Treasure Hunter
4522 posts

Re: 3 tips for a Greener and Cooler-Running Backwards Compatible PS3 system

May 16, 2010

Great thread... only wish I had read something like this a few days ago...

My first time dealing with YLOD 

Now I don't know what I should do.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 10 of 535 (1,467 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
71 posts

May 16, 2010
Some good information about the power supply...

http://www.edepot.com/playstation3.html#PS3_Power_Supply
Final Fantasy XIII Lighting Edition PS3
Message 11 of 535 (1,467 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

May 16, 2010

biggie86205 wrote:

Good write-up! Ive done all that, except the first one. I would be cautious using the 40gig power supply. The 60gig needs more juice than a 40, hence why it has a different power supply.

I definitely recommend upgrading to a 19 blade fan and better thermal paste!

I would disagree. According the the 60GB PS3 manual, power the system consumes maximum of 380 Watts, which is a little less than what the ZSSR5391 & the APS-226 can supply (12V X 32A = 384W). However according to edepot (a little lower on the page), a 60GB PS3 averages only 205W when doing its most demanding application (playing a game). The APS-231 supplies (12V X 23.5A = 282W), much more than enough to do the job.

I would also like to add that the ZSSR5391/APS-226/APS-231 power supplies have exactly the same screw mounting positions and the same number of pins (5) supplying the output power. If the APS-231 power supply wasn't "backwards compatible" with the 20/60/80GB models, I believe Sony would have altered the screw mounting positions and make the the number of output pins different, to avoid incompatibility complications.

Besides I have been testing this out myself for the last two weeks, and it works great

Message 12 of 535 (1,467 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
112 posts

May 16, 2010

lol, i wish i would have read this long ago while my 60gb fat was in funtional operation, now its deceased in a box after YLOD on its way to Sony for a new 120gb slim, any advice on how to "prolong" the life of that one? this time around i plan to figure out a way to construct pegs of some kind ...or four small legs for underneath, to help circulation....any advice other than that to help the life of the slim???? thx

1st prestige.
13k kills / 8k Deaths .... and counting. 17 match win streak.

- MSG Rooneydino_ for a FIFA 10 match -
Message 13 of 535 (1,467 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

May 16, 2010

D-Nitrate wrote:

I wrote an addendum to my post that should interest you....

Message 14 of 535 (1,467 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4522 posts

May 16, 2010

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

D-Nitrate wrote:

Thanks, but that won't help me because if I were going to replace my PS3 I would definitely get the recently announced slim with both the CPU and GPU using 45nm chips.

However, if I can fix my PS3, or find a reputable place to get it fixed, that would be the best, as it would save me money, and a lot of time adding all my accounts and having to re-download all my games, DLC, add-ons, and videos.  My current PS3 has a 320GB HDD, and it has over 250GB of data on it.  That's going to take a long time to get any replacement PS3 back to where I have mine right now, especially without being able to use the Data Transfer Utility.

In fact, without being able to use the Data Transfer Utility, if I end up having to replace my PS3, I am also going to lose every single one of my game saves, and as one might guess from my trophy list, I have a lot of game saves!

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 15 of 535 (1,467 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

May 16, 2010

rexx25 wrote:

lol, i wish i would have read this long ago while my 60gb fat was in funtional operation, now its deceased in a box after YLOD on its way to Sony for a new 120gb slim, any advice on how to "prolong" the life of that one? this time around i plan to figure out a way to construct pegs of some kind ...or four small legs for underneath, to help circulation....any advice other than that to help the life of the slim???? thx

I recommend that you should replace the thermal grease of the ps3 slim, after your warranty has expired. AFAIK the PS3 Slim fan only comes in the 17 blade variety, and even you put in the new 2100A power supply in your slim, the power savings/heat difference would be minimal...

Message 16 of 535 (1,467 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

May 16, 2010

D-Nitrate wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

D-Nitrate wrote:

Thanks, but that won't help me because if I were going to replace my PS3 I would definitely get the recently announced slim with both the CPU and GPU using 45nm chips.

However, if I can fix my PS3, or find a reputable place to get it fixed, that would be the best, as it would save me money, and a lot of time adding all my accounts and having to re-download all my games, DLC, add-ons, and videos.  My current PS3 has a 320GB HDD, and it has over 250GB of data on it.  That's going to take a long time to get any replacement PS3 back to where I have mine right now, especially without being able to use the Data Transfer Utility.

In fact, without being able to use the Data Transfer Utility, if I end up having to replace my PS3, I am also going to lose every single one of my game saves, and as one might guess from my trophy list, I have a lot of game saves!

The new 2100A PS3 Slim (45nm CELL/40nm RSX) has been released. It is at  Frys electronics stores now, and should be everywhere else soon.

If you want to try to fix your 60GB PS3 in the best possible manner you should consider having it professionally reballed. It is a much longer lasting repair than having it reflowed.  Knights Gaming Repair does it for $200, this place does it for $90, this guy on eBay does it for $70 (when he offers it)., and apparently gophermods will offer reballing within the next 6 months.

I cannot vouch for any of these places, but a successful reballing will be a longer lasting repair and those tips should help it stay that way...

Message 17 of 535 (1,467 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

May 16, 2010

Ive got a very simple tip that actually helps alot, I did it with my xbox 360, and now my PS3 and it did make a difference, you know the little rubber pads on the bottom of the console? Well...  super glue bigger plastic, rubber or whatever kind of "legs" ill call em, onto the bottom of the console so that it sits higher of the shelf, Ive notciced that the bottom of the PS3 gets hotter than anywhere else because it sits almost flat on the surface it is sitting on, if you can raise it a bit I have noticed a considerable difference in how hot the bottem gets. In my case I just took the "legs" of the bottom of an old shelf stereo I had and glued them on, so now there is about a 1 to 2 inch gap underneath the console that air can flow freely under. I know this sounds stupid when talking about changing the power supply or fan, but for those who dont want to crack into their PS3 this is a small difference that actually does make a difference.

Message 18 of 535 (1,467 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
384 posts

May 16, 2010

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

biggie86205 wrote:

Good write-up! Ive done all that, except the first one. I would be cautious using the 40gig power supply. The 60gig needs more juice than a 40, hence why it has a different power supply.

I definitely recommend upgrading to a 19 blade fan and better thermal paste!

I would disagree. According the the 60GB PS3 manual, power the system consumes maximum of 380 Watts, which is a little less than what the ZSSR5391 & the APS-226 can supply (12V X 32A = 384W). However according to edepot (a little lower on the page), a 60GB PS3 averages only 205W when doing its most demanding application (playing a game). The APS-231 supplies (12V X 23.5A = 282W), much more than enough to do the job.

I would also like to add that the ZSSR5391/APS-226/APS-231 power supplies have exactly the same screw mounting positions and the same number of pins (5) supplying the output power. If the APS-231 power supply wasn't "backwards compatible" with the 20/60/80GB models, I believe Sony would have altered the screw mounting positions and make the the number of output pins different, to avoid incompatibility complications.

Besides I have been testing this out myself for the last two weeks, and it works great

Yeah after reading the link posted above it looks like it will work. My mistake. Ill have to grab one off ebay! You said these are the 40gb power supplies? They are the black plastic ones correct?

Biggie86205
Message 19 of 535 (1,467 Views)
0 Likes