Splicer
81 posts

Re: Beyond: Two Souls 73 out of 100 score?

Oct 10, 2013
tbh still new to playstation lol. so far love tlou and looking forward to giving this game a try. Real impressed with Sony exclusives thus far
Message 11 of 36 (233 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
328 posts

Oct 10, 2013
I remember people talking about how amazing Bioshock Infinite was. They were already calling it game of the year. I played it once, thought it was okay, then sold it to a local game store. I like reading reviews for correlations on matters, but I try not to hold too much weight on their words. I'm also re-learning that lesson with Wonderful 101.
Message 12 of 36 (213 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
13734 posts

Oct 11, 2013

Okay I've finished it now. I'm going to do this now without giving the story away.

So unlike most reviewers I can now legitimately pass judgement.

The gameplay is basically the same as Heavy Rain except adding the ability to control Aiden. So yeah camera still makes you walk backwards sometimes. Doesn't break the game at all though.

Story is without any doubt in my mind the most masterfully written piece I've ever come across in a video game. It's thought provoking, confusing but sticking with it yeilds the rewards to the confusion, much like you'd stick with the matrix even though it was confusing. It explains itself throughout the game. This will depend on attention spans quite heavily. If you are smart you can piece together the puzzle, I'm not even convinced you have to be that smart either, maybe just not complaining when it makes no sense would be fine.

I didn't cry when The Matrix made no sense and by the end I understood it perfectly.

The game itself much like Indigo Prophecv - IGN got something right.

I didn't see this in the hour I played at a friends house but I found more moments where I was legitimately creeped out than I have since Resident Evil Remake. It's not all boo's though It's thought provoking, Do I really want to do this kind of thing creepy concepts. Very well done. Maybe I'm easy to creep out? I don't know, but I could give a list of apparent scary games which I've not even been slightly bothered by. No that does not include the outright action fests Resident Evil 4/5 or 6.

I've got all the exclusives for this year and this one. I don't know how it's getting low scores. I figured low attention spans and It would appear I'm right after playing it all. I get it. Not everyone can be smart enough or have the paitience to piece together information to form the story.

Is it perfect? No. Camera issues from Heavy Rain are not fixed nor even attempted to be fixed. It's worthy of a 9.0 though, which is the exact score I would have given Heavy Rain. Even my beloved Quantic Dream don't get a free pass on these camera issues.

This much like other Quantic Dream games is interactive drama at it's finest. I understand reviews opinions that state they don't like this, but if you don't like it, don't play it and you'll never have to write that bad review for something you had no interest in anyway.

Low scores just really prove that what a reviewer does these days is play for a set amount of time and give up if it's not going their way. That's not how you review something. To at least qualify to review you should finish the game or have an invested interest in the game genre it's in.

One mini spoiler, which isn't really that huge or game destroying. I'm not convinced it's even really a spoiler, but click at your own risk.

Spoiler
At some point it explains why it works in certain orders and it makes perfect sense.

So in context, if you enjoy a well crafted story and can actually wait for it to come together then this game is absolutely perfect.

However

If you are more of the "Give me my guns and cars now" style gamer. probably best sticking to the same old for you.

Message 13 of 36 (200 Views)
PlayStation MVP
5472 posts

Oct 11, 2013

Aureilia wrote:
A masterful review.

Thank you for making it clear, in a balanced tone, what this game is all about.  Combine that with your previous admission that you went into this expecting to not like the game, and you have, probably, the best possible piece I've yet seen on Beyond.  Thank you.

Grindhead_Jim

Message 14 of 36 (196 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11231 posts

Oct 11, 2013
Don't trust reviews. Ever.

Message 15 of 36 (187 Views)
PlayStation MVP
5472 posts

Oct 11, 2013

renatabls wrote:
Don't trust reviews. Ever.

I trust the opinion of people I respect, which could be considered a review,e ven if they're just telling me what they do or don't like.  Once it goes through a keyboard, is that the point that makes it untrustworthy?

Grindhead_Jim

Message 16 of 36 (182 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11823 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 11, 2013

A video game’s review score doesn’t mean much to me. If you think you might enjoy a video game then you should probably pick it up even if someone gives it a relatively low review score. Some of my favorite video games have received lower review scores than I expected and this hasn’t bothered me too much. After all, reviews can be full of opinions and subjective statements. You probably know more about what you like than someone else...

Twitter: @Sweet13Poison | YouTube: Sweetest13Poison

Message 17 of 36 (173 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3761 posts

Oct 11, 2013

SweetPoison13 wrote:

A video game’s review score doesn’t mean much to me. If you think you might enjoy a video game then you should probably pick it up even if someone gives it a relatively low review score. Some of my favorite video games have received lower review scores than I expected and this hasn’t bothered me too much. After all, reviews can be full of opinions and subjective statements. You probably know more about what you like than someone else...

Yep your write don't listen to reviewers. In today's world most of them have no clue how to properly review a game in the first place.

Message 18 of 36 (157 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
14077 posts

Oct 11, 2013

I trust a few reviewers, but I typically read a few of them. I want to know the issues and see how multiple perspectives approach them in the score. For example, I found the Polygon review of The Last of Us to be nitpicky and just craving page views. And I spotted it easily when I read 4 other reviews that never even mentioned the same "problems"

Beyond is interesting. That is all I can say. I feel I will get it if comes to Gaikai.

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 19 of 36 (149 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3761 posts

Oct 11, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

I trust a few reviewers, but I typically read a few of them. I want to know the issues and see how multiple perspectives approach them in the score. For example, I found the Polygon review of The Last of Us to be nitpicky and just craving page views. And I spotted it easily when I read 4 other reviews that never even mentioned the same "problems"

Beyond is interesting. That is all I can say. I feel I will get it if comes to Gaikai.

Well that's because Polygon is owned by microsoft and is full of their fanboy reviewers. Don't expect anything Sony to do good on that site.

Message 20 of 36 (144 Views)
0 Likes