Aug 03 2013
By: ccrogers15 PlayStation MVP 2599 posts
Accepted Solution

A cool feature sony should introduce

[ Edited ]
7 replies 206 views Edited Aug 3, 2013

A cool feature that i have absolutely longed to have available for PS3 would be this: Allow us to play digital PSP games.

How? Map the buttons to their PS3 controller counterpart, emulate the games similarly to how PS2 classics are emulated, and profit. 

Id love this, because of got some psp games id enjoy to play on a large screen (on my PS3), such as Ape Escape on the loose, GTA China Town Wars, and the sims 2. 

Maybe sony could make this a feature with PS4 too?
But eitherway, anyone else think this would be a neat feature?

Message 1 of 8 (206 Views)
Monster Hunter
40 posts

Re: A cool feature Sony should introduce

Aug 3, 2013

I wouldn't mind playing grand turismo psp on the ps3. I'd like to be able to play it with a ps3 controller.

Message 2 of 8 (199 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2922 posts

Re: A cool feature sony should introduce

Aug 3, 2013

No. I mean, unless they somehow polish it a bit to make it look better. I used to have a PSP and used that one cable to play on the TV. Saddly the games didn't look so great. It was a cool thing to do though, but I would of liked if they, y'know, made it look better, somehow.

Btw, you can use a PS3 controller with the PSP Go.

Metallica Pinball Sig photo LONG-LIVE-PLAY-METALLICA-PINBALL_zps397a82cb.jpg
Gameplay -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzxc59Y6GcA
Message 3 of 8 (180 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1846 posts

Aug 3, 2013

Viewtiful_Josh wrote:

No. I mean, unless they somehow polish it a bit to make it look better. I used to have a PSP and used that one cable to play on the TV. Saddly the games didn't look so great. It was a cool thing to do though, but I would of liked if they, y'know, made it look better, somehow.

This would be because there's an inherent problem with the whole idea. You see, PSP and PS Vita games are designed to be played on a small screen. In order to make them play on the big screen, you have to upscale that small image to a big screen, which makes it look like crap.

Get your Portable ID!
Motorstorm 80GB Bundle w/ 320GB HDD
Message 4 of 8 (175 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2922 posts

Aug 3, 2013

Shadelon wrote:

Viewtiful_Josh wrote:

This would be because there's an inherent problem with the whole idea. You see, PSP and PS Vita games are designed to be played on a small screen. In order to make them play on the big screen, you have to upscale that small image to a big screen, which makes it look like crap.

Yulp. I remember I tried to play Burout: Legends on the big screen, dang, it was almost unplayable.

Metallica Pinball Sig photo LONG-LIVE-PLAY-METALLICA-PINBALL_zps397a82cb.jpg
Gameplay -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzxc59Y6GcA
Message 5 of 8 (167 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
9283 posts

Aug 3, 2013

Shadelon wrote:

Vita games would probably look decent going from the Vita screen to a big screen.  The Vita's screen is 960x540.  Exactly half the resolution of 1080p.  Many '1080p' PS3 games are actually 540p upscaled 2x.  WipEout HD is one such game, and it looks outstanding at 1080p.

PSP games, on the other hand, have a native resolution of 480x272.  Upscaling that would be similar to using full screen on a 240p youtube video.  It just wouldn't work well.

The only way PSP games would work on the PS3/PS4 is giving them the HD remake treatment (like the GoW Origins collection), which would require a separate purchase.

Message 6 of 8 (161 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
26190 posts

Aug 3, 2013

Then there would be no point in buying a PSP.

Message 7 of 8 (145 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1042 posts

Aug 4, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Then there would be no point in buying a PSP.

There is no point on buying one already. It's a dead console.

On topic: I would love to see this feature, I could play Dissidia FF, or Persona again, I miss those games =/

Message 8 of 8 (106 Views)
0 Likes