Reply
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 02/04/2001
Offline
6621 posts
 

Re: Add-on PlayStation 3 HDD will run Linux-No HDD IN PS3?????

Jun 10, 2005


FearNo1 wrote:
And terrorists used PS2s to launch guided missiles. Don't believe the hype. PS3 will be a console, just like PS2...


Savage_Warrior465 wrote:
There will never be a SUPERCOMPUTER on the consumer electrionic market! Never! GOVERNMENTS & RESEARCH FALITIES are the only  place's with super computers like NASA for example!  All the Ps3 is more powerfull is our 32 bit home PC's right now but when windows longhorn comes out(64 bit) the PS3 will begin to be technically outdated! so for about the next 2 years Sony will legally be able to claim its a supercomputer!








My Commodore 64 had the same power to run the systems during the space flights back in the 60's. In fact most any electionic device with a processor can launch missiles with the appropriate software written for it while connected to the right hardware.
Message 41 of 51 (14 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 05/24/2005
Offline
259 posts
 

Re: Add-on PlayStation 3 HDD will run Linux-No HDD IN PS3?????

Jun 10, 2005
,
,
,
,This time, we're positioning the PS3 as a "supercomputer." But people won't recognize it as a computer unless we call it a computer, so we're going to run an OS on it. In fact, the Cell can run multiple OSes. In order to run the OSes, we need a HDD. So in order to declare that the PS3 is a computer, I think we'll have pre-installed with Linux as a bonus. ,
,
,
 
,
From this, it sounds like it will come with a hdd and with an os. Now with an os, we could use applications such as internet browsers.  Probably not internet expolrer for obvious reasons, but probably could use avant browser, netscape, ect... but why wouldnt that be a standard?  I would take a 20 gb pice of crap if it ment haveing a hdd.

Message Edited by trigun0006 on 06-09-2005 10:27 PM

Message 42 of 51 (14 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 05/23/2005
Offline
32 posts
 

Re: Add-on PlayStation 3 HDD will run Linux

Jun 10, 2005


Llama Herder wrote:


Aleman wrote:
Heh, Kutaragi called the PS2 a "supercomputer" as well.  History repeats itself.



Ya he said the same thing about PS2 in 1999 and guess what, he was right.

Compared,to the PCs that were released in 1999, PS2 was a supercomputer. ,Do you think a 1999 PC will be able to run GT4 in 1080i with 60 frames,per second?  Looks like only a supercomputer like the PS2 was able,to do that.




,
,But it is not 1999 anymore.  This is 2005.  If I would have,had GT4 in 1080i with 60 fps back in 1999-2001 . . . alright . . .,supercomputer status.  But I did not get that.  Instead, I,had to wait through countless delays and get online play dropped. ,Supercomputer my ass.
=================================================================
P.ride
I.ntegrity
G.uts
=================================================================
Remember the Toy Story graphics on a machine more powerful than a 733Mhz PC, with online capabalities that would make you feel like you are in the Matrix? I do. It was called XBox.
=================================================================
Sony Products=Overhyped/under-provide
Message 43 of 51 (14 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 11/10/2002
Offline
8277 posts
 

Re: Add-on PlayStation 3 HDD will run Linux

Jun 10, 2005

,
,
,xPIGx wrote:

,
,
,Llama Herder wrote:

,
,
,Aleman wrote:
,
Heh, Kutaragi called the PS2 a "supercomputer" as well.  History repeats itself.

,
,
,


Ya he said the same thing about PS2 in 1999 and guess what, he was right.

,

Compared to the PCs that were released in 1999, PS2 was a supercomputer.  Do you think a 1999 PC will be able to run GT4 in 1080i with 60 frames per second?  Looks like only a supercomputer like the PS2 was able to do that.

