Treasure Hunter
5295 posts

Re: Are Condoms and RedBull Acceptable Preorder Bonuses?

Feb 17, 2014
What do they need condoms for when they'll be too busy playing Infamous? Lol
Please use plain text.
Message 61 of 69 (203 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2156 posts

Feb 17, 2014

ck2875 wrote:

So I really do hope I'm not overestimating the maturity level here, but this has been making its way around NeoGAF and gaming news sites... so...

What do you guys think about the inFAMOUS: Second Son pre-order bonus for GameStop Italy?

PreOrderSS_Italy

• Two Cans of RedBull
  • Glow in the Dark Flourescent Condoms

The writing on the box itself translates to: "FULL OF ENERGY FOR AN EXPLOSION OF PLEASURE", so yeah.

Fine print translates to: "Only by GameStop, preorder Infamous Second Son and receive Preorder Kit. GamStop exclusive: the game contains 2 cans of Red Bull and a box of condoms fluorescent"

Is this simply Sucker Punch and SCEE trying to let you experience Deslin's Neon power first hand? Is it in poor taste? At any rate, I doubt this would fly in North America.

What do you guys think? Debate.

You have to remember...  Other countries are more opened about sex and nudity.  I remember when living in Germany at a young age, you took your chances going to a swimming pool, because swimming suits were optional..

Here in the states, we are more closed about it, thanks to the Government.  Just take a look at some of their TV shows versus ours.

Please use plain text.
Message 62 of 69 (190 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
2272 posts

Feb 17, 2014

Different culture than us. They are more open about sex than this side of the world.

Saying that, I would only find it acceptable here if it came as pre-oder bonus from certain shops. There are various shops that are more adult oriented and sell games too, from those I would not mind. Otherwise, I would not want a kid to go to Gamestop and end up with a pack of glowing condoms.

mvpbluesigTheJLC.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 63 of 69 (185 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
2378 posts

Feb 17, 2014

I don't see what the big deal is here or why anyone would think this is controversial or "an outrage." If the condoms in the preorder help prevent even one person from getting an STD or prevents even one unwanted pregnancy then it served a useful purpose. I guess it's more useful than a figurine or artbook collecting dust on a shelf. Is it a crappy pre-order bonus? I think so. I can go to the gas station and buy a Red Bull and condoms if I wanted to so this certainly would not be an incentive for me (personally) to pre-order the game. But this pre-order bonus got them what they wanted, publicity and free advertising.

PlayStation MVP | PS Plus member | BETA Tester | YouTube Partner www.twitter.com/semajmarc87 | www.youtube.com/semajmarc87
1,300+ followers | 100+ subscribers
Please use plain text.
Message 64 of 69 (183 Views)
Sackboy
522 posts

Feb 18, 2014

Poor taste, no matter the country. At least they want people to practice safe sex.

Please use plain text.
Message 65 of 69 (167 Views)
Welcoming Committee
8689 posts

Feb 18, 2014
I thought maybe this was a joke at first as it just seems.. yeah a little out of taste but it apparently seems a legitimate story. I wouldnt want it here if not for the fact that I prefer my bonuses to be tangible items like figurines artbooks shirts etc that I can use for a while as opposed to condoms and drinks which are purely one time usage items. I dont mind DLC either if you get repeated value out of it I suppose, I would rather that than this 'power pack'
Support Forums
Please use plain text.
Message 66 of 69 (155 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2156 posts

Feb 18, 2014

ossiecastro5 wrote:

This game has a T for teens rating. Why give condoms to teens, so they can do things earlier than they should? 

If they gave out Delsin's hat or something, that would have been beter.

say what??  They are already doing things earilier then should..  Sex Ed in school, explains it all...  not a very smart comment..

Please use plain text.
Message 67 of 69 (144 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3469 posts

Feb 18, 2014

Hey, this is great! Now I won't have to go to the store when I have need for condoms. It's embarrasing enough to buy them anyway!

:smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Message 68 of 69 (141 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
5446 posts

Feb 18, 2014

It's a video game, rated for teens, that includes a prophylactic and a carbonated drink infused with Vitamin B/caffeine.

Surprising?  Sure.

Inappropriate?  That's up to the parents and/or guardians of the individual interested in the game.

To those scolding the move, I say three things:

1. Don't be so naive.  People have sex.  Condoms don't encourage teen pregnancy - they prevent it.
  2. As has been said, this is from Italy.  Jusging their culture based on ours is just... inappropriate.
  3. The marketing got your attention, didn't it? :smileyhappy:

Grindhead_Jim

Please use plain text.
Message 69 of 69 (136 Views)