Dark Souls II is out to critical acclaim, and sales are showing many new entrants to the series. The game has a reputation for harshness and punishment that may turn off many, so here are 10 Tips to get you started.
1. Prepare to Learn.
Marketing aside, this game is not about death as much as it is about learning. Make mistakes, suffer the consequences, and learn not to make them again! Approach the game cautiously and aware there's a lot at stake with each of your deaths, and you'll see your caution pay off.
2. Pick the right class.
All classes are viable, but a new player will find more leeway with a Knight, that comes equipped with a shield, a broadsword and a decent amount of health. You will have to melee lots and cannot "cheap range" enemies, but at the same time as long as you keep your shield up, and allow for strategic stamina recovery, you'll do well!
3. Find the Emerald Herald in Majula. Talk to her lots!
As soon as you get to Majula, you'll want to find this NPC and talk to her until she gives you your Estus Flask. This is a portable and replenishable healing item. It can be upgraded too! Find a well in Majula and hit the rock in it, an Estus Flask Shard will appear for you to bring to the Emerald Herald and increase your Estus Flask count to 2.
She will also level your character up!
4. Bonfires are for resting. Use them!
Whenever you find a bonfire, resting at it will repair all of your equipment and replenish your estus flask. It is common for players to bypass the bonfires and end up with useless broken equipment. If this happens, you'll have to find the merchant in the Forest of Fallen Giants (Old Hag Melentia) and buy the Blacksmith's key from her for 1000 souls before you can even have a chance to repair your equipment! - You can also light torches at the bonfire by pressing triangle.
5. Talk to every NPC. Listen to them. Exhaust dialogue.
In-game mechanics are explained by NPCs. They also give you hints, tips and directions. And they will move places and trigger events or gift you items when their location dialogue tree is exhausted. Always talk to all NPCs, always keep going until they start repeating the same line, and do not attack or kill them unless you are absolutely certain you won't be needing them ever again.
6. Don't get greedy
Enemies look sluggish and dumb compared to other games. Do not let this fool you! The game will try to lull you into false confidence and then ambush you to death. Divide and conquer, always wait for enemy attacks to be finished before countering, and NEVER give your back to any enemy!
7. It's dangerous to go alone: Summon help. Be summoned as help
The online experience of Dark Souls II is its most enjoyable aspect. Online play requires that you acquire a White Soapstone, which is available from Mild-Mannered Pate in the Forest of Fallen giants, or that you are in your "human" form. If you are human, you will see bright signs on the ground to summon to aid you. If you are dead, you can use your stone to write a white sign on the ground and help others!
8. Explore everywhere. There are hidden walls! There are mimics and breakable chests!
The game hides important and effective items in every nook and cranny. Seek everything out and always hit every chest you find ONCE to determine if it's a mimic. If you destroy a chest you destroy its loot, so careful! You will also find hidden walls that require you to press X at the right location (without a prompt on screen) to open up. Let the mashing begin! - And do not forget to explore every area thoroughly for chests and items under elevators, staircases, or locked away behind covenants
9. Do not give up. No tactic is cheap. Survival is everything.
You have a sliver of health and there are four enemies around you! Do not give up! Do everythign you can, kite, run, make a moment for a healing stone... you can still win! And if you don't, you will learn about enemy pathing mechanics and how they follow you or don't. You will discover many enemies fall off ledges to their death, and that you can kite and crossbow them from safe distances! What you lose in souls you will gain in experience, and that is the real name of the game!
10. Wiki it.
Of all the tips, this is probably the most important one. Dark Souls is a game built to be explored and detailed as a community. There's hundreds of thousands of players making edits, adding info, participating on the chat and collaborating to help each other and the common body of knowledge for everyone. You beat a boss and have its soul and you could waste it and consume it, or you could visit the wiki and find out the epic weapons you could craft and how. Whatever your question is, there's a high likelihood the answer is right here: http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/
For starters, visit:
Extra! Quick control tips:
- R3 locks onto enemies!
- Press action and left thumbstick down to slide down ladders
- pressing forward and R1 breaks enemy guard!
