Nov 26 2013
By: Nowitzki41MFFL Lombax Warrior 120 posts

Anyone have a good recommendation for a 5.1 surround system that works well with PS4?

8 replies 274 views Edited Nov 26, 2013

Looking for a decent sound system, sick of using my TV for sound.

Anyone have a place or a system they can recommend? Budget is probably between 3-400

Message 1 of 9 (274 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
91 posts

Re: Anyone have a good recommendation for a 5.1 surround system that works well with PS4?

Nov 27, 2013
I would get a Home Theater in A Box, and with black friday coming up I'd definitely recommend picking one up then. They come with everything you need and their great as a starter kit. Be warned the packed in sub is trash, but everything else is there. Just make sure you get one that has at least an optical input for the PS4 because some come without one or no input at all.

Just be warned: Home Theater is expensive. I would also recommend investing in a A/V receiver when the time is right.
PS4
PS+ Member
Yamaha A/V Receiver 5.1 Surround Sound
Yamaha 200 Watt 10" Sub
47" LG Passive 3D LED HDTV

PSN ID: Enellz
Message 2 of 9 (263 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3501 posts

Re: Anyone have a good recommendation for a 5.1 surround system that works well with PS4?

[ Edited ]
Nov 27, 2013

Do you already an A/V have receiver?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hd-theater-600-5-1-channel-home-theater-speaker-system-with-powered-subw...

That is a nice deal for speakers.

If not, this is a tidy package here:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/5-1-ch-home-theater-system-with-subwoofer/4566089.p?id=1218487076724&sku...

HUGE fan of Yamaha A/V recievers. Really well built stuff.

It's worth popping into your local Best Buy, I always get super lucky on open box stuff.

The truth will set you free... But it may sting a bit...
Message 3 of 9 (259 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
128 posts

Nov 27, 2013

Ideally you would want to spend a little more and get a dedicated receiver, like a Yamaha or Onkyo 5.1 or 7.1 then buy a HQ speaker system to wire into it, but it would run you a lot more. 

Personally, I couldn't really afford the expensive of a new receiver and speakers (The ones that I really want), so I found a deal on a Samsung E5400 5.1 3D Blu Ray system. Got it for $309 on sale and it is actually really good. Plays all the new audio formats (DTS-HD MA, DD TrueHD, etc) and works perfectly well with the PS4.

Not a bad all in one solution, but if you want perfect bass and stuff you'd have to go with a receiver and seperate speaker solution. The home theater in a box subwoofer like my Samsung doesn't fully hit the frequencies I'd like it to and sounds a little boomy sometimes but would definitely definitely be a huge upgrade over TV sound.

You can also get the version which is slightly more expensive that has wireless rear speakers in case you don't feel like running wire. I don't always trust wireless so I went with the wired rears. I'd definitely recommend this one if you want to stay within your budget. Guns sound alot more like guns now Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 9 (246 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10137 posts

Nov 27, 2013
Not to mention of you buy a receiver, you can build your audio little by little until eventually you have the kind of setup you want. Even with a Receiver and 2.1 setup for the time being is still going to be much better than your TV speakers. I've owned a couple HTiB systems (one Sony and one Panasonic). I was pretty disappointed both times.
Message 5 of 9 (228 Views)
Fender Bender
3501 posts

Nov 27, 2013

Murderstyle75 wrote:
Not to mention of you buy a receiver, you can build your audio little by little until eventually you have the kind of setup you want. Even with a Receiver and 2.1 setup for the time being is still going to be much better than your TV speakers. I've owned a couple HTiB systems (one Sony and one Panasonic). I was pretty disappointed both times.

This is really good advice.

A nice reciever and a couple decent speakers is a great start.

Then add a 12" Sub.

Then 2 rear speakers, etc.

The truth will set you free... But it may sting a bit...
Message 6 of 9 (224 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
251 posts

Nov 27, 2013
Try the Bose Solo its not a 5.1 but its a definate upgrade from the TV's sound system. You can get it at $359
Message 7 of 9 (207 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
42 posts

Nov 27, 2013

Decent receiver for $198.

Good speaker set for $276 shipped.

(use code "THANKS15")

So for $474 you have a very good/great setup.

You don't need a very expensive receiver; most of what you get in the higher cost receivers is more features, inputs, etc. So a basic 5.1 will do the job.

As for the speakers, that's where you want to put your money. The set I linked to is a monoprice clone of the energy take classic 5.1 set, an amazing set and what I use in my own setup.

Message 8 of 9 (181 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Dec 27, 2013

just bought this VIZIO Sound Bar 5.1 with satelite speakers and subwoofer and it's seriously amazing.

You just gotta be sure to connect it directly to your ps4 or else the sound wont be true 5.1 DTS/Dolby Digital
$300 and it's the best. Highly rated on CNET as well.

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-S4251w-B4-Soundbar-Subwoofer-Satellite/dp/B00CDIK908/

Message 9 of 9 (120 Views)
0 Likes