Feb 05 2014
By: iG_Malk First Son 1 posts

Best monitor for PS4???

[ Edited ]
16 replies 8918 views Edited Feb 5, 2014

I need help in choosing a monitor for the ps4 I'm about to get. I started reading up on the techa few months ago, so i have an idea what I'm looking for. Just can't make up my mind. i know the PS4 only runs 60fps and that only some games display in 1080p. I play a lot ofshooters and CoD is probably going to be my most played game so i know i need to look for low response tmes and low input lag. Response time is the bigger issue in my opinion. The issue i keep running into is I'm also a bug fan of rpg's and skyrim is another big favorite, so i also have to watch for good image and color quality. I'm thinking an ah-ips monitor anywhere from 23-34" . My budget caps around $300 including shipping. Id also like to hear suggestions and if anyone thinks an HDTV or plasma monitor might be better, please state why. Also if i get a monitor id like to find one with built in speakers, as i dont own a pc and it will strictly be for console use. Currently iv got my eyes on the Asus mx279h, but i know its been out for awhile now and there could be a better option by now. My PSN ID is RiZe_Tragiic if anyone wants to shoot me a friend request. If anyone reads this and feels they've got the perfect idea. 

Post edited due to personal information

<< Meowstro Edit: I've updated your thread label. More information about Labels Best Practices in PS General. >>

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 17 (8,918 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3306 posts

Re: Best monitor for PS4???

Feb 5, 2014
34 inches is technically a tv not monitor.... And even lower than that is tv.
No need to put your number in a forums you will receive replies.
Search amazon and google. Im sure you will find something that fits your needs.
Image and video hosting by TinyPicHEAVY WEAPONS GUYImage and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 17 (8,916 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
874 posts

Feb 5, 2014

HWGuy14 wrote:

i always thought that what determined if it was a tv is whether or not it Had a Tuner in it?

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 17 (8,889 Views)
Sackboy
424 posts

Feb 5, 2014
You know honestly you failry common brand names i think response time and input lag are out the window now. Maybe someone can confirm but do they still make popular tv rbands that suffer input lag and response times?

I had bought a 32 inch tv probably 7 years ago, and at that time i had to observe all those numbers but now it seems all that has been taken care of with the way of technology.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 17 (8,881 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3776 posts

Feb 5, 2014

In the past I read that a 27" monitor was the best for users when playing shooters. It was the size that allowed your eyes to be able to pick up objects on the screen with minimal movement.

I have been planning my man cave and have been debating whether I want to do 4 24" monitors and a 40-42" TV OR 4 27" monitors.

To give you an idea I am thinking 3 monitors for the rig across then the 4th on top of the middle monitor for the PS3/PS4.

I have been looking at the BenQ monitors, have really good reviews and I like the 22" monitors that I bought for the office. Really good quality.

I am also looking at ASUS monitors, I have purchased a few of those for the office and I am very happy with those too.

BenQ

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8183825&sku=B145-2710

ASUS

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5552036&sku=A466-2701

Now I have a little time before I purchase so I am still looking. Preferably I would like something with minimal edging so the but up together nicely and look seamless. So far LG and Samsung are the only ones that I have seen with that type of feature.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/

>
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 17 (8,869 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7499 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 5, 2014

VIPER-Spark wrote:
 Maybe someone can confirm but do they still make popular tv brands that suffer [from poor] input lag and response times?

Yes.

http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

Popular TV manufacturers still make laggy TVs. Ironically, it's the high-end expensive ones are very laggy. The lower end ones don't have much lag.

The reason for this is that the manufacturers load up the TVs with image enhancements that make the picture look nice in the showroom and make the image look nice and smooth for you to buy. Unfortunately, all these image enhancements and extra features cause extra input lag that makes playing games worse.

