Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 29 2013
By: guerillafilmprod First Son 2 posts

Any recommendations on SSD drives for PS3?

10 replies 245 views Edited Mar 29, 2013

hi there!

I was wondering if a consensus was reached on this. I am planning on buying a good SSD for my PS3. What is the best one out there? I'm told to get one with trim support (or garbage collecting) since the PS os won't do this. OCZ vertex 4 seems viable but I'm a noob at this so I don't know. Any advice? If so, could you provide links to recommended SSD internal HDs? Thanx!

Message 1 of 11 (245 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
551 posts

Re: Any recommendations on SSD drives for PS3?

Mar 29, 2013

From what I've read, SSD has slightly (almost unnoticeably) lower performance, in most scenarios, than HDDs in a PS3.  So, pretty much, the same real-world performance as an HDD, but a much higher price tag.

Message 2 of 11 (242 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
507 posts

Mar 29, 2013
From what I've read about them it depends on the game. Ones that use the hdd heavily, like Skyrim, Rage, and GT5 can see improvements. I still don't think it's worth the price though.

Message 3 of 11 (233 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15664 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 29, 2013

Don't bother....

They're still too expensive compared to HDD's, and with use in the PS3, theres no perceptible gain.

With SSD, you're paying well over $2 per GB for the large drives and about $1.50 per GB for the smaller capacities...

an HDD, you're paying $0.10 per GB on average....

Or how about this....

A 500Gb Hdd is less than $100..... a 512GB SSD is about $400+.... even the common 64 or 128GB SSD's are about $150-250.

The cost vs performance ratio for an SSD is not in the consumers favor when using it in a PS3.

Even with having an SSD, you're still subjected to load times whether you like it or not.... we're a long way from having zero load times.

Logic, who would've thought eh? Oh wait.... No one thinks anymore.
Message 4 of 11 (227 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Apr 2, 2013

wrong. the sata interface is twice as fast in both directions than a typical conventional hd.

your pricing is really outdated too. it's fairly easy to get a very good ssd (like a samsung 840) for about 0.60/GB. i wouldn't pay more than that for an ssd anymore.

the advantages of ssd over hd are:
less heat and sound and vibration generated. faster loading, texture streaming, installing and deleting.

some tests can be seen here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-can-ssd-upgrades-boost-ps3-performance

Message 5 of 11 (188 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1243 posts

Apr 2, 2013
I thought i read somewhere thast SSD and Hybrid Drives were not compatable with the PS3...???

Message 6 of 11 (175 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15664 posts

Apr 2, 2013

cycledance wrote:

wrong. the sata interface is twice as fast in both directions than a typical conventional hd.

your pricing is really outdated too. it's fairly easy to get a very good ssd (like a samsung 840) for about 0.60/GB. i wouldn't pay more than that for an ssd anymore.

the advantages of ssd over hd are:
less heat and sound and vibration generated. faster loading, texture streaming, installing and deleting.

some tests can be seen here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-can-ssd-upgrades-boost-ps3-performance

That test is skewed because they use an outdated/legacy CECHA01 PS3 with the factory hard drive which is not the fastest of hdd's. And not a newer PS3 with a larger capacity and a better operating spec.
Also, they don't outline whether or not all the tested drives are "naked" (only filled with the Games they are playing) or "loaded" (drives filled with data to at least 1/2 the drives total capacity). Which a drives performance can be heavily skewed as such because the overall data density plays a huge factor in overall drive performance.
Also note the two games they used are not games that have been optimized to run on the PS3 as they are mere ports from PC.

And the Samsung 840 series SSDs only cost 0.60/GB because of the relative capacity they are.... 120-128Gb is NOT conducive to the average PS3 environment where many people have games that they DOWNLOAD and INSTALL which can EASILY soak up space. Lets not forget people who also use their PS3 to download videos and music to the PS3's hdd.... as well as rent/buy movies from the Store.

having such a SMALL ssd in favor of a small speed boost that is NEGLIGIBLE in most aspects, is not a compromise people are willing to accept.

We're at an impass where unless you have a 250GB drive in your PS3, you're going to be doing a lot of installing and uninstalling.... which wears down ssd's unlike hdd's. You still can't get a 250GB ssd, not even the last generation drives, for less than $150.

Even while SSD's on the market NOW have a much better life expectancy in terms of reads and writes, they still have a lower finite number than the read and writes on hdd's.

Until SSD prices come anywhere close to the costs of hdd's in terms of capacity, they're not going to be of any benefit to the PS3.

And with the PS4 around the corner, no ones going to really care cause they're going to be busy saving money to buy a PS4.

Speaking of PS4.... with it having PC like architecture, maybe SSD's are better suited for the PS4. That is.... if you want to have an SSD that is a quarter of the PS4's "expected" storage capacity on launch because you can only afford a $120 SSD for 128GB and not the $500+ for a 500/512GB or 1TB SSD....

Message 7 of 11 (167 Views)
PlayStation MVP
15664 posts

Apr 2, 2013

WoolySpud wrote:
I thought i read somewhere thast SSD and Hybrid Drives were not compatable with the PS3...???

They work fine... but theres zero advantage to them on a PS3

Message 8 of 11 (165 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Apr 5, 2013

gR3yGh051 ...you try very hard and the result is a far-fetched attempt full with absurd statements that indicate an irrational hate on ssds in ps3s. you have no idea what u talk about. also talk for yourself and not others.

i suggest everyone interested in this to google the subject. youtube has many examples how ssds elevate the experience u get with ps3. no need to believe me or another person. there is enough data out there.

just yesterday i talked with japanese ps3 speedrunners. they use ssds to shave off a good amount of loading times.

Message 9 of 11 (125 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15664 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 5, 2013

cycledance wrote:

gR3yGh051 ...you try very hard and the result is a far-fetched attempt full with absurd statements that indicate an irrational hate on ssds in ps3s. you have no idea what u talk about. also talk for yourself and not others.

I talk from experience.... regardless if you think what I say is "far fetched filled with absurd statements to an irrational hate on ssds". But its ok.... I am not one to waste money on something that will only give a FEW SECONDS of a faster loading time. I try to make people aware of such when they bring up this subject. 

I've already said before that SSD's do have massive benefits.... ON PC, and hopefully...maybe, on PS4.

i suggest everyone interested in this to google the subject. youtube has many examples how ssds elevate the experience u get with ps3. no need to believe me or another person. there is enough data out there.
Yes, the data is out there.... but thats all it is.... DATA... cold and calculated and numbers and percentages put on paper. Looking just at videos of comparisons is easier to read/understand because you can clearly see the miniscule difference, which only prove me right. 10seconds saved on a loading screen that normally takes 30 seconds? A few seconds here and there does NOTHING.

But also, I can see how not understanding what I've been saying all along can make you come to the conclusion that I hate SSD's.... Its easy to twist something into ones favor.

just yesterday i talked with japanese ps3 speedrunners. they use ssds to shave off a good amount of loading times.

When you're going for a COLLECTIVE decrease in load-times where at the end of a video adds up to a total amount of time "saved"... sure.

Message 10 of 11 (107 Views)