Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Uncharted Territory
1393 posts

Re: Virus on PS4 yes or no

[ Edited ]
Feb 17, 2014

ColonelFenris wrote:

And the ONLY information any "hacker" would obtain from a social media account, is your full name... maybe a cell-phone number.... maybe your home address..... maybe nothing at all...... the only information they would get, is whatever you OPENLY enter into the social account.

Are you not that intelligent to undestand this?

Besides.... running a simple API doesn't actually have any "backdoor" to "hackers"..... Im not even sure you know what the term actually means. You might just be referring to "script kiddies" who don't even know a thing about actual hacking.

I use hack/hackers in quotation because I use the term lightly since idiots are too quick to assume they were the target of "hacking" and not because they are stupid.

I used to run the website portion of a newspaper. I was the one who implemented the Facebook and Twitter API's to enable commenting on news articles and to use on the papers' forum.....
I also happen to have a Computer Science degree, with a primary focus in IT Administration services as a Tier 3 technician and hardware/software architect.
There is NOTHING that a hacker is going to obtain from compromising a social media account tied to a console running its API.

They are two completely separate networks. Your PSN account is not going to be "hacked" simply because your facebook or twitter account is hacked, unless you're stupid enough to actually share your PSN login information with someone else.
And the same goes in the opposite direction. The ONLY commonality between them, is the fact that YOUR NAME is connected to both.

When you learn the exact function of an API, and understand how to code.... you will know WHY what you said and insinute is wrong.

why do people on these forums feel the need to be complete A-holes? seriously we're having a clean discussion here and then this.. i swear its like these people just wait for a post to do this in..

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 42 (170 Views)
PlayStation MVP
14187 posts

Feb 17, 2014

VorxDargo wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

Unless someone specifically designed a virus for a PS4, no.

Which I don't think anyone would bother to do.

i dunno, they seemed to try to hard to make PS4 like a computer, and with the social media stuff that just opens a lot of back doors hackers can use. i just hope Sony thought of this for you guys otherwise they will get in.

Sharing to your own facebook account and streaming to twitch doesn't open any "backdoors"

Setzaroth signature

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 42 (166 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
103 posts

Re: Can my PS4 get a virus?

Feb 17, 2014

HenryDJP wrote:

If anything I would say it's much higher of a chance of an Xbone to get a virus since it runs that awful Windows 8. Not that Windows 8 is specific to being prone to viruses, Windows in general is. W8 is just plain awful. 

Actually.....

The only thing that is common with Xbox One and Windows 8.... is the Kernel.

Nothing else.

Windows 8 actually has very few actual viruses, but since when has ANY Windows operating system NOT have viruses?
Do you know how to prevent them? Make sure you have a good Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware program and schedule it to scan on a weekly basis. Even Window's own Security Essential's software does a good job at preventing malware and virus infections...

Don't be ignorant.

There are also Viruses on Mac(yes, Mac's get them, who ever told you they don't is a fool), Linux, Unix/GNU...... NO SYSTEM is ever "virus free".....

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 42 (161 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
77 posts

Feb 17, 2014

Yeah your professional  , thanks for the information 

Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 42 (158 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1393 posts

Feb 17, 2014

everything has back doors, thats why PSN was hacked on PS3. there is always a back door to anything online and hackers who are determined enough will find them, again i hope it doesn't happen for you guys but hackers will always try.

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 42 (158 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7459 posts

Feb 17, 2014

VorxDargo wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

Unless someone specifically designed a virus for a PS4, no.

Which I don't think anyone would bother to do.

i dunno, they seemed to try to hard to make PS4 like a computer, and with the social media stuff that just opens a lot of back doors hackers can use. i just hope Sony thought of this for you guys otherwise they will get in.

