Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aug 30 2013
By: Icinq Wastelander 531 posts
Accepted Solution

Question to the Mods

[ Edited ]
12 replies 290 views Edited Aug 30, 2013

Last week a person who sounded like another person posted a thread called "what home guide wood u like to meet?"  Well there was another person on here who used to pretend to be a Home helper and misspelled a lot of words like would "wood", so people on the forums made fun of that. So I said on this post "I wood like to meet  home helper, and my post got removed and I recieved a warning from one of the mods that I will be suspended if I keep repeating this offensive behavior. So this person that made the thread that I got a warning for made a new one this week. Here's the link :

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Home/So-what-he-guide-big-time-it-wood-make-my-dr...

On this thread several users are insulting towards the op and make refferences to the home helper and the fact that she says "wood" a lot. She also claims to have breast cancer, but misspells it so it looks like beast.  So some people also made fun of her for that. I reported all these abusive posts and they were never removed. All that happened was the thread got locked. But why did I get in trouble for being abusive when these other people only got a slap on the wrist if anything? Why am I being treated unfairly on here? Is it because I brought up on acouple threads that I thought there was a problem with the moderation on these forums because they seem to favor some users over others? Well aren't you just proving that i'm right here? Or is it because I got reported by a certain MVP that always speaks up for the mods and happened to be stalking me that day? I know this because he commented on a couple of threads that I did. And he never usually made comments in that section of the forums. And I have a feeling that he will be the first person to comment on here again and defend the mods. But I can't help feel that I'm being targetted because of my complaints and views on here. I'm sorry but I just feel like if I see some sort of abuse or unfair treatment I need to speak up. If I see something that looks like its against the rules I report it. But as it happens I notice a lot that some users on here don't get their posts removed for being offensive while others like me will have their posts removed for the most minor of infractions.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 13 (290 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
311 posts

Re: Question to the Mods

Aug 30, 2013

I notice you post a lot about these kind of issues. I mean I understand you're doing the right thing, but the moderaters are doing their jobs. I'm not saying it's alright for these people to do this, but I trust the moderaters know what they're doing and they are doing their job. By the way why did you post what you posted if you knew it wasn't nice? I thought you were against what they were doing.

Hope this helped!

Keep on gaming!!!
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 13 (276 Views)
Fender Bender
2910 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 30, 2013

I agree with the op. What he/she said wasn't as bad as things I've seen other people post on here. I've seen this person that the op is referring to and a lot of forum members make cracks about her sounding like homehelper. 

bobs fed signature
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 13 (271 Views)
VP of Gaming
28407 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 30, 2013

The OP in that Thread only registered on 6/20/2013 & has so far made a total of only 26 posts, I doubt they will be able to be a part of the MVP program.

All the above being said it does not mean that thay cannot apply for the Ambassador program, anyone can, there is also no need for name calling, that is just childish & immature, but having now said that too, all the OP had to do if they were not happy with some of the comments was to report them to Moderation as suggested in that very same Thread & they would have dealt with it.

The OP's question was also answered but it appears they made more than one Thread about this, hence the Thread merge.

Again as with my response to your previous Threads icinq, there is indeed a pattern to your posts & you seem intent on calling out Moderators or MVP's, you do not need to make Threads about this, report the comments you think need reporting or send  a PM to PSFroumMods or Trawnza & she or her team will deal with it.

I will personally defend anyone on here who is being 'attacked' or unfairly treated.

BRIT-KO

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 13 (256 Views)
Wastelander
531 posts

Aug 30, 2013

Brit you seem to be missing the point here. It's not about the thread itself. I realize that this is probably just someone with an alt account messing around with people. My point is everyone makes fun of this person and don't get in any kind of trouble by having their post removed. I make one little joke and I get my post removed along with a warning, And I don't think what I said was even half as bad as what others have said on their. So it's only natural to speculate that I'm being watched by the staff and mvps here for any little violation I do so they can get me banned. I think you know that too and are trying to avoid speculating on that because you know its true. And again when you really look at what I said is it really that bad compared to the other comments? I only made fun of her spelling and compared it to another user with poor spelling, because both users were more than likely fakes. But the others were making jokes about her having breast cancer. Yet what I said was so bad it had to be removed

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 13 (233 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7824 posts

Aug 30, 2013

Icinq wrote:

So it's only natural to speculate that I'm being watched by the staff and mvps here for any little violation I do so they can get me banned.

Ok, to be perfectly honest I really did not want to reply to this thread. This is not a topic that I want to touch. This is an issue between you and Mods, it really needs to stay that way, and I would highly recommend taking this to PM with the Mod team. However, there is one small point that I can't leave alone and it's from the snippet that I've quoted above.

The MVPs have no power on the forums. I can't stress this enough. People think that we have capabilities that we simply do not. As such, if you are being watched by a MVP (which I highly doubt that you are), it will mean absolutely nothing since there's nothing that the MVP can do anyway. Furthermore, a report submitted by an MVP doesn't mean anything either. All reports are read and considered the same, no matter who submitted them. I've submitted reports that have been ignored by the Mods on multiple occasions. So just because a MVP reported a post it doesn't mean that the Mods will be storming in and shutting things down.

I kindly ask that you not correlate the MVPs and the Mods. The MVPs are not Mods. We have no Mod powers. We have no say in Mod duties. We have no say is Mod responses. All that we can do is talk to the Mods, just the same as every other member of the forums is capable of doing if they so choose.

