Jul 10 2013
By: MonkeyGovernor First Son 11 posts

Amazon the Only Alternative?

8 replies 141 views Edited Jul 10, 2013

I'm a new PSP Vita owner, and I was looking at some PSP games on Amazon and noticed they sold some games digitally (as well as the points card) for some games.  Unfortunately one of the games is sold out/no longer available at Amazon digitally (normally sold for $19.99) but was available as a UMD sale new for $14.99.

So I logged onto the PSN store and was going to purchase it, when the game was listed as $29.99 digitally.  Ugh.

So just wanted to find out, is Amazon the only place (other than the PSN store itself) that sells digital codes for games?  Did they ever do that UMD to digital program?  Because I'd rather buy it new from Amazon direct and just trade it in for a digital code if that's still a viable option.  

Thanks for any help in advance.

Message 1 of 9 (141 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1648 posts

Re: Amazon the Only Alternative?

Jul 10, 2013

gamestop sells digital copies

Got my Vita for $50. Woot.
Message 2 of 9 (137 Views)
MVP Support
13615 posts

Jul 10, 2013

MonkeyGovernor wrote:

I'm a new PSP Vita owner, and I was looking at some PSP games on Amazon and noticed they sold some games digitally (as well as the points card) for some games.  Unfortunately one of the games is sold out/no longer available at Amazon digitally (normally sold for $19.99) but was available as a UMD sale new for $14.99.

So I logged onto the PSN store and was going to purchase it, when the game was listed as $29.99 digitally.  Ugh.

So just wanted to find out, is Amazon the only place (other than the PSN store itself) that sells digital codes for games?  Did they ever do that UMD to digital program?  Because I'd rather buy it new from Amazon direct and just trade it in for a digital code if that's still a viable option.  

Thanks for any help in advance.

As of now, yeah. Gamestop and other stores used to sell SOME digital codes. Don't think they do anymore.

And the UMD to Digital program was only ever offered in Japan, for a limited time, it wasn't free, and it never came here.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 3 of 9 (136 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Jul 10, 2013
Thanks for the quick reply. Much appreciated, but obviously kind of a bummer. Don't want to overpay for a game that's old and still cheap, yet for some reason more expensive digitally.

Just have to hope one day they start discounting old random PSP games.
Message 4 of 9 (124 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 10, 2013

Artfuldead wrote:

gamestop sells digital copies

That was my first thought, but I didn't see any digital copies for PSP games. I see stuff for PC stuff and some DLC codes for games but nothing for PSP

Message 5 of 9 (119 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
522 posts

Jul 10, 2013

IMO Amazon is the best alternative 

Message 6 of 9 (118 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1648 posts

Jul 10, 2013

MonkeyGovernor wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply. Much appreciated, but obviously kind of a bummer. Don't want to overpay for a game that's old and still cheap, yet for some reason more expensive digitally.

It's probably more expensive because it's still technically new, I think the way they see it is, no one has touch that data yet so it hasn't been tainted or something like that -_- just the way it is w/ digital

Got my Vita for $50. Woot.
Message 7 of 9 (114 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 10, 2013

Artfuldead wrote:

MonkeyGovernor wrote:

It's probably more expensive because it's still technically new, I think the way they see it is, no one has touch that data yet so it hasn't been tainted or something like that -_- just the way it is w/ digital

Kind of why I'm glad we still have Disc the next generation. Scared that without competition, then this all digital future just goes on like this where games only get discounted to a certain extent and then are forgotten and never messed with again.

Welps, again I wait and see if it ever gets discounted or just skip on the game all together. Thanks everyone who replied.

Message 8 of 9 (87 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 10, 2013

Mikewarrior wrote:

IMO Amazon is the best alternative 

Yeah, it's just a bummer that the game I wanted was offered digitally, but they no longer do. Still has the button there to buy it digitally too. Just when you click on it, it says it's no longer available. I'd buy from them in a heartbeat.

Message 9 of 9 (86 Views)
0 Likes