Oct 22 2013
By: Spores_ Lombax Warrior 199 posts

2nd thoughts on KillZone: SF after PS Blog Q & A

[ Edited ]
19 replies 319 views Edited Oct 22, 2013

Was really looking forward to KILLZONE SF but after the PS BLOG Q & A not so much.

First off the majority of the Q & A was all about multilayer.

Servers, game modes, and then they were even talking about gun attachments. Seems that they are just following in the foot steps of CALL OF DUTY now.

Focused more on multilayer than campaign. For me its always been about single player campaign with Killzone but now its totally obvious they are leaning more towards multilayer. When their bread & butter has been with their single player experience.

So now looking at the bigger picture what does KILLZONE SF really have to offer other than being another everyday FPS????

It has some gadgets going for them like always and.........hmmmm not much else.

Its next gen gaming, COME ON! Can't bring a water down version of the game into it with the same ol same ol. Add some new elements into it! Add more vehicles or various other things you can do in the game besides just walking around shooting.

Make it more dynamic!

Take for instance KILLZONE: MERCENARY for the VITA. A couple missions in you had to free fall glide into the mission and all you were able to do was look at the cinematic scene for it. Perfect opportunity to incorporate that with gameplay. Maybe make things shooting at you and you had to quickly tap a button or direction to dodge?? Just something new!! Anything! Make it more dynamic than just walking and shooting. They should take that approach with ShadowFall and add new elements and things of that sort to make the game more interesting.

So far it just doesn't seem like it has that next gen WOW FACTOR for me. :/

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 20 (319 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
522 posts

Re: 2nd thoughts on KillZone: SF after PS Blog Q & A

Oct 22, 2013

It only makes sense for any shooter to focus more on multiplayer, that's how they keep people playing after their 10 hour campaign. A lot of people had the same attitude, including me, when they announced Mass Effect 3 multiplayer. It was always a single player game and with the addition of multiplayer, I was expecting a half assed single player because of it (turns out the ending was only half assed). It turns out the multiplayer was an excellent add on and I looked like a fool at the end of the day becuse everyone seemed to enjoy it. What it has going for them in terms of multiplayer is the fact that it plays much differently than CoD and Battlefield, which is why so many people like it to begin with. But judging from some of what you're saying it seems like you have a bigger beef with FPS in general not just Killzone.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 20 (304 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
199 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 22, 2013

Nah I like FPS games, Im getting GHOSTS after all.

I guess I just wanted them to focus more on the single player side rather than the multiplayer.

Spark my interest again in the KILLZONE franchise.

But of course I'll probably buy it anyways and play the c**p out of it lol.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 20 (295 Views)
Sackboy
522 posts

Oct 22, 2013

Spores_ wrote:

Nah I like FPS games, Im getting GHOSTS after all.

I guess I just wanted them to focus more on the single player side rather than the multiplayer.

Spark my interest again in the KILLZONE franchise.

But of course I'll probably buy it anyways and play the c**p out of it lol.

Yeah I mean I get what you're saying, but it's good that they're focusing on multiplayer seeing as how it'll probably be the most played aspect, like CoD. The single player is said to be about 10 hours long, assuming you're a casual gamer, but that's still hours longer than any CoD campaign. It's funny that you say this because I always wished the CoD single player was longer and more structured. I find Killzone single player campaigns to be much longer than any CoD campaign.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 20 (276 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1050 posts

Oct 22, 2013

First off it's a FPS there is inherently little difference in the genre.

Where you create difference and separation from all others is story and the environments

pertaining to certain missions or goals. As well as the weaponry selection and enhancements.

When you talk about COD or BF yes there is the SPC which will last the average player a couple of hours to complete.

I see them as preparation for multi player.

Guerilla has stated there is more than >10 hours< of single player mode.

That in itself is a big difference form COD.

When it comes to COD I look at it as a MP experience that has a short single player campaign.

Looking at KZSF I see a SPC that also will have MP.

That's the difference for me.

No second thoughts for me. I want it and have it reserved for day 1.

Courage is saddling up, even though your scared to death.