,

,
,


But it is not 1999 anymore.  This is 2005.  If I would have had GT4 in 1080i with 60 fps back in 1999-2001 . . . alright . . . supercomputer status.  But I did not get that.  Instead, I had to wait through countless delays and get online play dropped.  Supercomputer my ass.
,

,
,

Wow, some people are thickheaded.  The point is PS2 had no upgrade, therefore it's still considered as a 1999 technology. ,
Message 44 of 51 (14 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 04/11/2004
Offline
3003 posts
 

Re: Add-on PlayStation 3 HDD will run Linux

Jun 10, 2005

,
,
,Llama Herder wrote:

,
,
,xPIGx wrote:

,
,
,Llama Herder wrote:

,
,
,Aleman wrote:
,
Heh, Kutaragi called the PS2 a "supercomputer" as well.  History repeats itself.

,
,
,


Ya he said the same thing about PS2 in 1999 and guess what, he was right.

,

Compared to the PCs that were released in 1999, PS2 was a supercomputer.  Do you think a 1999 PC will be able to run GT4 in 1080i with 60 frames per second?  Looks like only a supercomputer like the PS2 was able to do that.

,

,
,


But it is not 1999 anymore.  This is 2005.  If I would have had GT4 in 1080i with 60 fps back in 1999-2001 . . . alright . . . supercomputer status.  But I did not get that.  Instead, I had to wait through countless delays and get online play dropped.  Supercomputer my ass.
,

,
,

Wow, some people are thickheaded.  The point is PS2 had no upgrade, therefore it's still considered as a 1999 technology.  ,

,
,

And the PS3 is a 2006 technology, and it won't even come within a mile of 2006 supercomputer status.  ,
Message 45 of 51 (14 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 10/21/2003
Offline
15686 posts
 

Re: Add-on PlayStation 3 HDD will run Linux

Jun 10, 2005
look what I found
,
,"And while marketing speak describes the chip as a,"supercomputer" - it remains significantly slower than the slowest,computer on the list of the world's top 500 supercomputers."
,
,http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4242447.stm

,
,
,in other words, while the PS3 may be a "Super Computer", its nowhere,near as fast as some of the other supercomputers. A few years ago, I,remember it when the cell would make the ps3 the 45th most powerful,computer on earth, but technology grows.
,
Message 46 of 51 (14 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 05/16/2005
Offline
4437 posts
 

Re: Add-on PlayStation 3 HDD will run Linux

Jun 10, 2005
Remember that the FLOPS numbers for the PS3 are purely theoretical maximums.  Supercomputer FLOPS numbers are the results of real-world benchmarks.
Message 47 of 51 (14 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 11/10/2002
Offline
8277 posts
 

Re: Add-on PlayStation 3 HDD will run Linux

Jun 10, 2005

,
,
,Jak_the_man wrote:
look what I found

"And while marketing speak describes the chip as a "supercomputer" - it remains significantly slower than the slowest computer on the list of the world's top 500 supercomputers."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4242447.stm



in other words, while the PS3 may be a "Super Computer", its nowhere near as fast as some of the other supercomputers. A few years ago, I remember it when the cell would make the ps3 the 45th most powerful computer on earth, but technology grows.
,

,
,
Exactly, supercomputers become more powerful everyday whereas the PS2 and PS3 cannot be upgraded.  They were one of the fastest computer at one time but soon or later they will be surpassed by other supercomputers.
,
Message 48 of 51 (14 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 05/21/2005
Offline
271 posts
 

Re: Add-on PlayStation 3 HDD will run Linux

Jun 10, 2005
I don't see why Sony didn't put the cell in the psp?
,
Message 49 of 51 (14 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 05/15/2005
Offline
292 posts
 

Re: Add-on PlayStation 3 HDD will run Linux-No HDD IN PS3?????

Jun 10, 2005
I don't believe they said it was a supercomputer, but had supercomputer attributes, (sorry if i am mistaken)
,
,Even if it's one of the slower supercomputers it's still a supercomputer? Correct?
,
,"You've got to be the worst pirate i've ever heared of"
,"But you have heared of me"
,
Message 50 of 51 (14 Views)
Reply
0 Likes