Splicer
54 posts

Re: Can you add a password to your PS3's user?

May 7, 2013
Yeah they should add it
Message 21 of 28 (617 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4170 posts

May 8, 2013

I wish you could.

But sadly you cannot. Smiley Sad

Message 22 of 28 (608 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

May 16, 2013

HorrorGod wrote:

noface_83 wrote:

Just bought my PS3, update to latest version, and the last reply is Feb, but still no response from Sony Ent. about this usefull feature. Why should create multiple user if we can't protect by password and set each user parental control. I don't want my niece play my 18+ and Mature ESRB game (their parent will blame me for their behavior). I hope Sony consider this as important feature for next update, we need protect our kids and children.

Go here. See if someone created an idea for it. If so, vote on it.

Maybe Sony will add this feature on the PS4.

In the meantime, I would just hide your controller(s) whenever your young niece is around.

Just because Sony does not have a password lock on user accounts, doesn't mean you can't find other ways to protect the kids and children. Smiley Happy

Thanks for the link, I hope it's not on new PS4 only, I thought they can do this on firmware update. Multiple users with password can be use with specific parental control settings. Have users with password can avoid several things, like avoid children being play the game that they not suppose to, avoid brother sister cat fight for "who mess around with my save game", etc.

Well it's also just part of my curiosity, why sony create multiple users system where any user can enter other user account. If any can enter whenever they like, then why create multiple users system. Man LOL

Message 23 of 28 (600 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

May 19, 2013

noface_83 wrote:

Well it's also just part of my curiosity, why sony create multiple users system where any user can enter other user account. If any can enter whenever they like, then why create multiple users system. Man LOL

I have always though the PS3 Multiple Profile system was quite simply to separate your player scores and game profiles.  I know I would not want friends and family members to be playing my profile and effecting my gameplay stats, scores and such.

As the complexity of video games evolved into the Memory Card era, games with high levels of progression like Gran Turismo for example, could be severely changed by others playing your profile. (e.g. car setups)  Having separate user profiles resolves this completely.

However, I would really like to have password option for each profile on the PS3.  In the past, with Memory Card based consoles, I always resolved this by issuing memory cards to family, never leaving my own in the consoles, and having extras for friends basically.

On the PS3, I suppose the only way to do this Parental Passwords.

I came back to this thread from some time back to see if this had yet been "corrected" as it is my opinion lacking this option is very unwise.  As a software engineer, from a programming standpoint, it is a simple add really,  BUT... think of how many people would forget their password and complain to Sony about it though.  Then Sony would have to have some sort of Administrator account on the console that could reset the forgotten passwords, then the Admin account would need a password.  Then when that password gets forgotten etc etc.  From Sony's perspective, it is likely best not to bother.  More people would likely forget their passwords than would get their account used on purpose or in error.

Just my view of the matter.

TheMrBlackCat

Message 24 of 28 (592 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18773 posts

May 19, 2013

Psych_G wrote:
I really want to add a password to my user! My brother won't stop using it to play games and I'm worried that he may mess up my saved games or my themes. I'm sick of him never using his own user for anything!

As it has already been mentioned this is not possible on the PS3.

This is a feature I've always wanted for the PS3. I hope to see such feature realized on the PS4.

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 25 of 28 (588 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

May 19, 2013

I don't think so, but I would to be able to do that.

Message 26 of 28 (585 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Keyblade Wielder
6968 posts

May 19, 2013
cant you just change the password and lock him out of your account..Hope I am on topic
Message 27 of 28 (575 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jun 13, 2013

create your brother an account so he can play games....

other users cant access each others game saves i dont think

Message 28 of 28 (545 Views)
0 Likes