Highlighted
May 10 2013
By: Bigdogtim7 Splicer 94 posts

Are the fat ps3 blue-ray players interchangeable?

1 replies 453 views Edited May 10, 2013

Are the fat ps3 blue-ray players interchangeable? (60Gb to 40Gb to 80Gb)

Can I easily repair the Blue Ray player in a 40Gb PS3?

I tried a search on the forum and couldn't find the answer. Fan will Ramp up to max & then shut down w/ the Blinking Red light. Now I would just like to get my 40 Gb working, as it works, but has stopped reading DVD's & Blue-Ray games. It 1st started having problems w/ the BlueRay a week ago, when the player wouldn't suck in the disk & I would have to push it in.

I ask because I have repaired my 60Gb so many time for 7 years & now it just no longer works, as it starts up and after a short period of time fails.

Thx for any help,

Bigdogtim7

PS.. used BlueRay name so many different ways so I can get the right spelling. May not make sense but the spell check included here didn't have the answer.

2 PS3's owned, as this is the ultimate Gaming/Entertainment Experience!
Favorite PS3 game: COD4
COD4 Prestige 1 Level 55, Kill/Death Ratio 0.98
LOVE the M4, MP5 & all LMG's (have Blue Tiger on SAW & RPD)
Currently Playing: COD 4 & Resistance. Can't wait for Killzone 2 and Resistance 2. Major Disk Space used, close to 50 Gb.
Message 1 of 2 (453 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8194 posts

Re: Are the fat ps3 blue-ray players interchangeable?

May 10, 2013

Bigdogtim7 wrote:

Are the fat ps3 blue-ray players interchangeable? (60Gb to 40Gb to 80Gb)

No. Each model may have a different BD drive. Check out the BD Drive index here:

http://www.ps3devwiki.com/wiki/Bluray_Drive#Bluray_Drive_Revisions

Bigdogtim7 wrote:
Can I easily repair the Blue Ray player in a 40Gb PS3?

I tried a search on the forum and couldn't find the answer. Fan will Ramp up to max & then shut down w/ the Blinking Red light. Now I would just like to get my 40 Gb working, as it works, but has stopped reading DVD's & Blue-Ray games. It 1st started having problems w/ the BlueRay a week ago, when the player wouldn't suck in the disk & I would have to push it in.

Depends on what's broken.

If the mechanism for disc loading/ejecting isn't working, the BD mechanism may have issues, the sensor that detects discs isn't working, or there is not enough power going to the BD drive OR maybe even the controller board itself has issues driving the motor.

By the way, PS3 BD Controller Boards are coded: You'll have to take the controller board from the broken BD drive then place it in the replacement one for it to work.

Message 2 of 2 (450 Views)
0 Likes