Reply
Highlighted
Dec 16 2013
By: dulun18 Limit Breaker 22906 posts
Offline

Are Games Crippled By Easy Modes?

31 replies 306 views Edited Dec 16, 2013

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/ChrisDunson/20131213/207015/Are_Games_Crippled_By_Easy_Modes.php

 

just pick the level you want to play ..

 

some like a challenge some just want to play for the story..

What Are Internet TROLLS ?
To QUOTE- TOP RIGHT of the reply box - To MULTI-QUOTE
PSP and PS3 owner..YES...i still play the LAST GEN systems
****still waiting for The LAST GUARDIAN****
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 1 of 32 (306 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 04/28/2009
Offline
875 posts
 

Re: Are Games Crippled By Easy Modes?

Dec 16, 2013

Easy mode kinda kills the excitement for me. Only puzzles and challenges makes me enjoy the game. That is why I'm enjoying Knack on hard right now.

Long, Live, Play ~PlayStation
Message 2 of 32 (296 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
Registered: 12/08/2008
Offline
12347 posts
 

Re: Are Games Crippled By Easy Modes?

Dec 16, 2013

I feel a challenge is the only way to have fun in a game.

 

When things are easy there is no accomplishment.

 

Even online games when I feel the other team is outnumbered or outgunned or being base ravaged I will switch teams, or let them escape the base or restrict myself to some lesser weapon so they can at least stay competetive.

 

Its no fun when I know I will win and dont have to try.

 

 

Its just video game death and yet some players fear it as if it was real and play cheap, use cheats, team stack, etc.  Its pathetic IMHO, but to each their own and for many its all about winning, even if it wsnt you playing judging by the new PS4 feature that lets your friends play your games for you.

 

 

Na13-31 wrote:
Finally, the structure of my question is that you would have to disprove every possible outcome to be correct and I would just have to have one that would likely be beneficial. That's statistically in my favor by quite a bit.


some_text
Message 3 of 32 (293 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
Registered: 12/08/2008
Offline
12347 posts
 

Re: Are Games Crippled By Easy Modes?

Dec 16, 2013

Also I think more trophies should be based on difficulties.

 

Sure you killed 5 enemies with one grenade, but you did it on easy so who cares?

 

Sure you beat the hardest difficulty, but you did it after playing on easy 4 times first to know exactly where everything is.

 

If I made a game at least 1/4 of the trophies would be based on the hardest difficulity.

 

The poster in that article speaks as if that is his play style, and I applaud such.

 

Why does everyone just want platnums as the goal for playing a game, and buying guides, watching walk throughs to get them is no accomplishment IMHO.

 

Merry PS4.

Na13-31 wrote:
Finally, the structure of my question is that you would have to disprove every possible outcome to be correct and I would just have to have one that would likely be beneficial. That's statistically in my favor by quite a bit.


some_text
Message 4 of 32 (282 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
Registered: 12/17/2004
Offline
22906 posts
 

Re: Are Games Crippled By Easy Modes?

[ Edited ]
Dec 16, 2013

Knight-20 wrote:

Easy mode kinda kills the excitement for me. Only puzzles and challenges makes me enjoy the game. That is why I'm enjoying Knack on hard right now.


they mentioned Catherine in the article for its challenge and puzzles..

What Are Internet TROLLS ?
To QUOTE- TOP RIGHT of the reply box - To MULTI-QUOTE
PSP and PS3 owner..YES...i still play the LAST GEN systems
****still waiting for The LAST GUARDIAN****
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 5 of 32 (278 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
Registered: 12/17/2004
Offline
22906 posts
 

Re: Are Games Crippled By Easy Modes?

[ Edited ]
Dec 16, 2013

Phillyblunz wrote:

 

Even online games when I feel the other team is outnumbered or outgunned or being base ravaged I will switch teams, or let them escape the base or restrict myself to some lesser weapon so they can at least stay competetive.

 

Its just video game death and yet some players fear it as if it was real and play cheap, use cheats, team stack, etc.  Its pathetic IMHO,

 


 

competitive..  that reminded me..

 

ever play in an online match where a sore loser wearing a headset who will keep saying

 

when he killed you    "stay down b*tch"

 

when you killed him  " f**ker"

 

 

i encountered one of these guys online (KILLZONE 2 ONLINE)   some guy from the BOO  team..  a clan of hackers/glitchers

 

i was in a match where 3 of their clan members are hidden inside a building and just shooting out killing others during a search and destroy mission..

 

on other hands.. i noticed.. gamers who quitted before the final score.. so they will not get a loss on their game record!! LOL Smiley Happy

 

when the other teams are too strong it's not worth it since there's not enough kills to go around.. i hate matches where i have to run around for 2-3 minutes to find someone to kill..   it means that the other side is weak and they got slaughtered before they made it to the objective area...

 

 

 

 

What Are Internet TROLLS ?
To QUOTE- TOP RIGHT of the reply box - To MULTI-QUOTE
PSP and PS3 owner..YES...i still play the LAST GEN systems
****still waiting for The LAST GUARDIAN****
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 6 of 32 (265 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
Registered: 12/08/2008
Offline
12347 posts
 

Re: Are Games Crippled By Easy Modes?

Dec 16, 2013

dulun18 wrote:

Phillyblunz wrote:

 

Even online games when I feel the other team is outnumbered or outgunned or being base ravaged I will switch teams, or let them escape the base or restrict myself to some lesser weapon so they can at least stay competetive.

 

Its just video game death and yet some players fear it as if it was real and play cheap, use cheats, team stack, etc.  Its pathetic IMHO,

 


 

competitive..  that reminded me..