Thank you, and I wish you luck.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 13 (228 Views)
Wastelander
531 posts

Aug 31, 2013

Well I'm sorry that I made you feel that way DVM. I wasn't meaining all MVP's. Just some do carry a lot of influence with the mods on here and when they report something it gets taken down right away. It was less than 10 minutes after I made my post on that particular thread when it was removed. So I have to believe that I was being closely montiored at the time. Its funny too because I had just posted an appology on the last thread I did to the mods and mvps and had told them I would stop pursueing this issue so much. And the one mvp accepted my appology. But then followed me to another thread that I commented on and he commented on it too. So that's why I know he was following me and waiting for me to do something he could report me for. If he had just left it alone and let me continue on with my own business, well then we wouldn't be right here right now than would we.  

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 13 (222 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
32644 posts

Sep 1, 2013

DVM-501 wrote:

Icinq wrote:

So it's only natural to speculate that I'm being watched by the staff and mvps here for any little violation I do so they can get me banned.

Ok, to be perfectly honest I really did not want to reply to this thread. This is not a topic that I want to touch. This is an issue between you and Mods, it really needs to stay that way, and I would highly recommend taking this to PM with the Mod team. However, there is one small point that I can't leave alone and it's from the snippet that I've quoted above.

The MVPs have no power on the forums. I can't stress this enough. People think that we have capabilities that we simply do not. As such, if you are being watched by a MVP (which I highly doubt that you are), it will mean absolutely nothing since there's nothing that the MVP can do anyway. Furthermore, a report submitted by an MVP doesn't mean anything either. All reports are read and considered the same, no matter who submitted them. I've submitted reports that have been ignored by the Mods on multiple occasions. So just because a MVP reported a post it doesn't mean that the Mods will be storming in and shutting things down.

I kindly ask that you not correlate the MVPs and the Mods. The MVPs are not Mods. We have no Mod powers. We have no say in Mod duties. We have no say is Mod responses. All that we can do is talk to the Mods, just the same as every other member of the forums is capable of doing if they so choose.

Thank you, and I wish you luck.

I would like to add to this.  The function of a moderator is NOT to lock/delete threads and ban people.  The function of a moderator on a forum is identical to that of a moderator at a political forum, say a presidential debate.

A political moderator encourages discussion.  He will draw answers out of the politicians.  He will get them to talk.  He will do what he can to keep the discussion moving along in a healthy manner.  However, if a politician goes over time, the moderator will cut him short so the other politician can talk.  There are rules that must be followed and the moderator sees to it that they are followed.  It's just like that for a forums moderator.

When you see a thread locked by a moderator, you must understand that this was an extreme example.  Locking a thread ends the discussion, but a moderator's job is to encourage discussion.  So something must have gone really wrong for the moderator to lock it.  Also what you can't see is all the deleted posts that the moderator cut out of the thread to try to get it back on track.  Some threads are simply unsalvagable.  So when a thread is locked or deleted, this means that there is no hope for getting the thread back to a state where healthy and meaningful discussion may occur.

Then there is the ban.  When they ban someone, this is saying that not only was the post you just made offensive and it needs to be deleted, but that you as an individual seem unable to follow the rules in the least.  When they ban someone, it kills 100% of the discussion from that user.  So again I must stress that a moderators job is to ENCOURAGE healthy discussion, not end it.  Some users are unsalvagable.  So if a user gets banned, this means that there is no reasonable hope for getting this user to engage in healthy discussion.  And when someone gets banned, what you don't see is the herculean effort the mods spent in trying to reason with the user.  How many PM's did they send telling the user to straighten up and fly right?  How many official warnings did they send?  How many threads did they lock, and warn the user publicly at the end?  You might not see all of that.

As for the MVP's, they usually try as well to talk sense into users before it's too late.  No, they don't have any official power on this forum to lock/delete threads or ban people.  But they DO have the power to tell people to read the NUG, the rules, the code of conduct, the good posting habits, or whatever other reference material is out there.  This isn't some kind of insult.  They are aware enough to sense bsed on your actions that you may be the next one banned.  They are trying to make it so you don't get banned.  If they can impart to you their wisdom, then you will become a valuable contributor to the forum and you won't be banned.  Remember, (and I can't stress this enough) the moderators are not going through the forums to see who they can ban this week for whatever flimsy excuse.  No, they would be much happier if there was never anyone to ban, no threads to lock, no posts to delete, and no users to warn.  But some users simply are not happy unless and until they get themselves banned from the fourms.

The MVP's try to impart their wisdom to the users who are circling the drain.

"Hey, stop posting offensive material."

"Hey, here's a link to the forum rules."

"Hey, you've been flaming and trolling for over a week now.  Stop it already."

They can lead you to the water but they can't make you drink.  They aren't being jerks.  They aren't "mini-mods".  They are trying to help you normaize so you don't get in more trouble.

Once you start showing up on the mods' radar, it's another story.  They CAN make you drink.  You may not want to drink, but it's too late now.  They will use irresistable force.  I have also seen some users plant their feet in the sand and defy the mods to their last breath.  Big mistake.  Just take the hit and learn from your mistake.  Nearly everyone gets a warning eventually.  Don't take that as justification for starting a war with the mods.  You won't win.

Not everyone can learn from mistakes.  Not everyone can gain wisdom from the MVP's trying to spread it.  Some people are simply destined to be banned.  It's in their nature.  It's a fatal character flaw.  I've seen it happen over and over.  You can get mad at me for being the messenger, or you can take an honest look at yourself and ask, "What exactly am I doing wrong, so that the mods have to warn me every other day?" and then correct the errant behavior in yourself so that the mods stop warning you.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 13 (207 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4397 posts

Sep 2, 2013

Let's just say people on the forums have pretended to be the original user... I wouldn't be surprised if that's the real user *wink, wink*.

I don't know if Moderation knows since there is always a new user name, but it is pretty easy to change an IP address. Or just use different devices.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 13 (185 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
7464 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 2, 2013

Ooops double post.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 13 (174 Views)
0 Likes