Feb 09 2013
By: G_Locc5000 Lombax Warrior 277 posts

Best Final Fantasy?

14 replies 145 views Edited Feb 9, 2013

i have not played any of the games and the playstation network is having a sale on them i was wondering whats the best final fantasy to start on first?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 15 (145 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1011 posts

Re: Best Final Fantasy?

Feb 9, 2013
Every game has its own storyline. Most people will be suggesting final fantasy vii or final fantasy x. My personal favorite is ff7, but they're all good in their own way.

The original was good for adventure purposes. The story is rather lacking though, but it's good for a challenge.

FF2 was great because it was the first to get rid of the level system and implement a system that made it so that all of your characters were able to use every type of weapon and spell. It was and still is the only game to have a cause and effect themed character development system.

FF3 was good because it was the first game to have the chocobo as well as summoning. It was also the first to have a job system that gave your characters different skills based on what job class they had.

FF4 was the first game to have a really deep storyline in the series. It has a massive cast of characters, yet they made it so that there were never to many characters to keep track of. It was also the first game to have a love story theme.

FF5 was good because it brought back the job system from FF3 but made it so that you were able to take skills from one class and put them on another. Do you want a physical attacker that can cast black magic, that's fine. Do you want to dual-wield staves on your white mage, that's fine too. Mix and match and make it yours.

FF6 is without a doubt one of the best RPGs ever made. It was the first game in the series that had an antagonist that you loved to hate. It is probably the best liked storyline out of all the Final Fantasy games. It was also the first game to have a Tonberry enemy (called a Pug in this game).

FF7 was good because of the storyline, gameplay, introduction of them Limit Break system, characters that you fell in love with, and it was the first RPG to be entirely done in 3D graphics.

FF8 was great because of its amazing storyline and large amount of character customization. It was also the first game to allow you to reach level 100.

FF9 was good because it brought FF back to the original medieval time period. The character development was very well done, and it was a real pleasure to watch each character change and grow as the story progressed.

FF10 was good because of Yuna's summons. It returned to the original turn based battle system instead of the active time battle system. The story was good, but I didn't think that it matched up to the quality of ff7, 8, or 9. It was the first game to have voice actors which drew a lot of attention.

FF10-2 was total garbage. It was extremely feminine, and the characters got to the point of being extremely annoying. It's the only game that I don't suggest you play.

FF11 was the first game in the series that required an Internet connection and was only able to be played online with thousands of other players. The subscription fee does get expensive over time.

FF12 was good for its insanely large amount of character customization. To me, the game was so long and drawn out that it was very difficult to follow, and once I reviewed everything that happened I thought the game was pretty much a political mind **bleep**. It was the first single player game to remove the battle transition and have everything down on the main world screen.

FF13 was a great game that was a first in making it so that you don't have to worry about healing between battles. It was also the first to focus on what happened between the characters instead of what happened around them. A lot of people complain that the level design is extremely linear, but I never had a problem with the level design. They must have only been looking at the walkable area instead of looking at the entire scene. It has the highest quality graphics of all the games to date, and personally this is my second favorite game in the series.

FF13-2 was a direct sequel to FF13. The gameplay is very similar to ff13 except your third character is a monster that you've beaten. This game is good for the DLCs and character development. The story could be a little bit better, but I gotta say that Noel was my favorite for story, but Serah was my favorite for personality and use.

FF14 was good for character customization, extremely massive open world gameplay, exceptional graphics quality for being an mmorpg, and difficulty. The story is okay, but as with all mmorpgs, leaves you wanting more at the end of the day.

For your first game, I'd start with either ff6, 7, or 8. They're all good in their own way except for ff10-2, but those are my suggestions.
My PSN
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 15 (131 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
9997 posts

Feb 9, 2013

kinda of a bad question to ask.

if you've played any modern RPG, the biggest hurdle you're going to need to over come to enjoy FF9 and older would be the antiquated gameplay that will seem very out dated if all you're played are modern RPGs

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 15 (126 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
405 posts

Feb 9, 2013

I like 7, 9, 10, and 12

~REVOLUTION_IS_MY_NAME~
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 15 (105 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5306 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 9, 2013

G_Locc5000 wrote:

i have not played any of the games and the playstation network is having a sale on them i was wondering whats the best final fantasy to start on first?