 

ever play in an online match where a sore loser wearing a headset who will keep saying

 

when he killed you    "stay down b*tch"

 

when you killed him  " f**ker"

 

 

i encountered one of these guys online (KILLZONE 2 ONLINE)   some guy from the BOO  team..  a clan of hackers/glitchers

 

i was in a match where 3 of their clan members are hidden inside a building and just shooting out killing others during a search and destroy mission..

 

on other hands.. i noticed.. gamers who quitted before the final score.. so they will not get a loss on their game record!! LOL Smiley Happy

 

when the other teams are too strong it's not worth it since there's not enough kills to go around.. i hate matches where i have to run around for 2-3 minutes to find someone to kill..   it means that the other side is weak and they got slaughtered before they made it to the objective area...

 

 

 

 


The worst is when games allow people to create a server and kick anyone out who kills them.

 

Run through a game for 20 minutes just to get kicked at the end cause you killed the host, lol, how sad these guys can be.

 

For this reason I think no game should ever have the kick option in one persons hands, how fair is it to play online and only let players worse then you play?

 

That is one of the main reasons why stats are completely meaningless, almost every good stat you ever seen someone have is padded.  So whats the point?  Play who can pad the best?  Its why I cant stand the lust for trophies and clans who stack matches, etc.

 

I find it hard to believe the older gen who grew up as I did could be the ones being such poor sports, I blame the newer generation and their lack of empathy for other humans, we all knew the desensitizing would take its toll, the main effect seems to be complete lack of empathy.

 

I have more fun when I think I am playing against people having fun.

 

Last night in BF3, we were outnumbered pretty bad so I thought perhaps I would try to do some sniping from my base, a guy came running in and tossed a C4 at me and two others hiding in one spot and we all blew up together.

He was a suicide bomber and I thought that was funny as heck, he must have been right about to explode from being behind enemy lines and was probably so happy he found someone to kill just before hand.

Made my night.

Na13-31 wrote:
Finally, the structure of my question is that you would have to disprove every possible outcome to be correct and I would just have to have one that would likely be beneficial. That's statistically in my favor by quite a bit.


some_text
Message 7 of 32 (254 Views)
Limit Breaker
Registered: 12/17/2004
Offline
22906 posts
 

Re: Are Games Crippled By Easy Modes?

Dec 17, 2013

Phillyblunz wrote:

I find it hard to believe the older gen who grew up as I did could be the ones being such poor sports, I blame the newer generation and their lack of empathy for other humans, we all knew the desensitizing would take its toll, the main effect seems to be complete lack of empathy.

 

I have more fun when I think I am playing against people having fun.

 

Last night in BF3, we were outnumbered pretty bad so I thought perhaps I would try to do some sniping from my base, a guy came running in and tossed a C4 at me and two others hiding in one spot and we all blew up together.

 

He was a suicide bomber and I thought that was funny as heck, he must have been right about to explode from being behind enemy lines and was probably so happy he found someone to kill just before hand.

Made my night.


 

empathy?   Gamasutra posted an article about it..  you should read it.  it's interesting..

 

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/Blog-Teaching-players-empathy-and-changin...

 

i play killzone 2 online still because there's no aim assist..  i tried BF3.. KZ3.. CODs.. etc.. didn't like it.. too easy.. BF3 allow you to lie down as well .. so it's a perfect caming position for sniper from afar or hallway..

 

 

What Are Internet TROLLS ?
To QUOTE- TOP RIGHT of the reply box - To MULTI-QUOTE
PSP and PS3 owner..YES...i still play the LAST GEN systems
****still waiting for The LAST GUARDIAN****
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 8 of 32 (251 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 08/31/2005
Offline
8661 posts
 

Re: Are Games Crippled By Easy Modes?

[ Edited ]
Dec 17, 2013

Not at all. It allows for a game to be more accessible. Some people don't want the challenge and just want to experience the story, and an Easy Mode caters to that. Having an Easy Mode in a game doesn't change anything if you want to play on Normal or Hard.

 

However I think there is a problem with the "harder" difficulties. Like the article mentions most games Hard Mode normally just increases the enemies health and attack power, this doesn't really add much of a challenge unless you make a mistake, and chances are if you are going to try a Hard Mode then you are pretty good at the game to not mess up.


What Hard Mode should do is change it up a bit, like enemies you would normally expect much later in the game turn up early, different enemy configurations, different enemy placements, etc. It should be something that surprises you, keeps you on your toes, it should be unexpected instead of knowing what is coming up. Again, like the article mentions, Catherine does it perfectly. You get different puzzles depending on the difficulty you are playing on, meaning you have to rethink what you need to do.

 

Dark Souls is known for being hard, but if you are one of those people that knows the game in and out it basically become a routine. However there is a mod for Dark Souls that makes enemies more aggressive, not that they do more damage or whatever, but they start coming after you a lot sooner, wandering the map, they also have an increased line of sight and don't let up when you try and run away from them. This changes up where the enemies are normally, and it adds that element of surprise back to the game, and that is what Hard Modes should do, break that comfort of predictability. Smiley Mad

Message 9 of 32 (238 Views)
Limit Breaker
Registered: 12/17/2004
Offline
22906 posts
 

Re: Are Games Crippled By Easy Modes?

Dec 17, 2013

VR_F0X wrote:

Having an Easy Mode in a game doesn't change anything if you want to play on Normal or Hard.

 


True

 

some games have 3-5 difficulties to choose from..  so pick your poison Smiley Happy   Smiley Very Happy

What Are Internet TROLLS ?
To QUOTE- TOP RIGHT of the reply box - To MULTI-QUOTE
PSP and PS3 owner..YES...i still play the LAST GEN systems
****still waiting for The LAST GUARDIAN****
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 10 of 32 (228 Views)
Reply
0 Likes