Fender Bender
4437 posts

Re: Anyone noticed there's no 56k port on Playstation® 3

May 31, 2005

,InTheZoneAC wrote:
I have a question about ethernet cables in general. are there ethernet cables out there that allow for faster data transfer to cut a little bit of lag down if there is any? I have cable internet and was just wondering if someone makes ethernet cables that make your internet run a tad bit faster. Like instead of using the standard cables the modem/router comes with someone sells quality cables for a higher price, but it also improves the performance

No, different ethernet cables will not cut down on lag or improve your internet speed.
Please use plain text.
Message 51 of 58 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3552 posts

May 31, 2005

InTheZoneAC wrote:
I have a question about,ethernet cables in general. are there ethernet cables out there that,allow for faster data transfer to cut a little bit of lag down if there,is any? I have cable internet and was just wondering if someone makes,ethernet cables that make your internet run a tad bit faster. Like,instead of using the standard cables the modem/router comes with,someone sells quality cables for a higher price, but it also improves,the performance

No sorry theres no "special cable". All CAT5 (ethernet) cabling is the same.

Please use plain text.
Message 52 of 58 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3598 posts

May 31, 2005
Actually dropping 56k is something to be excited about. ,

I know, but I meant don't get too excited about it becoming a reality.  Just because the PS3 doesn't have a modem port doesn't mean that the Internet connection it will use isn't based on a 56K modem.  With the PS3 on your LAN, your upward connection to your ISP could still be a 56K modem and your PS3 won't know the difference.

The only thing game companies can do is allow filtering by ping time to prevent those with high pings from joining particular games -- this would even filter out cable/dsl users with laggy connections.  However, this may get some people mad when they have a broadband connection (like the game says it requires) and they still can't join a game because they still have high pings to the game server (cable/dsl doesn't guarantee a fast connection).
Please use plain text.
Message 53 of 58 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3598 posts

May 31, 2005
I have a question about ethernet cables in general. are there ethernet cables out there that allow for faster data transfer to cut a little bit of lag down if there is any?,

The short answer is no.

Most of the network lag you suffer is beyond your control... it's caused by the servers out on the internet.  It takes time for that data to be handed off from one server to the next before it reaches its destination and then makes the trip back.  The amount of time it takes for the data to travel from your PS2/computer to your modem is nothing in comparison.
Please use plain text.
Message 54 of 58 (1 View)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jun 1, 2005

InTheZoneAC wrote:
I have a question about ethernet cables in general. are there ethernet cables out there that allow for faster data transfer to cut a little bit of lag down if there is any? I have cable internet and was just wondering if someone makes ethernet cables that make your internet run a tad bit faster. Like instead of using the standard cables the modem/router comes with someone sells quality cables for a higher price, but it also improves the performance

Well there isn't any cable that will give proformance boosts per say without upgrading your network, but CAT6 is faster than CAT5. I use CAT6 in my 10/100 network and it works great.

About 56k modems, they can still be used all you have to do it connect the phone line to your computer and then share the connection with you console over your network.

I have 10Mbit/10Mbit (10Mbit= 1000KB/s or 10000kbs or 1MB/s) FIOS for $50 though Surewest and I accually average faster than that (11Mbit symetrical). Hopefully they upgrade the game servers because I sometimes get sever lag which sucks.
Please use plain text.
Message 55 of 58 (1 View)
0 Likes
Sackboy
471 posts

Jun 1, 2005
Im glad they finally went with Ethernet.
,I find it hard to believe that fans spun a negative on Xbox live being BB only.
"Our ideal is for consumers to think to themselves, 'OK, I'll work more hours and buy it.' We want people to feel that they want it, no matter what." - Ken Kutaragi

Please use plain text.
Message 56 of 58 (1 View)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1044 posts

Jun 1, 2005

,Batista20 wrote:
Im glad they finally went with Ethernet.

I find it hard to believe that fans spun a negative on Xbox live being BB only.

Your correct batista,  and isn't it funny now that sony is copying a lot of things from microsoft all of a sudden it's ok now with sony fanboys.  Last generation of consoles it was the xbox is too big,  the controller is too big,  no 56k,  and you have to pay for xbox live.  Now that sony has the bigger system and that boomerang controller and broadband only,  it's just fine,  goes to show the fanboyism in these forums.  Being broadband only is a great move for sony,  they should also try to adapt the credit card for online play,  this keeps the kids,  and the ghetto from running their foul mouths online.  Not all but most,  you can't have it all.,
Please use plain text.
Message 57 of 58 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3111 posts

Jun 1, 2005
lol.. 56k when all the games that are online strictly say broadband only.. 56k is the thing of an ancient civilization! (lol.. like 5 years ago)
Please use plain text.
Message 58 of 58 (1 View)
0 Likes