Jul 09 2013
By: kbaxter78 First Son 6 posts

Backwards compatibility for PS3 and PS4

13 replies 507 views Edited Jul 9, 2013

I realize that this has been discussed for what seems like decades but I do have a few questions.  Sony has recognized that customers want physical copies of their software.  I have followed Sony because of their BC and have accummulated a massive library of PS1,2, and 3 games.  In some cases, multiple copies of the same game.  I recognize that it is difficult to make the PS4 support twenty years of gaming through several styles of discs.  I wondered if there was any chance that sony would release a late run of PS3 that supported both PS1 and PS2 games.  I currently have a PS3 and I will be buying a PS4 on the launch date but I would really appreciate (and would not hesitate to purchase) a system that allowed me to play my old titles without having to repurchase them or find the older systems.  A lot of my classic PS2 games are not even available to download.  Even if it was possible to upgrade a current PS3, I would spend some serious cash to have this.  It would not stop me from buying the HD or re-released versions of these games.  When it comes to the classics, you want them all.

Message 1 of 14 (507 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6032 posts

Re: Backwards compatibility for PS3 and PS4

[ Edited ]
Jul 9, 2013

kbaxter78 wrote:

I realize that this has been discussed for what seems like decades but I do have a few questions.  Sony has recognized that customers want physical copies of their software.  I have followed Sony because of their BC and have accummulated a massive library of PS1,2, and 3 games.  In some cases, multiple copies of the same game.  I recognize that it is difficult to make the PS4 support twenty years of gaming through several styles of discs.  I wondered if there was any chance that sony would release a late run of PS3 that supported both PS1 and PS2 games.  I currently have a PS3 and I will be buying a PS4 on the launch date but I would really appreciate (and would not hesitate to purchase) a system that allowed me to play my old titles without having to repurchase them or find the older systems.  A lot of my classic PS2 games are not even available to download.  Even if it was possible to upgrade a current PS3, I would spend some serious cash to have this.  It would not stop me from buying the HD or re-released versions of these games.  When it comes to the classics, you want them all.

Where were you in 2006?

BTW Gaikai will be a streaming service (no price or Plus integration information available at this time) for PS3, PS2, and PS1 games to be playable on the PS4 through "Cloud Gaming" in 2014...

Message 2 of 14 (504 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 9, 2013

Please use paragraph breaks in the future...that hurt my eyes.

PS3 & PS4 are completely different architecture - Cell vs. x86/64, respectively. Backwards compatibility from a hardware perspective (the best solution) would be extremely costly, while software emulation is extremely difficult (even the hackers could only manage to emulate the PS3 at 1FPS). They'd essentially have to install "dev kits" on every PS4.

Sony's "answer" to backwards compatibility is Gaikai - its cloud-gaming service. That is all.

Pray, ask, beg, petition, whine all you want, backwards compatibility is never going to happen.

Message 3 of 14 (492 Views)
Sackboy
494 posts

Jul 9, 2013

Im pretty sure the games you bought digitally on PS3 will be transferred to the Ps4 in a cloud like they said at E3 conference the "Cloud Service". Hope that helps. Smiley Tongue 

Message 4 of 14 (485 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
148 posts

Jul 9, 2013

xClayMeow wrote:

PS3 & PS4 are completely different architecture - Cell vs. x86/64, respectively. Backwards compatibility from a hardware perspective (the best solution) would be extremely costly, while software emulation is extremely difficult (even the hackers could only manage to emulate the PS3 at 1FPS). They'd essentially have to install "dev kits" on every PS4.

Sony's "answer" to backwards compatibility is Gaikai - its cloud-gaming service. That is all.

Pray, ask, beg, petition, whine all you want, backwards compatibility is never going to happen.

I doubt it too, I really doubt it ever will happen, but I'm not sure it's impossible under the PS4's technology. Simply because I think there might be more than we know about that GPU they have. Remember, they said it could run general processing code. The biggest problem I heard people were having pulling the emulation off was the CPU commands because of the asymmetrical processing architecture. I wonder if the General Processing GPU (that apparently, as a General Processing Unit can run some standard code), could have a role in emulation attempts later on. Again, I doubt it, but speculating.

Honestly, I just want a "Virtual Vita Advance" released as an official PS4 app. (ARM Processers I've heard are easier to emulate than Cell, shown by the multiple IPhone and Android emulators for PC.)

