I think you should seriously consider taking up my suggestion (of moving section to Support and dropping FAQ tab). FAQ as a tab name is also misleading as it could imply frequently asked questions on a console etc, so at the very least it should be renamed. Calling it FAQ could very well result in users posting in the wrong area.

With regards to your point, that user posts in the "Forum Information and Help" section are not on message, if you examine the first ten posts, they seem to be very much on message (e.g. Sorry, unable to complete the action you requested...), so I hope you will seriously re-consider this change. The "sticky" posts seem to already fulfill the job of posting official forum information. 

Message 13 of 27 (152 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
38814 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 14, 2013

Tribble6 wrote:

GlassWalls wrote:

Hey Everyone,

Just to clarify, as we have looked at this section's open co- mmunity-made threads, most of them are misplaced and belong elsewhere. Several belong in Support areas (as they con0tain chatter expressly requesting help, but not relating to forums at all), some is game chatter that belongs either in PlayStation General or one of the specific Game sub-forums, and many very off-topic and random (but fun) stuff that should live in Off-Topic. 

The idea is to make this a go-to place for Frequently Asked Questions (hence the name "FAQ") concerning forum activity and etiquette, and provide a simple area for new users to orient themselves i

n. The wide variety of other options for conversation now all have a neat place to be, complete with us up-leveling Off-Topic as a main section for your fun conversations that may have absolutely nothing to do with PlayStation or gaming. We encourage all sorts of topics, but just want to make this simpler and make more sense overall. 

Surely, the focus should be on the PlayStation brands and not on the forum itself and I'm also sure that most users know perfectly well how they should behave on a forum, with no age restrictions (e.g. no swearing), so I think you should seriously consider taking up my suggestion (of moving section to Support and dropping FAQ tab). FAQ as a tab name is also misleading as it could imply frequently asked questions on a console etc, so at the very least it should be renamed. Calling it FAQ could very well result in users posting in the wrong area.

With regards to your point, that user posts in the "Forum Information and Help" section are not on message, if you examine the first ten posts, they seem to be very much on message (e.g. Sorry, unable to complete the action you requested...), so I hope you will seriously re-consider this change. The "sticky" posts seem to already fulfill the job of posting official forum information. 

I'll be interested to see where the team are going to go with this because as you have pointed out & as GW has stated also soon all future Threads will be lead by someone from SCEA.

While I can see your point Tribble (and thanks for mentioning my own Thread lol), I can also see how it is one part of the Forum that gets out of hand because it is the first part of the Community so many come to & post their question, however it could arguably be said so do other areas too.

About a week or so ago this particular Forum was a sea of red because so many posts had been moved by Moderators to the correct part of the Community, but I'd like to know where I would post my Thread in future when the changes take place, there must be another place to be able to do so.

As for the stickies, there is certainly one that in my honest opinion needs to be removed & probably should have been some time ago, the rest actually have a lot of useful information in them but maybe some consolidation could take place.

I hate opening up a particular part of the Community only to have to almost scroll immediately down to see the first post, there are a couple of areas like that.

BRIT-KO

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Message 14 of 27 (142 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Mar 14, 2013

GlassWalls wrote:

Hey Everyone,

Just to clarify, as we have looked at this section's open community-made threads, most of them are misplaced and belong elsewhere. Several belong in Support areas (as they contain chatter expressly requesting help, but not relating to forums at all), some is game chatter that belongs either in PlayStation General or one of the specific Game sub-forums, and many very off-topic and random (but fun) stuff that should live in Off-Topic. 

The idea is to make this a go-to place for Frequently Asked Questions (hence the name "FAQ") concerning forum activity and etiquette, and provide a simple area for new users to orient themselves in. The wide variety of other options for conversation now all have a neat place to be, complete with us up-leveling Off-Topic as a main section for your fun conversations that may have absolutely nothing to do with PlayStation or gaming. We encourage all sorts of topics, but just want to make this simpler and make more sense overall. 

That is what I figured.  Thanks for the clarification GlassWalls.  No doom and gloom, only organization.  I love organization.  It is a side effect of being an Accountant.Smiley Happy

Thanks again.

Moble

Message 15 of 27 (129 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
226 posts

Mar 14, 2013

BRIT-KO wrote:

I'll be interested to see where the team are going to go with this because as you have pointed out & as GW has stated also soon all future Threads will be lead by someone from SCEA.

While I can see your point Tribble (and thanks for mentioning my own Thread lol), I can also see how it is one part of the Forum that gets out of hand because it is the first part of the Community so many come to & post their question, however it could arguably be said so do other areas too.

About a week or so ago this particular Forum was a sea of red because so many posts had been moved by Moderators to the correct part of the Community, but I'd like to know where I would post my Thread in future when the changes take place, there must be another place to be able to do so.

As for the stickies, there is certainly one that in my honest opinion needs to be removed & probably should have been some time ago, the rest actually have a lot of useful information in them but maybe some consolidation could take place.

I hate opening up a particular part of the Community only to have to almost scroll immediately down to see the first post, there are a couple of areas like that.

BRIT-KO

By dropping the FAQ heading (on home page) and tab entirely and moving the "Forum Information and Help" section to Support, I bet you this would significantly reduce posts in wrong location and encourage users to post primarily in the correct place, the PlayStation General section.

As you say, if they go ahead and simply prevent users posting in the "Forum Information and Help" section, where can we post on forum specific issues? Taking your post as an example, say you contacted a moderator instead, unless they promptly added a thread to indicate they were aware of the issue, everyone (moderators and users) are going to waste time reporting and responding to the same issue.

Message 16 of 27 (127 Views)
Lombax Warrior
226 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 14, 2013

moblesuit75 wrote:

That is what I figured.  Thanks for the clarification GlassWalls.  No doom and gloom, only organization.  I love organization.  It is a side effect of being an Accountant.Smiley Happy

Thanks again.

Moble

Did you enjoy SCEA's last Christmas party? I heard it was a riot (I'll PM you my address so you can send me an invite (for this years) - I can't wait Smiley Wink).

Message 17 of 27 (123 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Mar 14, 2013

Tribble6 wrote:

moblesuit75 wrote:

Thanks again.

Moble

Did you enjoy SCEA's last Christmas party? I heard it was a riot (I'll PM you my address so you can send me an invite (for this years) - I can't wait Smiley Wink).

Smiley Very Happy SPecial invite only.  No guest allowed.

Its Fan Man, in case you are wondering.  I am noy "Boy".Smiley LOLSmiley Very HappySmiley LOLSmiley Tongue

Moble

Message 18 of 27 (114 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
34123 posts

Mar 14, 2013

GlassWalls wrote:

Hey Everyone,

will this forum be entirely locked to posts, or just topic locked?

meaning regular users cant make topics but there could still be mod created topics that users could post in, like for forum feedback and such?

Message 19 of 27 (112 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
226 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 14, 2013

the_original_se wrote:

will this forum be entirely locked to posts, or just topic locked?

meaning regular users cant make topics but there could still be mod created topics that users could post in, like for forum feedback and such?

I can clarify that for you; here's a screenshot of the original (replaced) annoucement:

Forum Information and Help - PlayStation® Community Forums.png

So, assuming this still holds true, only administrators will be able to create new threads (in this section), but you will be able to post replies. Hopefully though (after sleeping on it), they'll jetison this whole idea.

Message 20 of 27 (103 Views)