Many people have opinions about which is the best Final Fantasy game. I will let the market decide which one is the best Final Fantasy game. "Final Fantasy 7" is the best Final Fantasy game because it sold the most copies. The market has spoken.

Best selling Square-Enix games. Sales data from List of best-selling video games (Wikipedia)

1. Final Fantasy VII (10 million, includes Final Fantasy VII International)

2. Final Fantasy VIII (8.15 million till 31 march 2003)

3. Final Fantasy X (8.05 million)

4. Final Fantasy XIII (6.71 million, Includes ps3&360 versions)

5. Final Fantasy XII (5.6 million approximately: 2.4 million in Japan, 1.7 million in US, 1.1 million in Europe; 5.2 million shipped)

1253527972_money.gif

Here's symbols to copy & paste into your friends list comment. ℡ № ª
⇒⇔ ¹ ² ³ ® ™ ‰ © ½ ¼ ¾ ←↑→↓ψ † ‡ ※♪♭♯★ ☆▲▼△▽◆ ◇ ○ ◎ ● ■ □ 回 〓 √∞♂♀ 웃 유
Ω ①②③④⑤⑥⑦⑧⑨⑩⑪⑫⑬⑭⑮⑯⑰⑱⑲⑳ ㎎ ㎏ ㎜ ㎝ ㎞ ㎡ ㏄ ≒ Æ æ η α β ε α₩£ ≡ » « ¶ † εïз ∵
∴ #’〈 〉《 》「」『 』【 】〔 〕ミ 彡 ッ シ!#@ $ %
&()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz[\
]^_`{|}~¢£ㄻ ㄼ ㄽ ㄾ ㄿ ㅁ ㅂ ㅄ ㅅ ㅆ ㅇ ㅈ ㅊ ㅋ ㅌ ㅍ ㅎㄱ 을 ㄺ卍∃⊥ ∀ Ξ Σ Π 文 ≒≠ ≡≦
≧ⅠⅡⅢ Ⅳ Ⅴ Ⅵ Ⅶ Ⅷ Ⅸ Ⅹ ⅰ ⅱ ⅲ ⅳ ⅴ ⅵ ⅶ ⅷ ⅸ ⅹ¬ ̄ ±∂∩∀∇∠∧∨∩∪∫∬⊂⊃⊥⊿⌒─│┌┐└┘├┤┬┴┼─
━│┃┌┏ ┐┓└┗ ┘┛├┝┠┣ ┤┥┨┫┬ ┯ ┰ ┳ ┴ ┷ ┸ ┻ ┼ ┿ ╂ ╋
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 15 (100 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
10747 posts

Feb 9, 2013

Each of the Final Fantasy games on sale are indeed great in their own way. Although you can't go wrong with either of them, Final Fantasy VIII is the single game I'd vouch for most. Best story, best characters, best gameplay... these sorts of factors make Final Fantasy VIII a winning triumph. Final Fantasy Tactics itself is another very good game game, tough as it may be.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 15 (88 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
572 posts

Feb 9, 2013

FF5 was my favorite of the og games. it was the last one where you could actually create your own characters. all the games that followed involved pre-programed characters that already had their classes and abilities defined for them. as far as the "modern" games are concerned i myself am still playing thru FF10 and havnt played any of the ones that came after even though i own 10.2,11 and 12.

LONG LIVE CECHA01!!!
the absolute pinnacle of console video gaming!
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 15 (87 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
52 posts

Feb 9, 2013

I suggest you to play either FF III, VI, VII, VIII, or IX. The best one that I ever played so far is XII.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 15 (83 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
841 posts

Feb 9, 2013

I just bought FF: Origins, FF5, FF6, FF8, FF9.  Working on FF2 (US)) on my old SNES.  I Have FF (NES) on the Wii and will likely go back to that to finish some day.  Thats a good 500 hours of gameplay right there.  Its hard for me to pick just one because I've been a huge fan since I was a kid but Final Fantasy 3 (FF6 on the PS store) is my favorite.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 15 (72 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
889 posts

Feb 9, 2013

It's really hard to say which game is the definitive best. It's easier to ask what someone's favourite game is and why instead.

A previous poster gave descriptions for the series so I'll just suggest a game without listing the reason. Based on my current mood I would vote for FFIX. But if you have a PSP or Vita check out FFIV Complete Collection.

photo wizard_zps4173ab5c.png
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 15 (70 Views)
0 Likes