Highlighted
Dec 16 2012
By: Salesmunn Uncharted Territory 1700 posts

A Few Tips to Consider before your Vita is Stolen...

[ Edited ]
11 replies 419 views Edited Dec 16, 2012

Last week my Vita and most of my games were heisted in an airport while going through security.  While I'm still painstakingly working through Airport police and TSA to hopefully get some answers, I felt the need to share some tips for everyone here to help prepare themselves for this possibility.

1.  Set Your Screen Lock:  Be sure to set the screen lock on your Vita and use a unique pin.  I also recommend you do the same on any phone you carry and would think that this day and age, where these devices carry everything about you, this is a given.  If you're an adult with kids, this is even more important for your system and theirs.  Here is how you do it.

2.  Custom Start Screen with contact info:  Imagine you were getting out of a car and somehow the Vita fell out into a parking lot and someone found it later, could that person even find you if they wanted to?  While I always felt that custom wallpaper is purely for vanity, the wallpaper is so much more important if used correctly.  You should set a custom Start Screen image (whatever you want) but that start screen should have a message on it stating to the effect of, "If Found, please call [insert your number here]"  You can even put in, "Reward if returned".  You can also put down, "Please Return, No questions asked.  Otherwise, this device will be located by law enforcement..."  because if your system is stolen and you report it to police and if you can get a subpeona from law enforcment, Sony Support can help the Police find the system.  See below for an example of what I mean...be sure to put your message in the bottom lower-half of the start image because your popup messages might block the info if you put it in the upper-right.

Vita_Startscreen_safe.jpg

3.  Log your Serial Number:  The serial number of your device is easily found on the side of your Vita box and it's also found on a sticker that can easily fall off on the bottom of your Vita.  Log that number and register it with Sony as soon as possible.  If you're against registering for some reason, keep that number safe at the very least to assist with possible recovery.

4.  A Case for Digital:  While anyone can go back and forth on the cost of digital vs. cost of retail, permanently losing a few games due to theft can make you instantly realize that digital is the better overall option, even with the cost of games and memory.  The digital games you own are locked to your PSN account and you can simply download them again on another Vita sometime in the future.  If you do buy carts [sometimes super cheap!], only carry one or two with you at any given time, just in-case.  (some could argue that losing a large/expensive memory card is equally as painful as losing a few games, I would agree)

5.  PS+ and Auto-Cloud Saves:  While this should be self-explanatory, aside of the whole FREE GAMES thing, PS+ comes with overnight gamesave uploads and trophy sync.  This is a great feature that can't be overlooked in the event your Vita is damaged or stolen.

While none of these guarantee that you'll recover your Vita, the odds will be higher. 

If anyone here has any other ideas on how to prep for a possible Vita theft, be sure to comment in.  If I end up getting my Vita back or finding out where it ended up (both highly unlikely), I'll post back on here.

Message 1 of 12 (419 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Re: A Few Tips to Consider before your Vita is Stolen...

Dec 16, 2012
How exactly did it get stolen? Just curious.
Message 2 of 12 (376 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
32 posts

Dec 16, 2012

Great tips I will definitely try to implement some. I didn't even realize you could customize your start screen.

♪ I gave up! ♪
Message 3 of 12 (352 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1700 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 16, 2012

CBAIII wrote:
How exactly did it get stolen? Just curious.

Atlanta International Airport.  My bags went through security and when I got back to my gate the Vita was gone.  Won't go into too much detail beyond that.

I won't go into detail about the circus I went through with TSA and Security/Police at the airport for the hours after that but let's just say it was an unpleasant evening and I left town without my Vita.  My guess is it fell out somehow on the belt or while the bags were being searched or moved around, possibly on the floor or belt and someone simply picked it up and took off.

Message 4 of 12 (337 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8193 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 16, 2012

Tips from Me:

1. You can also get an Embossing Label Maker. Punch out your last name and your telephone number then stick it just below the rear trackpad. That way people can see contact information when the Vita's battery is drained or inoperable.

I personally use this label maker: (Photo not mine, found in merrimentdesign.com)

labelmaker

2. Have a small bag that's always with you! I carry a small utility bag which holds my wallet, Vita, phone and oher misc. items which I never let out of my sight.

Message 5 of 12 (335 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1700 posts

Dec 16, 2012

Doppelgangergang wrote:

You can also get an Embossing Label Maker. Punch out your last name and your telephone number then stick it just below the rear trackpad. That way people can see contact information when the Vita's battery is drained or inoperable.

I personally use this label maker: (Photo not mine, found in merrimentdesign.com)

labelmaker

Yes, any label maker like that would also work.  Or putting a little card in your case with contact info.

Message 6 of 12 (325 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
576 posts

Dec 16, 2012

Wrote down my Serial number and registered the bar code on Platstation.com. Thanks for the tips

Message 7 of 12 (316 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1700 posts

Dec 17, 2012
Maybe this needs a sticky?
Message 8 of 12 (276 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
113 posts

Dec 17, 2012
I guess this need a sticky. Pretty good advice s here
Message 9 of 12 (264 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
32 posts

Dec 17, 2012

Definitely is sticky material! Just needs to be recognized.

♪ I gave up! ♪
Message 10 of 12 (227 Views)
0 Likes