- Letting go of L1 (block) in-between enemy swings replenishes your stamina faster
- Change your options > settings and map "jump" to O (circle)
Mod Edit: Removed "Games and Platforms" label. Added "Other". Check here for more information! -- XiomaraRose
Fextralife.com Become an Author! Wiki.fextralife.com A wiki network created and managed by gamers for gamers
Skyrim Wiki | Fallout 4 Wiki | Dark Souls 3 Wiki | Bloodborne Wiki | Dragon Age 3 Wiki | Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Wiki | Dark Souls II Wiki | Elder Scrolls Online Wiki | Lords of the Fallen Wiki | FFXV Wiki |
I have not played this yet. But from past experiance with the other two, I would like to offer a tip as well:
Upgrade Wisely - Some items are more rare than others and you should not waste any resources. Plus, you can possibly find a weapon just as stong as the basic weapon you upgrades. So be careful on what to upgrade.
Also use the Environment to your advantage hehe.
Sometimes having a Brazier fire near is helpful so that you can trick enemies walking over it or pushing them into it
also I love kicking enemies off edges and see them fall splat hehehe.
but yeah Divide and Cnquer is very handy. If there is group, it's best to try Fire an arrow at one and take on enemies one by one than a horde
But I'll Always be D. Grayson
N52 Grayson 6
Hey, Fextralife? Man, I used a lot of help/tips from your site, congrats dude, solid work!!
Mind if I add some tips?
- Must pay attention to "Esther Flask" and "Sublime Dust", they are the most important items.
- Add WhiteStone (be summoned) and Esther Flask (life potion) to pockets as soon as you get, Lifegems are useless.
- Everytime you reach a new borfire, use the WhiteStone and play co-op.
- Everytime you reach a new boss, use the WhiteStone and play co-op.
- You can use Whitestones while human, if you died on co-op you return to your world still human.
- You can use action (circle) to climb stairs fast too.
- Mages can buy multiple same scrolls from mage seller. Buy and master lots of Great Heavy Soul Arrows.
- Not all Lockstones are useful, don't waste.
- Save effigy for boss fights and always summon co-ops (there is NPCs signs on offline mode too)
- Press X on illusionary walls.
IMHO ingame (spoilers?):
- @Majula hit the stone at well, grab your 1st Flask, add to your inv and forget lifegems.
- Just after The Pursuer, jump down and grab the Drangleic Armor Set.
- 2nd bonfire @Forest, go down the valley, take the Fire Longsword. Two-hands and R2 = thrust.
- @HeidesRuin is a good spot to farm, each huge soldier give 400xp. Lvl up, run to the left and kill just that last soldier (red?). Even if you die, a lever will show up on that platform. Lower the bridge and get the Ring to lock your hollow HP in 75%.
- Switch between modes: Run like crazy to reach new bonfires. Farm/Lvl Up. Investigate area/Learn boss attacks in co-op.
- @NoMans learn how to run the area. Use the lockstone. Don't miss the lever at top building that calls the ship. You can run from bonfire to the boss without a single hit.
- Farm low-med: 2nd bonfire @Huntsman Corpse, cross the first bridge, turn right, use Whitestone on second bridge. 8K XP each co-op run, almost 15K killing the boss.
- Farm med-high: @UndeadCrypt use whitestone on the stairs to main hall, 16K without the mace boss, 21K with victory.
- After beating the mace boss @UndeadCrypt, go back and level up! When you face Vendrick (King), first run and loot his ring, its useless to fight.
- @CentralEarthen bonfire, go outside to your right with a torch and burn the windmill to draw all poison pools.
- Key of Embbedded goes to 2nd bonfire @DrangleicCastle, up the elevator.
- Ashen Mist goes to 2nd bonfire @Forest AND Spider Boss cave @BrightstoneCove.
"6. Don't get greedy
Enemies look sluggish and dumb compared to other games. Do not let this fool you! The game will try to lull you into false confidence and then ambush you to death. Divide and conquer, always wait for enemy attacks to be finished before countering, and NEVER give your back to any enemy!"
That's the best tip by far!
Also, what are the Pharros stones for???
> Also, what are the Pharros stones for???
To unlock contraptions like this:
There is 2 (or a few more) places where they must used to progress.
There is 70 (or many more) places where you can spend the stone opening empty rooms, or releasing more enemies, or activating new traps, etcs.
I find 8 in chests/loot the entire game, the seller @Forest have 1 for 4K and there is another seller very late ingame (Drangelic Castle?) with few more instock for 13K.
The Fex is the best! Great tips - hope I can make some progress in the game - just got it a couple of days ago.
All hail the cookie!
** Engage brain before putting mouth in gear **
MVP Terms and Conditions ________________(=^‥^=)________________ Forum Rules of Conduct
========== SONY Customer Service 800-345-7669 or Link to Live Chat ==========