Do you mean 
PlayStation Community Manager
2875 posts

Re: No new user threads in FAQ section!

Mar 15, 2013

the_original_se wrote:

GlassWalls wrote:

Hey Everyone,

Just to clarify, as we have looked at this section's open community-made threads, most of them are misplaced and belong elsewhere. Several belong in Support areas (as they contain chatter expressly requesting help, but not relating to forums at all), some is game chatter that belongs either in PlayStation General or one of the specific Game sub-forums, and many very off-topic and random (but fun) stuff that should live in Off-Topic. 

The idea is to make this a go-to place for Frequently Asked Questions (hence the name "FAQ") concerning forum activity and etiquette, and provide a simple area for new users to orient themselves in. The wide variety of other options for conversation now all have a neat place to be, complete with us up-leveling Off-Topic as a main section for your fun conversations that may have absolutely nothing to do with PlayStation or gaming. We encourage all sorts of topics, but just want to make this simpler and make more sense overall. 

will this forum be entirely locked to posts, or just topic locked?

meaning regular users cant make topics but there could still be mod created topics that users could post in, like for forum feedback and such?

Good question. 

The plan is for only SCEA officials to be able to make threads, though some inviting feedback would be left open so anyone and everyone can reply to them.

Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 27 (415 Views)
PlayStation MVP
31921 posts

Mar 15, 2013

GlassWalls wrote:

the_original_se wrote:

GlassWalls wrote:

Hey Everyone,

Just to clarify, as we have looked at this section's open community-made threads, most of them are misplaced and belong elsewhere. Several belong in Support areas (as they contain chatter expressly requesting help, but not relating to forums at all), some is game chatter that belongs either in PlayStation General or one of the specific Game sub-forums, and many very off-topic and random (but fun) stuff that should live in Off-Topic. 

The idea is to make this a go-to place for Frequently Asked Questions (hence the name "FAQ") concerning forum activity and etiquette, and provide a simple area for new users to orient themselves in. The wide variety of other options for conversation now all have a neat place to be, complete with us up-leveling Off-Topic as a main section for your fun conversations that may have absolutely nothing to do with PlayStation or gaming. We encourage all sorts of topics, but just want to make this simpler and make more sense overall. 

will this forum be entirely locked to posts, or just topic locked?

meaning regular users cant make topics but there could still be mod created topics that users could post in, like for forum feedback and such?

Good question. 

The plan is for only SCEA officials to be able to make threads, though some inviting feedback would be left open so anyone and everyone can reply to them.

ok, thats good. im fine with this change then.:smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 27 (405 Views)
PlayStation MVP
7825 posts

Mar 15, 2013

Ok... Well... I'm currently seeing a major problem here... Once this board locks down there's no place for forum related support.

This is seriously bumming me out. Forum Support has been my home for years. I've been a very active user on the Forum Support board since 2008 (couple year break during Jive), and I honestly don't know where I'll go or what I'll do without Forum Support. I've long since lost interest in the vast majority of discussions of all my old favorite game boards, and I'm so far behind on all of the new game series that I get bombarded with spoilers if I try to visit any other same sections.

If we can get a Forum Support board made in the Support section of the forums then I have no problems with this decision.

Honestly I can see the reasoning for the lockdown, and I support that reasoning. I've completely lost count of how many threads I report in a day for being in the wrong board, so this is a much needed clean up. But we seriously need a home for all of the forum related support, otherwise this wont actually fix the problem it'll just move the problem.

Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 27 (397 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
7464 posts

Mar 15, 2013

This doesn't sound like such a bad thing. I get the direction that they are tying to go in.  They way I am undestanding it look like it will hopdfully make the forum more "streamlined" which is a good thing. But as with all change... it will of course be met with resistance.  Sounds like a step in the right direction to me though.

Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 27 (388 Views)
Lombax Warrior
211 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 17, 2013

I was deeply hurt that GlassWalls chose to blank me and it is with great sadness that I have decided to cancel my PS5 pre-order :smileywink:.

Seriously though, even he must recognize that I am offering constructive criticism here, whose only aim is to make the PlayStation forum great for both Sony and forum users.

So, to recap, by removing the new FAQ section and associated tab (moving "Forum Information and Help" section to support), some new "uninformed" users would then likely create new threads in the PlayStation General section and perhaps even under Support. How you then encourage users to post support related threads, in that section, is open to debate. Perhaps a bold white sticky at the top of the General forum, along the lines of "Need help with your PS3, Vita etc or PSN, please click the Support tab (above)".

Although the vast majority of new forum users probably don't read forum etiquette type threads, you could also have a sticky thread at the top for this (would address any possible concern on removing FAQ area). 

Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 27 (352 Views)
Lombax Warrior
211 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 17, 2013

Given the rash of new misplaced threads in this section (even so, good to see the helpful responses they are getting :smileyhappy:), I'm wondering whether this might also have something to do with the section being called "Forum Information and Help", where some new users take this to mean, help on PlayStation in general and not the intended, help on the forum itself.

This is an aside from moving this section, but to make the section's use crystal clear it could be renamed to something like "Information and Help on the Forum" or perhaps "Information and Forum Feedback".

Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 27 (99 Views)
Lombax Warrior
211 posts

Mar 20, 2013

This sounds ideal (revised announcement) :smileyhappy:

"The FAQ section will be streamlined to ensure that new users can find official word more easily. All non-'featured' threads are scheduled to be moved to the a new section just for forum issues and concerns in the Support section."

"Future threads in FAQ will be led by SCEA officials, but all participation is welcome."

Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 27 (74 Views)