Atari 2600, ColecoVision, NES, Genesis, Saturn, Sega CD, PS1, PS2, PS3 (2), DS, PSP, 360, PS4, VITA
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 20 (266 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
348 posts

Oct 22, 2013

I have Killzone Shadow Fall, Call Of Duty Ghosts and Battlefield 4 all pre-ordered and paid off. The only thing I am having trouble figuring out is which one I stick in the drive first. I myself love mutiplayer and I also enjoy single player. I think all three titles will have awesome single player campaigns. Multi-Player is where it is at with me. I play single player when updates are being done or the network goes down.  :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 20 (257 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3790 posts

Oct 22, 2013

how exaclty is a 10 hour+ campaign mode "watered down"? That's longer than most FPS games out there. While you might not like it --- MP is what this coming generation is all about. Get used to it.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 20 (242 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
5446 posts

Oct 22, 2013

Matsudaira wrote:

how exaclty is a 10 hour+ campaign mode "watered down"? That's longer than most FPS games out there. While you might not like it --- MP is what this coming generation is all about. Get used to it.

I think that the OP is confusing what the Q&A was focused on with the game itself.

Grindhead_Jim

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 20 (236 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8353 posts

Oct 22, 2013
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 20 (213 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
394 posts

Oct 22, 2013

My dissapointments with the new killzone:

-No split screen (1st game had, 2nd didnt, 3rd game had, 4th doesnt)

-No coop campaign (1st game had, 2nd didnt, 3rd game had, 4th doesnt)

-No 3D (3rd game had, and was one of best examples of why 3D in first person shooters is a good idea)

-No sharpshooter support? (We know ps4 supports Move, KZ3 gave us sharpshooter and it was good, why leave behind?!?!?)

-No Jetpacks, mechs, or vehicles in multiplayer. (Here's hoping at least the single player has them, would not be killzone without vehicle and mounted turrret gameplay)

-Cant maintain 60FPS (I thought this console was extremely powerful?  You cant do split screen because you would have to sacrifice visual quality, but even without it you need to run a 30FPS?  So with split screen it would be 720p@30FPS? or less?

Take killzone 3 game engine, uprez to 1080p, up framerate to 60FPS, Then use that engine to give us killzone SF.

If ps4 cant run that game why are we starting a new gen?  And the other console is half as powerful?!?!?!  I have a bad feeling about this gen.  At least last gen we had the cell, which meant as devs learned it games would improve over time all the way till end of life as evidenced by games like The Last of Us, Beyond, etc.  This new gen using well known gear will mean we will see the hardware being maxed out much, much, much sooner.  The launch games we be much more representative of what our games will look like towards the end of the ps4 life cycle, there is no secret power to unlock beyond the unified chip.  I give it a yr or 2 tops.

I am actually finding it hard to get excited about next gen anymore.  This was the only game I really wanted for launch and most of the reasons why are not part of it.  

-Killzone 3 was the best 3D game on PS3, 100 better quality then Blops 3d, and they drop it for the sequel?  Pure stupidity.

-The sharpshooter came with Killzone 3 and works flawlessly (without cheater lock)  With 3D made this game one of the most immersive games to grace the PS3 ever. (Not perfect game, but technically impressive for sure)

-I loved the jetpack in KZ3, amazing experience in 3D with sharpshooter.

-Killzone 2 had the perfect weight to it, many of you probably hated it cause it wasnt like COD but thats exactly why i loved it.  It was different and it makes sense if a guy is wearing 200lbs of armor and gear.  Killzone 2 after the patch was lighter and less fun, KZ3 was even lighter and felt worse, now they say this new killzone is ultra light weight and fast just like the cancer of the shooter genre.

The more I hear the more I find myself able to wait, at this point seeings how I cant get a ps4 killzone bundle anyway I am going to wait until I can, and hopefully by then the game will be out awhile and I can get some hands on time pre-purchase.

So now we are left with the owl and en energy shield.  Energy shields been done, owl I dont know about just yet, I want to see more of what it can do.  If you can use it like the robot in MGS4 to stun enemies and control remotely to scout around quietly I could get down with that.

I feel this gen I bought to many games on hype alone, this left me dissapointed a lot of the time, especially multiplatform games.

Next gen i am going to buy only very select titles I know I will enjoy, so far I am not sure killzone SF fits the bill, although its better then all the other choices available so far (Hate COD, BF4 beta blew huge chunks and will probably be 6months to a yr getting patched.)

Screw it.

SC-GRAY_FOX wrote:
"Of course you can. You can do this with the PS3 and the PS4 would not be taking steps back."

:smileysad: :smileyhappy:

Vertigomega wrote:
Being angry that your gaming console focuses on gaming is kind of like being mad that your microwave focuses too much on warming up your food.
But the new model removed the light bulb and timer from the microwave, so now you never know when the foods done, so ends up burnt a lot or undercooked.
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 20 (208 Views)
0 Likes