Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Re: $20 dollar giveaway tomorrow

Jul 14, 2014

fostermacation wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:
Are you looking for a mathematical or philosophical response?

Part of the game. Think outside of the box but so far ALL are wrong.

Eh, there's actually a lot to this... you might as well be asking us what the serieal number on your microwave is.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 11 of 27 (144 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4080 posts

Jul 14, 2014

I thought the Mix up match code was outside the box. Unless your bad math can make a good password, the only other thing I can think of is Missingno. Missing Number.

To live a life of power, you must have faith that what you believe is right, even if others tell you you're wrong. The first thing you must do to live a life of power is to find courage. You must be ready to reach beyond the boundaries of Time itself. And to do that, all you need is the will to take that first step. - Sonic CD Japanese front cover
Message 12 of 27 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
12642 posts

Jul 14, 2014

For a $10  card i would make it simple guess the number but since this 1 or 2 $20 dollar cards and is not some holiday I make you work for it.

Message 13 of 27 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2921 posts

Jul 14, 2014

the second one is a slogan. the first one is just an idiotic stupidness. there is no real answer to this. you might have a non real answer. for example. 3=2. but thats nonsense.

Message 14 of 27 (138 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2921 posts

Jul 14, 2014

wait. the first one. man+woman= man+woman+child. is that it?

Message 15 of 27 (135 Views)
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Jul 14, 2014

Here's my guesses.

1: A joke that nerds usually make about the rounding of numbers. If you do 2.3 rounded (2) + 2.4 rounded (2), you get 4.7 which rounds to 5. 

And because humans are imperfect, we are never able to make exact precision on anything. This means, that anything we do, we are doing some kind of rounding/estimation at some point. So, this means that 2 + 2 = 5 but only for very large values of 2.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2: The phrase "two plus two equals five" ("2 + 2 = 5") is a slogan used in many different forms of media, but more specifically in George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four as an example of an obviously false dogma one may be required to believe, similar to other obviously false slogans by the Party in the novel. It is contrasted with the phrase "two plus two makes four", the obvious — but politically inexpedient — truth.

Orwell's protagonist, Winston Smith, uses the phrase to wonder if the State might declare "two plus two equals five" as a fact; he ponders whether, if everybody believes it, does that make it true? The Inner Party interrogator of thought-criminals, O'Brien, says of the mathematically false statement that control over physical reality is unimportant; so long as one controls their own perceptions to what the Party wills, then any corporeal act is possible, in accordance with the principles of doublethink ("Sometimes they are five. Sometimes they are three. Sometimes they are all of them at once").

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 16 of 27 (134 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2921 posts

Jul 14, 2014

way to copy the internet. but i have to admit i looked up the second one.

Message 17 of 27 (122 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
181 posts

Jul 14, 2014

Lets try Family math where 1 man and 1 woman have a child and that makes 3.

Now the child grows up and finds a mate and they have a child ( 2 original parents + the 2 New Parents = a 5 family unit with the child / grandchild.

Message 18 of 27 (121 Views)
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Jul 14, 2014

B3GV5M63 wrote:

way to copy the internet. but i have to admit i looked up the second one.

Research.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 19 of 27 (120 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
12642 posts

Jul 14, 2014

Setzaroth wrote:

Here's my guesses.

1: A joke that nerds usually make about the rounding of numbers. If you do 2.3 rounded (2) + 2.4 rounded (2), you get 4.7 which rounds to 5. 

And because humans are imperfect, we are never able to make exact precision on anything. This means, that anything we do, we are doing some kind of rounding/estimation at some point. So, this means that 2 + 2 = 5 but only for very large values of 2.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2: The phrase "two plus two equals five" ("2 + 2 = 5") is a slogan used in many different forms of media, but more specifically in George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four as an example of an obviously false dogma one may be required to believe, similar to other obviously false slogans by the Party in the novel. It is contrasted with the phrase "two plus two makes four", the obvious — but politically inexpedient — truth.

Orwell's protagonist, Winston Smith, uses the phrase to wonder if the State might declare "two plus two equals five" as a fact; he ponders whether, if everybody believes it, does that make it true? The Inner Party interrogator of thought-criminals, O'Brien, says of the mathematically false statement that control over physical reality is unimportant; so long as one controls their own perceptions to what the Party wills, then any corporeal act is possible, in accordance with the principles of doublethink ("Sometimes they are five. Sometimes they are three. Sometimes they are all of them at once").

Nope think outside the box.

Message 20 of 27 (117 Views)
0 Likes