Jul 09 2013
By: bakon2 First Son 12 posts
Accepted Solution

48GB free.....

14 replies 298 views Edited Jul 9, 2013

system info says I have 48 gb free....but when i hit the PS Store to download a game that is 40gb it says there isn't enough room..what about the other freakin 8gb???  I have deleted all the stuff that I dare too....

Message 1 of 15 (298 Views)
First Son
6 posts

Re: 48GB free.....

Jul 9, 2013

When you download a game, you can always delete it and re-download it at a later date.  I believe Sony allows at least 8 downloads of a purchased title.  So, don't worry about erasing a few extra titles to play a game because you can always replace the other titles.

Message 2 of 15 (293 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1124 posts

Jul 9, 2013

bakon2 wrote:

system info says I have 48 gb free....but when i hit the PS Store to download a game that is 40gb it says there isn't enough room..what about the other freakin 8gb???  I have deleted all the stuff that I dare too....

Same thing happened to me.

Message 3 of 15 (288 Views)
Fender Bender
3578 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 9, 2013

Pretty sure you need 80GB total. 40GB for downloading and 40GB for installing.

Message 4 of 15 (284 Views)
Wastelander
883 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 9, 2013

@ userusb ... i dont think so

Message 5 of 15 (264 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
9603 posts

Jul 9, 2013

userusb wrote:

That is correct. When you download a game you need double the space. If a game is 40GB, then you need 80GB of empty space in your HDD to download it. After you install the game you get the extra 40GB of empty space back.

tumblr_m9robuIdvt1qeqs01.gif

Here's symbols to copy & paste into your friends list comment. ℡ № ª
⇒⇔ ¹ ² ³ ® ™ ‰ © ½ ¼ ¾ ←↑→↓ψ † ‡ ※♪♭♯★ ☆▲▼△▽◆ ◇ ○ ◎ ● ■ □ 回 〓 √∞♂♀ 웃 유
Ω ①②③④⑤⑥⑦⑧⑨⑩⑪⑫⑬⑭⑮⑯⑰⑱⑲⑳ ㎎ ㎏ ㎜ ㎝ ㎞ ㎡ ㏄ ≒ Æ æ η α β ε α₩£ ≡ » « ¶ † εïз ∵
∴ #’〈 〉《 》「」『 』【 】〔 〕ミ 彡 ッ シ!#@ $ %
&()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz[\
]^_`{|}~¢£ㄻ ㄼ ㄽ ㄾ ㄿ ㅁ ㅂ ㅄ ㅅ ㅆ ㅇ ㅈ ㅊ ㅋ ㅌ ㅍ ㅎㄱ 을 ㄺ卍∃⊥ ∀ Ξ Σ Π 文 ≒≠ ≡≦
≧ⅠⅡⅢ Ⅳ Ⅴ Ⅵ Ⅶ Ⅷ Ⅸ Ⅹ ⅰ ⅱ ⅲ ⅳ ⅴ ⅵ ⅶ ⅷ ⅸ ⅹ¬ ̄ ±∂∩∀∇∠∧∨∩∪∫∬⊂⊃⊥⊿⌒─│┌┐└┘├┤┬┴┼─
━│┃┌┏ ┐┓└┗ ┘┛├┝┠┣ ┤┥┨┫┬ ┯ ┰ ┳ ┴ ┷ ┸ ┻ ┼ ┿ ╂ ╋
Message 6 of 15 (257 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1124 posts

Jul 9, 2013

Users wrote:

That is what the Sony tech support told me. Same rule applies for backing up the system. 

Message 7 of 15 (251 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8695 posts

Jul 9, 2013

Killa4Hire wrote:

@ userusb ... i dont think so

yes. userusb is correct.  you need double the size of a game to download it.  in this case, 80g will need to be free.

~Fighting the Good Fight~
Message 8 of 15 (202 Views)
First Son
12 posts

Jul 9, 2013

ok, well that cannot be correct.  I have an 80gig hd.  I deleted a few things, but when you look at the system info it says xx/74g.  Is some space reserved?  that would mean that it would be impossible for me to d/l and install this game.  I got up to around 55g free last night and was able to d/l and install it.

thanks for the answers.  I think that if it were the case that you need double the amount to d/l and install a game...well.........

Message 9 of 15 (193 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Jul 9, 2013

bakon2 wrote:

ok, well that cannot be correct.  I have an 80gig hd.  I deleted a few things, but when you look at the system info it says xx/74g.  Is some space reserved?  that would mean that it would be impossible for me to d/l and install this game.  I got up to around 55g free last night and was able to d/l and install it.

thanks for the answers.  I think that if it were the case that you need double the amount to d/l and install a game...well.........

Well, the first thing is that when a company states that you have an 80 GB HDD, they are counting a GB as being equal to 1,000 MB, a MB as being equal to 1,000 kilobytes, and a kilobyte being equal to 1,000 bytes.  That is technically incorrect as a kilobyte is equal to 1,024 bytes.  (As computers use a binary system for counting, they count kilo/mega/giga/etc. in terms of 2^10th power).  Therefore, an 80 GB (as marketed) hard drive contains 80,000,000,000 bytes in it.  As computers see it, 80 GB should be 85,899,345,920 bytes.  Since you have what is marketed as an 80GB HDD (which is legally acceptable to do since by the base-10 counting system it contains 80 billion bytes), the PS3 and any computer system out there sees it as 74.5 GB.  This is computer hardware basics 101.  Smiley Happy

Now with regards to the free space needed for an installation, you need to remember that the file you download is an installation file.  It needs to be unpacked in order to be reassembled into the game.  You need the extra space in order to unpack that file.  The general rule of thumb is that you need twice as much space in order to do this.  (For some games you need more than that, for some you need less). 

The greatest analogy for this is that your hard drive is like a room, and the items on your hard drive is like stuff you have on the floor of the room.  Let's say you went and ordered an entertainment system online (this is analagous to buying a digital game on the PSN).  This entertainment system would be delivered to you in a package from the retailer.  This package would be the equivalent of the installation file of the game you downloaded.  The entertainment center would be inside that package, just like the game is inside the installation file.  In order to build that entertainment center, you need enough free space on the floor of your room in order to build it.  If the package for the entertainment center is 2 feet by 4 feet, and the free space in your room is only 1 foot by 2 feet, how are you going to build that entertainment center? 

If you free up space in your room, you can build the entertainment center and then discard the packaging once it's built.  Now, the entertainment center is only taking up the space of the item itself, but you needed the extra room in order to unpack it and build it.  The same exact thing happens when you download a game.  You need the space to "unpack" the game and assemble it.  Once you've assembled it, the "packaging" (a.k.a. the installation file) is deleted freeing up that space again.  Still, you needed to have enough space to unpack it and assemble it.

There's nothing "wrong" about that.  It's the way things are and is only a problem when people don't take the time to understand it.  Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 15 (174 Views)