Uncharted Territory
2101 posts

Re: Bad news for Sony...

Jun 10, 2005
Oh noes! Sony has to compete with another company!

Message 11 of 44 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8277 posts

Jun 10, 2005

,Jothom wrote:

,Llama Herder wrote:
The product: Details are still sketchy on Toshiba's HD-DVD recorder, but pricing and availability for its play-only unit have finally been announced. It will be the first on sale to play the HD-DVD format, which the company is promoting as a competitor against Blu-ray to succeed the popular DVD format. The unit will include an HDMI output, naturally, but otherwise little information (including a model number) was available at press time. The available specs include:

• HD-DVD player
  • HDMI output
  • Backward compatible with DVD and CD
The price: The unnamed unit will be available in the fourth quarter of 2005 for a list price of $1,000.

http://www.cnet.com/4520-10602_1-5618766-1.html

Hmm, if a HD-DVD player costs $1,000, I wonder how much a HD-DVD recorder would cost.  I think I'll stick with the blu-ray player that comes with the PS3.  Why do some people think blu-ray recorder doesn't exist.

People said that when DVD decks first came out, and costed about $2k. Now look where the medium is! Just about everyone has a DVD player and at least one DVD movie.

The point is, since HD-DVD and PS3 are only a couple of months apart, HD-DVD player won't drop too much in price when the PS3 is released.  It took a while for DVD player to drop in price from $2000 to $400. 

If PS3 only costs $300-$400 and HD-DVD player still cost more than that, Blu-ray will win for sure.  If HD-DVD player costs $200 when PS3 is released, HD-DVD might win.
Message 12 of 44 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8277 posts

Jun 10, 2005

,FearNo1 wrote:
Blu-ray player costs over $2,000 now. Amazing that Sony is going to put it in PS3...

How much did DVD player cost in 1999?  Sony still included it in the PS2 and sold the PS2 for $300.
Message 13 of 44 (19 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1282 posts

Jun 10, 2005
Hm.. let's analyze this, shall we?
,HD-DVD player: $1000
,Blu-Ray player: approx $350 (maybe as low as $300)
,HD-DVD = PWN3D
,I don't see how this is "bad news" for Sony.
Message 14 of 44 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3003 posts

Jun 10, 2005

,Jedi2016 wrote:
Hm.. let's analyze this, shall we?

HD-DVD player: $1000
Blu-Ray player: approx $350 (maybe as low as $300)

HD-DVD = PWN3D

I don't see how this is "bad news" for Sony.

Hmm, I got my DVD player in early 1998 for 300 bucks(and it wasn't the cheapest available)and they debuted in late 96 early 97 for well over a thousand dollars.  HD-DVD debuts in late 2005, and the PS3 will mostly likely show up in the states late 2006.  I guaranty that an HD-DVD player will be under 500 by mid 2006, and in the neighborhood of 300-400 by the end of it.  Then throw in the fact that HD-DVD movies are supposed to be priced between 20-25 bucks, and blu ray movies will be priced 30-35 bucks.  The lack of a recording standard for HD-DVD was one of the biggest plusses bluray had in the movies segment(as both formats offer plenty of space for HD-DVD movies).,
Message 15 of 44 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
259 posts

Jun 10, 2005
The people at toshiba are dumb as heck (standards and practices).  They need to realize the size needs to be bigger.  In less than 2 years, dvd prices went from $10 for a single blank dvd, to $15 for a 50 blank dvd pack.  The blu-ray will get cheaper to make if it becomes a standard, because it will probably be shiped of to mexico to be made for about a peso per day for the worker.  It will just be expensive for a little.
Message 16 of 44 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
259 posts

Jun 10, 2005
,Llama Herder wrote:
The product: Details are still sketchy on Toshiba's HD-DVD recorder, but pricing and availability for its play-only unit have finally been announced. It will be the first on sale to play the HD-DVD format, which the company is promoting as a competitor against Blu-ray to succeed the popular DVD format. The unit will include an HDMI output, naturally, but otherwise little information (including a model number) was available at press time. The available specs include:

• HD-DVD player
  • HDMI output
  • Backward compatible with DVD and CD
The price: The unnamed unit will be available in the fourth quarter of 2005 for a list price of $1,000.

http://www.cnet.com/4520-10602_1-5618766-1.html

Hmm, if a HD-DVD player costs $1,000, I wonder how much a HD-DVD recorder would cost.  I think I'll stick with the blu-ray player that comes with the PS3.  Why do some people think blu-ray recorder doesn't exist. ,

Blu-ray recorders do exist. how the heck do you think they put data on blu-ray discs.  They currently cost about $2500 for a single 1x recorder because they are manily made for business use and not personal use yet.

From blu-ray.com faqs:
 When will I be able to buy a Blu-ray Disc recorder?

You'll probably have to wait until 2006-2007 for Blu-ray recorders to become commonly available. The driving force behind the development of Blu-ray Disc recorders is the need to record HDTV programming and currently the only country where HDTV is well established is Japan. There's still only a few different Blu-ray Disc recorders available to consumers in Japan, but as you can see in our Blu-ray Recorders section, most well-known consumer electronics companies have their own prototype Blu-ray Disc recorder in development, so we expect to see more Blu-ray recorders on the Japanese market during 2005.

According to Sony of America's senior vice president Mike Fidler, products based on the Blu-ray Disc format are not likely to be available in the United States until late 2005 or early 2006

heres a picture

Message 17 of 44 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3308 posts

Jun 10, 2005
DVD player did not cost over $2000 either. It was nearing the,mature stage. Neither HD-DVD or blue-ray is even close to reaching,mature stage.

Llama Herder wrote:
How much did DVD player cost in 1999?  Sony still included it in the PS2 and sold the PS2 for $300.

Message 18 of 44 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3003 posts

Jun 10, 2005

,trigun0006 wrote:
The people at toshiba are dumb as heck (standards and practices).  They need to realize the size needs to be bigger.  In less than 2 years, dvd prices went from $10 for a single blank dvd, to $15 for a 50 blank dvd pack.  The blu-ray will get cheaper to make if it becomes a standard, because it will probably be shiped of to mexico to be made for about a peso per day for the worker.  It will just be expensive for a little.

In all but the most extreme cases just about every movie should fit onto a single disc with either format...there's no reason to go "bigger" in the movie market.  ,
Message 19 of 44 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9606 posts

Jun 10, 2005
The main thing is that Sony is smart in that they are sticking behind,Blu-ray and by puting a BR player (along with DVD and CD) in the PS3,,thats guarranteeing people who by a PS3 a BR player.  So just like,the PS2 and DVD, PS3 will also offer more bang for the buck.  its,quite smart, and i really dont see how this is bad news for Sony. ,Imagine how many people are going to be getting a PS3 by Christmas,2006.  Thats quite a few BR players right there and by that time,they will be down in price.
Message 20 of 44 (19 Views)
0 Likes