Wastelander
765 posts

Re: 3 tips for a Greener and Cooler-Running Backwards Compatible PS3 system

May 18, 2010

What PSU could I upgrade to?  I have a CECHE 80GB.

Ive redone my thermal past as preventative maintenance as I have had no problems with it.

I used MX-2 thermal compound.

Reduce your use of plastics, oil, and gas.
Message 30 of 535 (361 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

May 18, 2010

weiss27md wrote:

What PSU could I upgrade to?  I have a CECHE 80GB.

Ive redone my thermal past as preventative maintenance as I have had no problems with it.

I used MX-2 thermal compound.

You would "upgrade" to the APS-231 PSU....

Message 31 of 535 (361 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
765 posts

May 18, 2010

Thanks, Anyone know where to get a NEW APS-231 power supply?  Every where I have seen they are used.

Message 32 of 535 (361 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

May 18, 2010

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

potatobreath wrote:

Your explanation doesn't make much sense unless you're telling me the newer power supply is simply much more efficient, welcomehomey. The components in the PS3 are still drawing the same amount of juice from the power supply. How do you account for 100 W of heat though?

Yes the BC PS3s draw the same amount of power, the issue here is how much power the PSUs supply.

The original PSU supply 384W,  the APS-231 supply 282W. Apparently the BC PS3s only draw 205W max. I believe that most of that unneeded power is dissipated as heat. So with those power supplies you have at least 179W of unneeded power with the original PSU, and at least 77W of unneeded power with the APS-231...

I had to brush up on power supply fundamentals, but a power supply works a bit differently. The original PS3 draws 209 W (Crave, CNET) from the wall when gaming. If I assume the power supply is 70% efficient (mediocre) in converting AC to DC, then the components are drawing 146 W of DC and are well under the 400 W limit of the power supply. The power supply isn't pulling 384 W from the wall, providing 146 W to the PS3 and releasing 175 W as heat; it is pulling 209 W from the wall and releasing 63 W as heat. If it was 100 W of heat, I'd expect Sony to put the power brick outside of the unit with a fan or two.

Still, I find it interesting that the newer power supplies are cooler, more efficient but still bolt right in.

Message 33 of 535 (361 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

May 18, 2010

weiss27md wrote:

Thanks, Anyone know where to get a NEW APS-231 power supply?  Every where I have seen they are used.

The APS-231 PSU was made for the discontinued 40GB CECHG01 model. Sony doesn't sell these power supplies separately. So every APS-231 is going to be considered "used"....

Message 34 of 535 (361 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
765 posts

May 18, 2010

Thanks, can they be repaired?

Message 35 of 535 (361 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

May 18, 2010
I guess so. I would think it probably be cheaper and easier just to replace it...
Message 36 of 535 (361 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5743 posts

May 21, 2010

Logical_Dolphin wrote:
I guess so. I would think it probably be cheaper and easier just to replace it...

What games you play with that power supply?

I might pick one of those things up after i get new thermal paste on my 80gb...

How exactly would replacing the power supply help your ps3 last longer tho?

I know that the heat produced is less...but is the heat produced by the power supply really what is causing  the CPU and the GPU to separate from the board? I figured it was the actual chips themselves heating up too much due to the faulty thermal compound. Or does that powersupply on the other side of the motherboard really affect it that much?

Message 37 of 535 (361 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

May 21, 2010

bayport wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

What games you play with that power supply?

I might pick one of those things up after i get new thermal paste on my 80gb...

How exactly would replacing the power supply help your ps3 last longer tho?

I know that the heat produced is less...but is the heat produced by the power supply really what is causing  the CPU and the GPU to separate from the board? I figured it was the actual chips themselves heating up too much due to the faulty thermal compound. Or does that powersupply on the other side of the motherboard really affect it that much?

I'm not sure what you mean by your first question. The APS-231 power supply is compatible with the CECHA01 (60G), CECHB01 (20GB), and CECHE01 (80GB) systems. Basically all the PS3 systems that can play PS2 games.

I do agree that excessive heat that isn't conducted away from the CPU/GPU can cause separation, I also believe that additional heat from the PSU could aggravate the issue.

I think Sony tried to limit the contact points as much as possible between the PSU and the metal shielding around the motherboard, but it is still there at the mounting points. In the BC PS3s, the PSU is mounted above the CELL processor, and some of that heat has to go somewhere.

That is why I think replacing the PSU with a cooler running unit is an additional measure you can take to help prolong your system...

Message 38 of 535 (361 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
186 posts

May 23, 2010
Great post Logical_Dolphin

A lot of great info has come up. One being the power supply output and consumption numbers.
Its my believe that the components inside the 60G power supplies are at fault. We(forum) can juggle the numbers all day, but if the components are of a faulty design. Heat in this case is the enemy. Luckily someone (IMO) at Sony raised the flag and ordered a new PSU design/manufacturer alongwith the new PS3 models. Had the 40G PSU been around at the birth of 60G, the original fat design may still be around.

Remember folks shortly after the PS2 was released, work began on the PS3 model. At lot of things were thrown on the table as to what Sony wanted the PS3 to do. 'Everything' The power supply was responisble for it all. What a taunting task?

So for me, my 60G enjoys his little brother's 40G power supply. He is doing everything and both are running cooler.
Message 39 of 535 (361 Views)
0 Likes