Sackboy
480 posts

Re: Anyone else feel trapped by Call of Duty?

Mar 20, 2014

I'm proud to say that I left the COD franchise after playing Black Ops 2 for a few weeks and saying screw it. So I proudly still don't own Ghosts. Although I have to say that you mentioned Battlefield which I also resorted to(I've been playing Battlefield since Bad Company 2 though), might also be in the state of decline. Battlefield suffers from community issues with the PC users hating on the console users as well as a poor publisher. EA is at fault for net code issues and all the other crap not yet fixed over 6 months after Battlefield 4's launch. EA is too concerned with Activision's schedule rather than their own. As much as I hate to say it, don't bet all of your money on Battlefield because it's following COD's foot steps. 

Message 11 of 19 (236 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2040 posts

Mar 20, 2014

Not+sure+if+NSFW+or+not+_5783f2fdc91e6afbc3e092409c4c5c89.jpg

Message 12 of 19 (233 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11715 posts

Mar 20, 2014

Though I've never cared too much for the Call of Duty series to begin with, I do happen to think that the value of the games overall has taken a turn for the worse over time. The first game on PC wasn't a favorite. Another World War II shooter with tanks and on-foot shooting sprees. The game had glowing reviews all around, but I didn't have the same opinion of it.

After that I'd end up getting Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare when a friend recommended it. The multiplayer took a while to get used to, but in the end it became a favorite to spend time online with friends for learning the new maps and just chatting about whatever. The zombie mode a year later though is what ensured the continued "must-have" of Call of Duty's gravitational pull. That and the fact that it's a Call of Duty.

While I started disliking the multiplayer maps in Call of Duty: World at War (especially with the larger environments and the tanks), the maps did feel improved in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. Black Ops had some decent maps itself, with Modern Warfare 3 feeling like the worst one after all that. And then Black Ops II degenerated with its overly complicated zombie modes and the rise of unappealing real-time strategy mixed in with the campaign. The multiplayer maps weren't anything special for the most part, and Activision decided to start re-releasing the same old maps when you'd overspend on all the bonuses for the game.

Having skipped Call of Duty: Ghosts all together, I'm glad I was able to skip out on the trend for buying a new Call of Duty each year. It's not that I'm against playing the games, but that I've never felt a strong connection with them, at least not entirely as strong as when the multiplayer in Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare first made its debut. Since then the multiplayer has both shown promising aspects and stagnated in the course of a 6+ year history. Until my friends decide to get a PlayStation 4 (which seems unlikely at this point), our Call of Duty days seem to be on hiatus for the time being. Maybe in 2015 the foretold return of zombies will have everyone regrouping again to form a hopefully satisfying zombie mode, unlike the ways of the most recent efforts.

Message 13 of 19 (228 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2275 posts

Mar 20, 2014
Cod is a beast you may not like it but this game ia very fun i cannot wait till black ops 3
Won the ps4 From taco bell!
eGe EV][L GA/\/\][NG E/\/\P][RE
Message 14 of 19 (220 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
662 posts

Mar 20, 2014

motokid837 wrote:

I don't know what it is, but every single year I fall for the same **bleep**, I spend a whole 60 bucks on the new Call of Duty game, and every year I feel as though I enjoy the games less and less. Literally, 97% of the time I go to play online, I just get so **bleep** frusterated and **bleep** and rarely ever play through a whole match. Even when I'm doing good I dont feel the same fun as I used to, I just wished I did a little better.

I like the fast paced gameplay, the smaller maps for quick matches, but I really need to try hard this year to either hold off from buying the **bleep** game at launch and wait for a price drop, or don't waste that money at all. For some reason I keep buying them and always want the new one, but it just brings so much anger and regret over time. The online mode just seems too riddled with crappy spawns (ALWAYS) and completely ridiculous gameplay that leaves me **bleep** and in awe.

On Battlefield though, despite the bugs, to me it feels very fair, I always do decent and feel as though my skill is truly reflected each game, while COD is just a shot in the dark every match I join. I can go from 2-12 to 18-4 within a few minutes. 

I know a lot of you are going to say "don't buy the game then" or leave some snarky comment, but for those who actually share my frusteration, do you too always want the new one but end up hating it later?

I am in the same boat year after year I buy the game and I am like dam this game sucks. But I still buy it. To be honest I am getting tired of FPS all together. Its the same thing year after year. Which is why I bought  FFXIV. I sure hope the PS4 comes out with a lot of platformers and RPG's because I have had enough of FPS to last a lifetime!

Message 15 of 19 (214 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28529 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 20, 2014

So the ultimate conclusion we've reached is that Call of Duty is like Ben and Jerry's ice cream. It may taste good, but suddenly everyone is now buying it, and it feels less special because you have to share your secreat pleasure with the world, and after eating an entire half gallon of it, you have this empty feeling, but you don't want to stop eating it, because you know that when you grab it out of the cooler, even though you see little difference between Stephen Colbert's Americone Dream and Jimmy Fallon's Late Night Snack and you know you could buy Chunky Munkey but you don't want to try anything new because you know what you're getting, and you know it's going to taste good despite how horrible you feel an hour later.

Message 16 of 19 (206 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
382 posts

Mar 20, 2014

CaptainAlbator wrote:

So the ultimate conclusion we've reached is that Call of Duty is like Ben and Jerry's ice cream. It may taste good, but suddenly everyone is now buying it, and it feels less special because you have to share your secreat pleasure with the world, and after eating an entire half gallon of it, you have this empty feeling, but you don't want to stop eating it, because you know that when you grab it out of the cooler, even though you see little difference between Stephen Colbert's Americone Dream and Jimmy Fallon's Late Night Snack and you know you could buy Chunky Munkey but you don't want to try anything new because you know what you're getting, and you know it's going to taste good despite how horrible you feel an hour later.

You may have outdone yourself just a hair, but basically, yes. Except Ben and Jerry's costs a couple dollars and maybe a bloated stomach for the day...while COD is more like 60 bucks..or a tank of gas Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 19 (177 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
137 posts

Mar 20, 2014

I've loved online shooters since quake.  Have owned all the COD's this gen, with GHOSTS being the first time I've regretted buying the title.  Problem is every shooter follows the "COD formula" now (looking at you KILLZONE 3), so you mind as well play COD.  I thought BFBC2 was great.  The destruction was unique, and made it a personal fav.  BF3 they reduced destruction drastically, and I eventually grew bored of it.  Have no intention of buying BF4.  Give me BFBC3!

My recommendation is to play THE LAST OF US multiplayer.  Some of the most intense multiplayer action, i've seen this past gen.  Not FPS, but way more interesting/fun than the COD clones out there.

Message 18 of 19 (171 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
20 posts

Mar 20, 2014

Me and my buddies have switched to only playing squads in cod ghost. Same as playing multiplayer except no little kids or asshats to deal with.and we can play our way

Message 19 of 19 (170 Views)
0 Likes