Mar 03 2012
By: oCRIMExWAVEo First Son 3 posts

ADD THIS GAME TO PLAYSTATION 2 CLASSICS FOR DOWNLOAD

24 replies 101 views Edited Mar 3, 2012

I dont know about everyone else But I would love to see the Scarface game added for download from the PS2 section.....it would be good to have that I would deff. buy it and have it for use on my PS3 like if u agree please!

Message 1 of 25 (101 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: ADD THIS GAME TO PLAYSTATION 2 CLASSICS FOR DOWNLOAD

Mar 3, 2012

Scarface is a licenced property, and the original developer (Sierra) is no longer in business. Both of these things would complicate Scarface from being a PS2 Classic...

Message 2 of 25 (101 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Mar 5, 2012

Plus, this is not the place to to ask

Furiously Chaosing
Message 3 of 25 (101 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
271 posts

Mar 5, 2012

read other posts about ps2 classics... i even stated the fact that everything they can will be added to ps2 classics eventually... most they might have liscensing issues but who knows... they might find a way so just give it time

Message 4 of 25 (101 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
498 posts

Mar 5, 2012

It is important to differentiate strategy from execution.

This is the strategy (bolded):

Basch1990 wrote:

read other posts about ps2 classics... i even stated the fact that everything they can will be added to ps2 classics eventually... most they might have liscensing issues but who knows... they might find a way so just give it time

The execution will be far different. Sony isn't doing this conversion for every game, because this involves getting the source code and re-compiling it for the PS3 and re-rendering the graphics to be HD. They will have to get the different publishers to make them into "classics" for download.

Then the publisher will have to QA test it before release. This isn't a project that just takes 30 minutes of time from one person, therefore the publisher will have to assess whether there is even money involved in doing this. If the game didn't sell well in the first place, then they aren't going to make it a "classic". It has to be something there is enough demand for that more than a couple of nostalgic gamers are willing to pay for it.

Message 5 of 25 (101 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Mar 5, 2012

I don't think that PS2 Classics are re-rendered in HD, I believe they are the same as the PS2 original.

I also noticed that every PSone and PS2 Classic (except Tekken 2) has SCEA as the publisher. So I think SCEA must need to aquire the rights to publish themselves, and may also do the conversion too. Only the digital PS3, PSP, and Vita games on PSN seem to be published by their respective developers...

Message 6 of 25 (101 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
498 posts

Mar 5, 2012

Interesting on the SCEA thing. My point is still that it is one thing to desire to make virtually all old games available via PS classics, and another thing to make it happen.

If it was as simple as just copying the compiled code to a server and let it be downloaded, it would already be done for every game. It's more complicated than just procuring the rights to do it. Executing compiled PS2 code requires either a software emulator or the Emotion chip. If it could be done feasibly through software only, then all PS3s would already be BC. Therefore, it stands to reason that PS classics are recompiled for PS3 hardware, so that neither form of emulation is required.

Recompiling implies access to source code. So not only rights to re-publish, but access to source code would be required at minimum for SCEA to post it as a classic. Of course, there are many business models for this, SCEA could pay for the publisher to recompile it, and I'd rather not get caught up in a discussion of who exactly is doing the work and which company exactly writes their paycheck. My point is, that work is required, and that means bodies and cost and man hours. And I know from dealing with software products, that recompiling for different hardware or OS's isn't a bug free process, even if source code doesn't change. So you also have to account for SOME level of QA to verify that the classic actually works before it is posted to the server.

And when you start putting dollars to the process of converting something to a PS classic, if you are a smart businessman, you have to assess how you plan to make that money back at minimum, and preferably how to make more than you spent. Which then implies that you won't see virtually all PS1/2 games on the store for download, not ever. No matter how much a couple of people really want to see them.

That was my point.

Message 7 of 25 (101 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Mar 5, 2012

The Emotion Engine has already been fully emulated in the CELL processor, as in the 80GB BC version of the PS3. The issue is emulating the PS2 GPU on the PS3, this can't be done directly since the PS3's and PS2's GPU are so unalike. Since Sony removed the PS2 GPU from the PS3, I believe it still can be emulated but it would have to use an emulation profile, similar to the technique that the X360 emulates certain Xbox games.

I do agree with most of what you stated, there is work involved with converting these games. But just like with the slowness of getting new titles for the PSone classics, getting the rights for the PS2 classics seems to be the stumbling block here more than anything else. I believe the reason for this is because when these games were originally made, digital distribution rights weren't thought of when these titles were originally made. This has particularly hampered the PSPgo getting access to a fraction of the available PSP games.

Here is a list of PS2 classics that are available in the European PSN store. They have about double the amount of games that the US store has, which I can only attribute to looser laws when it comes to digital distribution rights:

• A Train 6 (£7.99/€9.99)
  • Arcade Classics Vol. 1 (£3.99/€4.99)
  • Bust-A-Bloc (£3.99/€4.99)
  • Cel Damage Overdrive (£3.99/€4.99)
  • Chicken Little (£7.99/€9.99)
  • Disney Princess Enchanted Journey (£7.99/€9.99)
  • God Hand (£7.99/€9.99)
  • Golden Age of Racing (£3.99/€4.99)
  • Gungrave Overdose (£3.99/€4.99)
  • International Super Karts (£2.99/€3.59)
  • Kim Possible: What's the Switch? (£7.99/€9.99)
  • Maximo (£7.99/€9.99)
  • Maximo vs Army of Zin (£7.99/€9.99)
  • Meet the Robinsons (£7.99/€9.99)
  • Mr. Golf (£5.49/€6.99)
  • MX World Tour (£3.99/€4.99)
  • Neo Contra (£7.99/€9.99)
  • Noble Racing (£3.99/€4.99)
  • Road Trip Adventure (£3.99/€4.99)
  • Seek & Destroy (£3.99/€4.99)
  • Skyscraper (£1.99/€2.49)
  • SSX On Tour (£7.99/€9.99)
  • Swords of Destiny (£7.99/€9.99)
  • The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe (£7.99/€9.99)
  • Walt Disney's Donald Duck Quack Attack (£7.99/€9.99)
  • WWI: Aces of the Sky (£3.99/€4.99)
  • WW2: Battle Over The Pacific (£3.99/€4.99)
Message 8 of 25 (101 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
271 posts

Mar 5, 2012

yea and those games dont seem like they would be very popular either... i definitely agree with the same stuff as well... but finding these codes and converting them to digital should take more then a few minutes to a few hours... just like ripping a movie off a dvd and putting it on the internet... same basic principles... all psn is is a network like windows using the internet all a ps3 is is basically a small computer that uses psn like windows... of course windows and psn arent the same in many ways but im sure getting the games and their files ripped onto psn would be the same as a movie onto windows 7...and if games like those are getting put on ps2 classics then you know they are gonna work on getting the rest of them too as soon as they get the licensing to do so...

Message 9 of 25 (101 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Mar 5, 2012

I agree that converting a PSone game is relatively straightforward, since a full emulator exists on every PS3; but a PS2 game does require recoding. While I don't know extensive the work is to convert them, I don't believe it is anywhere as straightforward as converting a PSone game.

Like I said before getting the digital rights is the biggest obsticle, because there are companies that existed during the PSone and PS2 eras, that no longer exist. Or in the case of a licenced property, the IP rights have expired or gone to a different company.

Message 10 of 25 (101 Views)
0 Likes