Apr 26 2013
By: herding_cats First Son 1 posts

A Novel Suggestion: Adult Sized Dual-Shock Controllers

5 replies 102 views Edited Apr 26, 2013

I would really like to see Sony offer a Dual-Shock Controller that is appropriately sized & designed for adult sized hands.  The current controller seems to be designed & sized for someone with small hands, like maybe an eleven year old for example.

Now, I don't know about anyone else here, but with my adult sized hands & fingers, I'm finding the current controller size & close button proximity a bit troublesome to use sometimes.  Sure it would be great if I had the hands of an eleven year old and I'm sure that if I did, using the current, child sized controller would be a breeze. Alas, I'm not 11, nor do I have those small 11 year old sized hands.

What I do have is something far more attractive to corporations like Sony, I have money.  I have money & the power of choice regarding where I spend my dollars. Unlike many 11 year olds, who do not have a lot of disposable income or lack substantial buying power outside of what they can convince their parents to expend on their behalf, I do. 

I have the disposable income & the power of choice when it comes to how & where my money is spent when it comes to things like gaming accessories, etc. I'm sure that I'm not alone when I say that my money spends just as easily at Microsoft or others as it does with Sony. I would not hesitate to spend my money with Sony, should they choose to offer an adult sized Dual-Shock Controller.

In fact, there appears to be any number of third-party vendors who have already identified the need for such products and are making an effort to fill that niche with varying degrees of success and product reliability. Yet, Sony seems oblivious to this highly lucrative potential market.

So, how about it Sony, perhaps it's time to step up and offer a Dual-Shock Controller designed for those of us with larger, adult sized hands. Think of it as an untapped market, aimed at those who have the money to spend. With the right, well designed, easy to use product, this could very well open up a new revenue stream for the aftermarket Playstation product line.

Okay I'll get off my soap box now.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 6 (102 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
67 posts

Re: A Novel Suggestion: Adult Sized Dual-Shock Controllers

Apr 26, 2013

i dont know about you but the controllers always fit in my hands perfectly and i have big hands i dont want Xbox sized controllers ever. there is nothing wrong with the size of the ps3 controller

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 6 (86 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7592 posts

Apr 26, 2013

I guess it mostly depends on how you hold the controller in your hands.

I have fairly large hands and I don't generally have any problems with the DS3 as it is.  The only time I could maybe use a larger controller is the rare time I need to use L1 and L2 or R1 and R2 simultaneously (index and middle fingers on the buttons), and even then, it's not all that uncomfortable.

From what I've seen of the DS4, it looks like the 'handles' are going to be a little longer, which may make things better, but that won't help with issues on the PS3 unless the DS4 turns out to be backward compatible with the PS3 (unlikely).

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 6 (84 Views)
PlayStation MVP
23804 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 26, 2013

Here's the problem; how many would they actually sell? You call it an "untapped market". Well, how big is this so-called market? You'd buy one, but how many more would they sell, and would that be worth the expense of designing and manufacturing them?

This suggestion isn't "novel". It's come up quite a number of times, and many times it's making it bigger for the sake of making it bigger. The controller is not "child size" unless you're Andre the Giant. Despite the popular belief, making something bigger does not make it "better", nor does it "improve" something.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 6 (73 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Apr 26, 2013

I don't have big hands but I would prefer a little bigger controller. The dualshock 4 looks morecomfortable.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 6 (69 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
311 posts

Apr 26, 2013
Sounds more like a demand/threat than a suggestion. Because you have a "disposable income", "power of choice" and "my money spends just as easily at Microsoft or others", doesn't mean anything to Sony. I agree it could increase in size (seems like my fingers are all cramped together), but I'm not going to make empty threats because I have long fingers (or bigger hands) and have to hold the controller a little differently.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 6 (60 Views)