Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 29 2013
By: UA-Chasing-14 First Son 4 posts

CECHE01 question

6 replies 74 views Edited Mar 29, 2013

I have purchased one of these consoles off of eBay today and was wondering how the software based backward compatibility worked.  It was listed as an 60GB console, but when I asked the seller what the model number was for verification they said it was CECHE01. 

My question is if it is not the original 80GB HDD that came with the system, will it still play the PS2 games?  I am unclear if the software based BC is on the HDD or somewhere else.  Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 7 (74 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1093 posts

Re: CECHE01 question

[ Edited ]
Mar 29, 2013

You do have an original PS3 with backwards compatibility. You must download and install the PS2 system software from the PSN store. You may have to do a search for it, since it probably isn't listed anymore, but it still should be there. Also the HDD does not matter, what matters is the system itself since you could still upgrade the HDD with a larger capacity drive and still have B/C.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 7 (69 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Mar 29, 2013
Thanks for the quick response. I thought the "PS2 system software" on the PS Store was for games that required the HDD like Final Fantasy? I am confused now.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 7 (61 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1093 posts

Mar 29, 2013

No, that software allows you to play PS2 games on the original PS3's, but only on the first wave of them. Just dowload it from the store, install and enjoy your PS2 games. I envy you because my original PS3 died and I still have quite a few PS2 games that I can't play. But on the bright side I still own a PS2.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 7 (57 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
24405 posts

Mar 29, 2013

Asphaltum wrote:

No, that software allows you to play PS2 games on the original PS3's, but only on the first wave of them. Just dowload it from the store, install and enjoy your PS2 games. I envy you because my original PS3 died and I still have quite a few PS2 games that I can't play. But on the bright side I still own a PS2.

Again, not true and this is how this misinformation keeps perpetuating itself. The System Data allows you to use the hard drive on consoles that already have backward compatibility with PS2 games, and lets titles that utilize the hard drive that have that capability.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 7 (52 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1093 posts

Mar 29, 2013

Sorry about that, my mistake. Still he has an original PS3 so he should have no problem playing PS2 games.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 7 (50 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Mar 29, 2013
Great info guys. Thanks very much for the help.
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 7 (46 Views)
0 Likes