Viruses are made more toward the operating system the device is on than the system. A hacker would have to know how to write for the actual OS and menu system we use. also the hacker would have to find a way to get  all the bypasses that are set in place to launch said viruses. PS$ may media stream but is not A PC by any means. We generly launch the viruses on the PC buy running its file. With consoles unless there hacked or jail broken only the System lets you run very specific set of files. Generely the lauhc files for games and thats it. So at the moment there are 0 viruses for the PS4 unles you hack or jail brake your system m and run any files that is nto designed to run on the PS4.

Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 42 (156 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11610 posts

Feb 17, 2014

VorxDargo wrote:

everything has back doors, thats why PSN was hacked on PS3. there is always a back door to anything online and hackers who are determined enough will find them, again i hope it doesn't happen for you guys but hackers will always try.

While that's true, the point is, Facebook/Twitter/Social Media integration isn't one of those back doors.

Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 42 (151 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7459 posts

Feb 17, 2014

VorxDargo wrote:

i hope your right, i personally don't like and won't be getting a PS4 but for you guys taht have and like it. i really hope it doesn't happen.

It wont. As I said and others. viruses are softeare that causes damamge. you cant just feed any peiece of software to anything and expect it to wrun. The virus gas to be made to run on the PS4 UI first of all. Secnd of all. They have to find a way to make it run and by pass all of the security on the system. Generlly only things that can do that is hacked consoles cause it will let you try to ruin anything. third part is the system owener/user has to run said files. We cant do that at all unless its actually part of agame again unless its a hacked or jail broken console.

Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 42 (148 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1393 posts

Feb 17, 2014

Black0Panther wrote:

Viruses are made more toward the operating system the device is on than the system. A hacker would have to know how to write for the actual OS and menu system we use. also the hacker would have to find a way to get  all the bypasses that are set in place to launch said viruses. PS$ may media stream but is not A PC by any means. We generly launch the viruses on the PC buy running its file. With consoles unless there hacked or jail broken only the System lets you run very specific set of files. Generely the lauhc files for games and thats it. So at the moment there are 0 viruses for the PS4 unles you hack or jail brake your system m and run any files that is nto designed to run on the PS4.

that does make sense a game called White Knight suffered from something like this, in a way it was like a virus but in another it wasn't. basically people just lost select system data, not all just selected ones like games or a movie file. oh man people were ticked and for good reasons.

anyway like i said they will try to find a way and i hope Sony gives you guys an update that helps with this. one of Sony's claims was PS4 was more sacure then PS3 after all.

Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 42 (148 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7459 posts

Feb 17, 2014

VorxDargo wrote:

ColonelFenris wrote:

And the ONLY information any "hacker" would obtain from a social media account, is your full name... maybe a cell-phone number.... maybe your home address..... maybe nothing at all...... the only information they would get, is whatever you OPENLY enter into the social account.

Are you not that intelligent to undestand this?

Besides.... running a simple API doesn't actually have any "backdoor" to "hackers"..... Im not even sure you know what the term actually means. You might just be referring to "script kiddies" who don't even know a thing about actual hacking.

I use hack/hackers in quotation because I use the term lightly since idiots are too quick to assume they were the target of "hacking" and not because they are stupid.

I used to run the website portion of a newspaper. I was the one who implemented the Facebook and Twitter API's to enable commenting on news articles and to use on the papers' forum.....
I also happen to have a Computer Science degree, with a primary focus in IT Administration services as a Tier 3 technician and hardware/software architect.
There is NOTHING that a hacker is going to obtain from compromising a social media account tied to a console running its API.

They are two completely separate networks. Your PSN account is not going to be "hacked" simply because your facebook or twitter account is hacked, unless you're stupid enough to actually share your PSN login information with someone else.
And the same goes in the opposite direction. The ONLY commonality between them, is the fact that YOUR NAME is connected to both.

When you learn the exact function of an API, and understand how to code.... you will know WHY what you said and insinute is wrong.

why do people on these forums feel the need to be complete A-holes? seriously we're having a clean discussion here and then this.. i swear its like these people just wait for a post to do this in..

Cause you like to jump on peopele that dont agree with your feelings.  in other threads. People see this and well arent very nice.

Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 42 (143 Views)
0 Likes