This is why I play on a barebones 42" Magnavox. The input lag on that one is imperceptible (for me) because there's no image enhancements to give it lag. :smileytongue:

FIVE YEARS ON PLAYSTATION FORUMS

YOUTUBE REVIEWS ~ TROPHIES ~ GAMING YOUTUBE ~ LITTLEBIGPLANET

Bitcoin is nice: 16SVoaaAfWtywpQ9GDqqzfoyGvt21XCB6M
Dogecoin is nice too: DU6DPv41zfqbSwvFz8LKYhVcgLsX85B3My
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 17 (8,861 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
122 posts

Feb 5, 2014
I picked up a GL2450HM Benq from Amazon, very inexpensive for the picture quality and response time, would definitely recommend!
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 17 (8,853 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7992 posts

Feb 5, 2014

HWGuy14 wrote:

Size has nothing to do with classifying a tv or monitor.

If it has tuners for television broadcasts then its a tv.

No tuners, its a monitor.

In this day and age I see almost no use for a TV, as unless you decode over the air sources, your set top box will do everything and all your monitor needs to do is display.

Hawkfan267 wrote:
Seriously, there's just certain things that we must accept about the PS4. In time, it may get better, who knows.

dulun18 wrote:
**honestly if you still have your PS3.. and lot of games to go through.. there's no reason to jump onto the PS4 bandwagon just yet...
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 17 (8,838 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7992 posts

Feb 5, 2014

iG_Malk wrote:

I need help in choosing a monitor for the ps4 I'm about to get. I started reading up on the techa few months ago, so i have an idea what I'm looking for. Just can't make up my mind. i know the PS4 only runs 60fps and that only some games display in 1080p. I play a lot ofshooters and CoD is probably going to be my most played game so i know i need to look for low response tmes and low input lag. Response time is the bigger issue in my opinion. The issue i keep running into is I'm also a bug fan of rpg's and skyrim is another big favorite, so i also have to watch for good image and color quality. I'm thinking an ah-ips monitor anywhere from 23-34" . My budget caps around $300 including shipping. Id also like to hear suggestions and if anyone thinks an HDTV or plasma monitor might be better, please state why. Also if i get a monitor id like to find one with built in speakers, as i dont own a pc and it will strictly be for console use. Currently iv got my eyes on the Asus mx279h, but i know its been out for awhile now and there could be a better option by now. My PSN ID is RiZe_Tragiic if anyone wants to shoot me a friend request. If anyone reads this and feels they've got the perfect idea. 

Post edited due to personal information

<< Meowstro Edit: I've updated your thread label. More information about Labels Best Practices in PS General. >>

You know the PS4 only runs at 60FPS?   I guess you never intend to watch blurays on it then?

Even the PS3 can output at 120fps for 3D.

Even a standard 2D bluray outputs at 24FPS.  So a monitor with a cap at 60FPs will introduce what is called judder because you can not properly display 24p at 60hz.

You would want at least 120FPS monitor to properly display 24p.

But movies want to increase this rate.

The Hobbit was 48FPS in theaters, but 24FPS on Bluray because of the limitation of peoples tv's.

The next Avatar movie is being shot in 60FPS 3D, I expect this means per eye.

The world is changing, the PS4 will change with it, dont get stuck with outdated tech in a yr.

When I bought my tv way back in 2007 I made sure it had tech which wasnt wide spread at the time.  Over the years everyone else caught up to it and the features became enabled one after another.

As an example I didnt even start using it for 3D for about 3 yrs.

People said you cant buy future proof, but here we are 7 yrs later and my tv is still up to date feature wise.

Hawkfan267 wrote:
Seriously, there's just certain things that we must accept about the PS4. In time, it may get better, who knows.

dulun18 wrote:
**honestly if you still have your PS3.. and lot of games to go through.. there's no reason to jump onto the PS4 bandwagon just yet...
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 17 (8,835 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
14994 posts

Feb 5, 2014

Brink-2-Chaos wrote:

HWGuy14 wrote:

i always thought that what determined if it was a tv is whether or not it Had a Tuner in it?

Not true. 

When HDTvs first rolled out, they did not have a tuner built in, some they were a separate attachment. 

Most TVs nowadays don't even come with TV tuners, again, because most people who watch TV have a separate cable box connected to TV via HDMI anyway. 

Plus, built in TV tuners on TVs suck anyway. 

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 17 (8,815 Views)
0 Likes