Feb 17 2014
By: KATILA10 Splicer 77 posts

Can my PS4 get a virus?

[ Edited ]
41 replies 780 views Edited Feb 17, 2014

Any chance to catch virus on my ps4 ?

edited: updated title and changed label. For more information on labels, please see this post: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/Labels-Best-Practices-in-PS-General/td-p/...

Message 1 of 42 (780 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12565 posts

Re: Virus on PS4 yes or no

Feb 17, 2014

Unless someone specifically designed a virus for a PS4, no.

Which I don't think anyone would bother to do.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 2 of 42 (776 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
77 posts

Feb 17, 2014

Aha , i just asking because i have huge ps3 bugs , freezing to many , my ps3 cant rebuild HDD always stuck on 18% and i think some kind of Virus i dont know.I post this to see if anyone know something about virus on PlayStation system.

Message 3 of 42 (765 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1954 posts

Feb 17, 2014

glaciusx25 wrote:

i dunno, they seemed to try to hard to make PS4 like a computer, and with the social media stuff that just opens a lot of back doors hackers can use. i just hope Sony thought of this for you guys otherwise they will get in.

Message 4 of 42 (759 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
77 posts

Feb 17, 2014

I really hope PlayStation to be virgin  all life , hehe without catching virus

Message 5 of 42 (754 Views)
MVP Support
12565 posts

Feb 17, 2014

VorxDargo wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

i dunno, they seemed to try to hard to make PS4 like a computer, and with the social media stuff that just opens a lot of back doors hackers can use. i just hope Sony thought of this for you guys otherwise they will get in.

The components may be PC, but the OS is proprietary.

Why do Macs get so few viruses compared to PCs? Because the majority of viruses are designed for Windows OS (since it's the most popular OS out there).

So though the internal hardware of the PS4 is similar to PCs, the software is not, and viruses must be programmed to target specific software. Not hardware.

Message 6 of 42 (747 Views)
Lombax Warrior
103 posts

Feb 17, 2014

KATILA10 wrote:

Aha , i just asking because i have huge ps3 bugs , freezing to many , my ps3 cant rebuild HDD always stuck on 18% and i think some kind of Virus i dont know.I post this to see if anyone know something about virus on PlayStation system.

Its not a virus.

Its very likely that your HDD in the PS3 is simply worn out and causing data corruption. It may have some bad data sectors that can prevent it from the "Rebuild Database" option to fully complete.

replacing the hdd will fix the issue.

No one makes viruses for consoles because..... there isn't any actual information WORTH someones time stealing or destroying on a console.

Message 7 of 42 (724 Views)
Lombax Warrior
151 posts

Re: Can my PS4 get a virus?

[ Edited ]
Feb 17, 2014

If anything I would say it's much higher of a chance of an Xbone to get a virus since it runs that awful Windows 8. Not that Windows 8 is specific to being prone to viruses, Windows in general is. W8 is just plain awful. 

Message 8 of 42 (707 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1954 posts

Feb 17, 2014

i hope your right, i personally don't like and won't be getting a PS4 but for you guys taht have and like it. i really hope it doesn't happen.

Message 9 of 42 (697 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
103 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 17, 2014

VorxDargo wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

And the ONLY information any "hacker" would obtain from a social media account, is your full name... maybe a cell-phone number.... maybe your home address..... maybe nothing at all...... the only information they would get, is whatever you OPENLY enter into the social account.

Are you not that intelligent to undestand this?

Besides.... running a simple API doesn't actually have any "backdoor" to "hackers"..... Im not even sure you know what the term actually means. You might just be referring to "script kiddies" who don't even know a thing about actual hacking.

I use hack/hackers in quotation because I use the term lightly since idiots are too quick to assume they were the target of "hacking" and not because they are stupid.

I used to run the website portion of a newspaper. I was the one who implemented the Facebook and Twitter API's to enable commenting on news articles and to use on the papers' forum.....
I also happen to have a Computer Science degree, with a primary focus in IT Administration services as a Tier 3 technician and hardware/software architect.
There is NOTHING that a hacker is going to obtain from compromising a social media account tied to a console running its API.

They are two completely separate networks. Your PSN account is not going to be "hacked" simply because your facebook or twitter account is hacked, unless you're stupid enough to actually share your PSN login information with someone else.
And the same goes in the opposite direction. The ONLY commonality between them, is the fact that YOUR NAME is connected to both. They don't even have to have the same email address.

When you learn the exact function of an API, and understand how to code.... you will know WHY what you said and insinute is wrong.

Message 10 of 42 (696 Views)