MVP Support
10910 posts

Re: 3D

Jul 19, 2013

Of the 3D-capable games I have, Uncharted 3, Assassin's Creed: Revelations, Assassin's Creed III, Motorstorm: Apocolypse, WipEOut HD and Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath are spectacular in 3D.  The Jak and Daxter, Ico/Shadow of the Colossus and God of War Origins Collections are very well done in 3D, as are most of the PSN titles I have tried.

The Sly Cooper Collection leaves a bit to be desired in 3D (it drops to 480p resolution when you turn on 3D), and are the only games I will not play in 3D under any circumstances.  Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time is decent in 3D, however.

As for the headaches...  I would start getting one after a couple of hours playing on the active shutter PS3 3D Display I used for about a year.  The passive Vizio 42-inch 3DTV I recently switched to has had no such effect.  I was able to play a couple of hours of Uncharted 3 in 3D, then watched the entirity of Avatar (2 hours, 41 minutes) in 3D with my wife (who was actually impressed by the quality of the 3D).

I also used to think that 3D was just a gimmick (and perhaps it was when the only at-home 3D option was the anaglyph red/cyan glasses), but now I'm finding I watch/play in 3D whenever I can.

I paid less than $500 for my 42-inch Vizio, btw.  So yeah, at least as far as passive sets go, they are pretty affordable.  You can get 10 pairs of passive 3D glasses for like $20, too.  Alternatively, just keep the 3D glasses you get at the theater when you see something in 3D.  RealD 3D glasses work with Vizios, Toshibas and LGs.  Possibly other makers' TVs, as well.

Message 21 of 24 (98 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10910 posts

Jul 19, 2013

Amnalehu wrote:

The PS4 will support 3D. Everyone says 3D is a gimmick but the movie industry does not seem to think so. Just take a look at all of the new action, animated and sci-fi movies that are all coming out in 3D. I have a 58 in Samsung plasma set and we play 3D games and watch movies in 3D at least once per week. 3D TV do not give you much of the pop out effect you see in the movies but they do give you the illusion that you tv extends inward.. like looking out out of a window. The best titles I have are Madagascar 3, Avatar, and Disney's A Christmas Carol which is truly Amazing.

It's interesting that you say this.  Perhaps it's just the way you have your TV's picture set or how far back you are able to sit, but more than once, while watching Avatar, there were some random things (insects, debris, etc) that were part of the movie that appeared to be floating inches from my face.

Playing Uncharted 3, the laser sights and bullets from enemies seemed to pop WAY off the screen and into my living room.

On the 24-inch Active Shutter set, yeah, almost nothing appeared to pop off the screen, but with the 42-inch (and being able to sit a little further back), the 3D effect is dramatically better.

Message 22 of 24 (97 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3639 posts

Jul 19, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:

Amnalehu wrote:

The PS4 will support 3D. Everyone says 3D is a gimmick but the movie industry does not seem to think so. Just take a look at all of the new action, animated and sci-fi movies that are all coming out in 3D. I have a 58 in Samsung plasma set and we play 3D games and watch movies in 3D at least once per week. 3D TV do not give you much of the pop out effect you see in the movies but they do give you the illusion that you tv extends inward.. like looking out out of a window. The best titles I have are Madagascar 3, Avatar, and Disney's A Christmas Carol which is truly Amazing.

It's interesting that you say this.  Perhaps it's just the way you have your TV's picture set or how far back you are able to sit, but more than once, while watching Avatar, there were some random things (insects, debris, etc) that were part of the movie that appeared to be floating inches from my face.

Playing Uncharted 3, the laser sights and bullets from enemies seemed to pop WAY off the screen and into my living room.

On the 24-inch Active Shutter set, yeah, almost nothing appeared to pop off the screen, but with the 42-inch (and being able to sit a little further back), the 3D effect is dramatically better.

Avatar does have that pop out effectand the snow in Christmas Carol has to be seen. Uncharted 3 is one of the best games to play in 3D. the Infra red beams shoot from the screen!

Message 23 of 24 (84 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
147 posts

Jul 20, 2013

I too hope they make more games in 3D. The Batman games were amazing in 3D. Uncharted 3 was awesome. Oh anyone with a 3D tv, if you want a really cool movie to watch in 3D, try Imax Under the Sea. Sea animals swiming in your living room. 

Message 24 of 24 (66 Views)
0 Likes