Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
Mar 25 2013
By: the_original_se PlayStation MVP 32891 posts
Offline
Accepted Solution

This external URL does not contain an image

9 replies 456 views Edited Mar 25, 2013

I keep getting this message when trying to upload a picture to a post via photobucket or imageshack. Anyone else having this issue?

And for the record, the URL is fine. I put it into the address bar and it links to the picture, but for some reason the forum doesnt recognize it. Due to this Im always uploading pictures, but thats not an option when trying to post a larger gif image.


Message 1 of 10 (456 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation Community Manager
Registered: 11/02/2010
Offline
4726 posts
 

Re: This external URL does not contain an image

Mar 25, 2013

I'm about to head out for the night, but send me the URL and I'll tinker around tomorrow and try to see what about that image/host is upsetting the forum.


Tempest_Fire | @strebeck
PlayStation Network Senior Community Manager
Sony Computer Entertainment America
Message 2 of 10 (454 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 12/28/2006
Offline
32891 posts
 

Re: This external URL does not contain an image

[ Edited ]
Mar 25, 2013

the most recent one to cause an issue was this:

 

http://imageshack.us/a/img818/2276/1253886001officeno.gif


Message 3 of 10 (451 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 08/05/2006
Online
3994 posts
 

Re: This external URL does not contain an image

[ Edited ]
Mar 26, 2013

the_original_se wrote:

I keep getting this message when trying to upload a picture to a post via photobucket or imageshack. Anyone else having this issue?

And for the record, the URL is fine. I put it into the address bar and it links to the picture, but for some reason the forum doesnt recognize it. Due to this Im always uploading pictures, but thats not an option when trying to post a larger gif image.


translated it means ethier the url has a missing meta data on the file and/or extension is missing in url or it means file size is to big.

And you need to use html to add image....

Example HTML used to add images over 3MB

 

Edit = Image deleted as it was slowing browser down to much... 

 

PLEX APP for PS3 and PS4... free version coming soon...
NO NEED For DLNA...
Message 4 of 10 (436 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 12/18/2002
Offline
18734 posts
 

Re: This external URL does not contain an image

Mar 26, 2013

the_original_se wrote:

the most recent one to cause an issue was this:



You can always use plain old HTML to use the image on a post

 

<img src="http://imageshack.us/a/img818/2276/1253886001officeno.gif">

 

 

 

 

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 5 of 10 (430 Views)
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 12/28/2006
Offline
32891 posts
 

Re: This external URL does not contain an image

Mar 26, 2013

Xuchilbara wrote:

the_original_se wrote:

the most recent one to cause an issue was this:


You can always use plain old HTML to use the image on a post

 

<img src="http://imageshack.us/a/img818/2276/1253886001officeno.gif">

that seems to work fine, thanks.  :smileyhappy:


Message 6 of 10 (205 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 01/26/2007
Offline
7839 posts
 

Re: This external URL does not contain an image

Mar 26, 2013

For some reason the image insertion in the Rich Text Editor will always upload the image. Even if you're pulling the image from an image host it will copy the image and upload it to your pool of images on the forums. Because of this I always recommend using HTML to post any images that you have hosted externally.

Message 7 of 10 (201 Views)
MVP Support
Registered: 12/18/2002
Offline
18734 posts
 

Re: This external URL does not contain an image

Mar 26, 2013

DVM-501 wrote:

For some reason the image insertion in the Rich Text Editor will always upload the image. Even if you're pulling the image from an image host it will copy the image and upload it to your pool of images on the forums. Because of this I always recommend using HTML to post any images that you have hosted externally.


I agree with you DVM-501

 

The image hosting service is good for people who don't care about having a third party hosting their images. I believe Lithium/SONY are doing this so that all resources found in a post are hosted on the same servers. If the third party image hosting goes out of business or the user deletes the image it wont affect the forums.

 

Back in the PSU days, this image hosting feature would have been as good as gold. We had to go around hunting for image hosting servers or just rent some web hosting. On top of that we had to deal with the hosting account bandwidth limits. Back then signature making & hosting was a VIP service on its own :smileyvery-happy:

 

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 8 of 10 (191 Views)
PlayStation Community Manager
Registered: 11/02/2010
Offline
4726 posts
 

Re: This external URL does not contain an image

Mar 26, 2013

Xuchilbara wrote:

DVM-501 wrote:

For some reason the image insertion in the Rich Text Editor will always upload the image. Even if you're pulling the image from an image host it will copy the image and upload it to your pool of images on the forums. Because of this I always recommend using HTML to post any images that you have hosted externally.


I agree with you DVM-501

 

The image hosting service is good for people who don't care about having a third party hosting their images. I believe Lithium/SONY are doing this so that all resources found in a post are hosted on the same servers. If the third party image hosting goes out of business or the user deletes the image it wont affect the forums.

 

Back in the PSU days, this image hosting feature would have been as good as gold. We had to go around hunting for image hosting servers or just rent some web hosting. On top of that we had to deal with the hosting account bandwidth limits. Back then signature making & hosting was a VIP service on its own :smileyvery-happy:

 


Bingo.  Also glad to see that a resolution was discovered.


Tempest_Fire | @strebeck
PlayStation Network Senior Community Manager
Sony Computer Entertainment America
Message 9 of 10 (187 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 06/19/2013
Offline
3387 posts
 

Re: This external URL does not contain an image

[ Edited ]
May 7, 2014

Having this issue. Halp

RingingPhoneTelephone Calls 

Satire Extraordinaire!RingingPhone
"Stop trolling, you're CLEARLY trolling!" - Everyone In Off-Topic.

~ Proud Upholder Of The PS Forums Rules Of Conduct ~
~ Survivor Of Two Permanent Bans ~ Influential Satire Member ~

~ Forum Moderation Expert ~ Victim Of Many Injustices ~
~ Sworn Enemy To The Off-Topic Board ~ Anti-Troll Cultist ~

...Before you report this post, please check HERE to see if it actually breaches the PS Forums Rules Of Conduct, otherwise you're wasting your time! Thanks!

Message 10 of 10 (75 Views)
Reply
0 Likes