Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apr 02 2014
By: RISE_UP44 PlayStation MVP 834 posts

At what age should you take down the gaming posters off your walls?

[ Edited ]
46 replies 439 views Edited Apr 2, 2014

Yesterday I was listening to Podcast Beyond, IGN.coms Playstation podcast and a topic was brought up about at what age should you remove the Video Game Posters, Swag, collectables, comic books etc.. from your walls and shelves? I can not seem to get this out of my head ever since hearing it.  I listened to that entire hour long podcast and do not remember a single other thing they talked about excpet for this subject.. When it ended I found I had been staring at my walls the whole time thinking about the memories and debating whether or not it is time to take down the posters. 

You see I turn 30 years old this  year in early June and I have once before taken down the posters from my walls leaving only a select few and once again two years later my walls are once again covered.  I live in a nice little basement Studio apartment so my bedroom is actually my living room with a big kitch off to the side and every wall you see is covered from floor to ceiling with all things Video games.   One of the hosts of this Podcast mentioned the fact that in his mind it is okay to keep certain things as long as they are in frames.  I am thinking may be the route I want to take because I do not think I am ready to totally wipe my walls clean but I do agree that maybe it is time to clean these walls up and make them look presentable because let's face it any girl I bring home who does not play regularly or follow the gaming industry will be scared off the second they come here.  

Now I guess in writing this I think I have came to terms with what I have to do and I guess I will be going to buy a few large picture frames soon.  If I allow myself to only keep a hand full of posters I know my favorites are my Maggie McFarline poster from Red Dead Redemption followed by my Assassins Creed Pirate flag poster.  This is going to be a tough tough decision which others to keep.  In the coming months I will be sure to post Links to any Swag give aways or ebay auctions I hold for this mountain of  gaming swag because my line of thinking is if it is going to go in a closet or out of sight I may as well give it to someone else that is able to display it.  I am not at all in any way turning my back on video games, actually it is quite the opposite. I am trying to pursue a career in the Games Industry so I guess doing this now will eliminate having to do it later if I move. 

What do you all think about this?  When is to old to have your walls covered with posters? If you could only keep one or two posters which would you keep?

- Rise_Up44

Mod Edit: Fixed grammar in title, added Ask the Community label. Check here for more information.  Also added breaks to body of text. Want to learn more about Forum Rules of Conduct? Click here. -Super_Nova2k13

RISE_UP44
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 47 (439 Views)
Gaming Beast
1875 posts

Re: At What Age should you take down the gaming Posters off your Walls??

Apr 2, 2014
As long as you are interested in it, or just enjoy having them up on your wall I don't think there is an age that's too old.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 47 (435 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1019 posts

Apr 2, 2014

I don't think you are ever really too old to support a hobby you are interested in. In a one bedroom you are somewhat limited though when entertaining/etc.

I have a 3 bedroom place, and basicallly have all of my comic/gaming/nerd paraphernalia in one room, which is where I also play. 

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 47 (426 Views)
MVP Support
8086 posts

Apr 2, 2014
I've never been one for posters on the walls, but the collectibles on the shelves can be interesting when a non-gaming real life friend pops over. I have Pandora's Box from the GOW3 CE sitting on the entertainment cabinet under my TV... most visitors think it is extremely cool looking.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 47 (413 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
574 posts

Re: At what age should you take down the gaming posters off your walls?

Apr 2, 2014
Never
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 47 (390 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
574 posts

Apr 2, 2014
I'm 24 and as long as your girl is ok and puts out don't worry about your posters and things
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 47 (388 Views)
Welcoming Committee
11322 posts

Apr 2, 2014

Do you  need to have the words of others impact what you like? If you like the posters and want to keep them, go ahead and keep them. Posters help display an interest we may have, whether it's about video games, cars, sports, and etc.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 47 (376 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Community Manager
4556 posts

Apr 2, 2014

I'm in the "Frame It" camp.  Not due to any maturity issue, or age, or anything like that... but it just looks better on the wall if it's framed.  This is true for gaming posters, pictures of your friends, prints of famous art, pictures of sports heroes or stadiums... anything.  

They're collectables, so having them isn't some weird thing.  But how you present them says something about how you view them. The more care you show them, the better, imo.

I don't have gaming posters up, but I do have Conan and Star Wars prints framed on my wall... as well as some civil rights posters from the past.  No woman has ever judged me on that, at all (at least not negatively).

Tempest_Fire | @strebeck
PlayStation Network Senior Community Manager
Sony Computer Entertainment America
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 47 (365 Views)
Welcoming Committee
8620 posts

Apr 2, 2014

Tempest_Fire wrote:

I'm in the "Frame It" camp.  Not due to any maturity issue, or age, or anything like that... but it just looks better on the wall if it's framed.  This is true for gaming posters, pictures of your friends, prints of famous art, pictures of sports heroes or stadiums... anything.  

They're collectables, so having them isn't some weird thing.  But how you present them says something about how you view them. The more care you show them, the better, imo.

I don't have gaming posters up, but I do have Conan and Star Wars prints framed on my wall... as well as some civil rights posters from the past.  No woman has ever judged me on that, at all (at least not negatively).

And the posters, etc., won't fall apart. I have some art cards I got with FF X and X-2 that I plan on getting framed so they'll stay in good shape and I have a Entertainment Weekly Magazine I want framed since the picture is so well shot.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 47 (354 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
304 posts

Apr 2, 2014
I would say keep it in the proper place like your man cave , game room,entertainment area i would not decorate my whole house with gaming collectables. That said i would say your never to old.
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 47 (343 Views)
0 Likes