Message 5 of 14 (470 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
464 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 9, 2013

I still don't know what the cloud service gaikei thing is. Is it an app that lets you play your PS1,2 and 3 games on the PS4? In other words if I download the app on PS4 I can pop in my No Ni Kuni disc or my Silent Hill 2 (PS2) disc and play. Or is it downloading the games? If that is the case I am sure they will charge per game per download, right? Meaning you have to re buy your games. And if that is the case again than they probably won't charge for gaikei itself. Which would mean since you can't play your physical copies of games and you have to purchase a game for download, it's really not backwards compatible. Downloading a game or streaming a game is not backwards compatible, you have to be able to use your physical discs for it to be literally backwards compatible, right? 

I mean do we consider a PC to be backwards compatible with Nintendo, SNES and other older systems because you can download those games with an emulator? I don't think so, at least I never heard anyone say it. Oh well. Not trying to be a jerk just throwing that out there.

photo giphydgd.gif
"Hey look a PS4 for sale! Quick someone get it before it's sold!!"
Message 6 of 14 (456 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6032 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 9, 2013

CradleOfFish wrote:

I still don't know what the cloud service gaikei thing is. Is it an app that lets you play your PS1,2 and 3 games on the PS4? In other words if I download the app on PS4 I can pop in my No Ni Kuni disc or my Silent Hill 2 (PS2) disc and play. Or is it downloading the games? If that is the case I am sure they will charge per game per download, right? Meaning you have to re buy your games. And if that is the case again than they probably won't charge for gaikei itself. Which would mean since you can't play your physical copies of games and you have to purchase a game for download, it's really not backwards compatible. Downloading a game or streaming a game is not backwards compatible, you have to be able to use your physical discs for it to be literally backwards compatible, right? 

I mean do we consider a PC to be backwards compatible with Nintendo, SNES and other older systems because you can download those games with an emulator? I don't think so, at least I never heard anyone say it. Oh well.

Want a small taste of what Gaikai is going to be?

Do you have a computer, tablet, or smartphone (BlackBerry, Microsoft excluded)?

Well test out the inferior app that tried to beat Gaikai when it was on PC only (before Sony bought them for 380 million) 

Try Onlive, it's free, play some of the trial games, come back here. Then you'll understand what Gaikai is as it will do PS3, PS2, and PS1 games via through cloud gaming services by 2014. It's Sony's solution since the hardware can't emulate nor is the hardware actually there for it to work (no PS3 or PS2 tech inside the PS4, would have brought up the cost of the console too.)

Also Backwards compatibility means being able to view and play a prior product(s) items on a new product made by the same company, doesn't mean it has to be a hard copy or digital, any type of format will do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backward_compatibility

PS4 is mentioned in that wiki link btw, scroll down...

Message 7 of 14 (452 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Jul 9, 2013

Cosmosis_1080P wrote:

xClayMeow wrote:

I doubt it too, I really doubt it ever will happen, but I'm not sure it's impossible under the PS4's technology. Simply because I think there might be more than we know about that GPU they have. Remember, they said it could run general processing code. The biggest problem I heard people were having pulling the emulation off was the CPU commands because of the asymmetrical processing architecture. I wonder if the General Processing GPU (that apparently, as a General Processing Unit can run some standard code), could have a role in emulation attempts later on. Again, I doubt it, but speculating.

Honestly, I just want a "Virtual Vita Advance" released as an official PS4 app. (ARM Processers I've heard are easier to emulate than Cell, shown by the multiple IPhone and Android emulators for PC.)

Still not going to work.  The Cell processor uses a custom instruction set that simply cannot be understood by other processors.  While yes, the GPU can run standard code, the code the Cell Processor runs is as far from "standard" as you can get.

Message 8 of 14 (390 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2599 posts

Jul 10, 2013
Proven many times before, the PS3 is capable of emulating PS2 games just fine, even the slims. (look it up, its VERY true). Sony for some reason, decides its not going to happen, even if its able to.

PS4 is clearly capable of emulating both PS1 and 2 games, but for whatever reason sony wont due it. The obvious answer? Money.

PS1 and 2 classics. If people are forced to buy the game again from the store, sony makes money. If people play their used PS1 or 2 titles from disc, they make no money. Obvious reasons are obvious. I wish sony would reconsider however. Ive got tons of PS2 games id love to play on my PS3 and will never be added to the PS2 classics because they are more of the "Rare" type.
Message 9 of 14 (355 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1392 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 10, 2013

never a shortage of BC threads

Message 10 of 14 (350 Views)
0 Likes