PlayStation MVP
26915 posts

Re: Changing PSN ID with launch of PS4

Apr 20, 2013

Icestar10 wrote:

BBurgSteve wrote:

Icestar10 wrote:

Sony should let us change our usernames. Why not?

Because they already tell you when you are creating your PSN ID to choose your name carefully.  You cannot change the Birthdate on your account for security reasons, and you cannot change your PSN ID, probably because of logistical reasons.  You can already change the login email attached to your PSN ID, if you could change your PSN ID as well, how would Sony track it?  Your PSN ID is your Account Name (much like a bank account number), it is what Sony tracks you by and attaches your trophies, purchases and other data to.

This does not make any sense to me though. Other companies allow their customers to change their usernames, so it seems like it can work if Sony wanted to. I hear in Japan they let people change their usernames. So it looks like Sony can find a way to track people even after they change their usernames.  I am not ssaying Sony owes us a name change, just think it would be nice for them to allow us change our names, for a fee if they really want to gain something out of it. lol  I mean, I like my name, but there are many people that want it.

Does anyone have any confirmation of this? Or is this yet another gamer myth that's been repeated, and accepted as "fact"?

Message 11 of 50 (1,596 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 20, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Icestar10 wrote:

BBurgSteve wrote:

Icestar10 wrote:

Sony should let us change our usernames. Why not?

Because they already tell you when you are creating your PSN ID to choose your name carefully.  You cannot change the Birthdate on your account for security reasons, and you cannot change your PSN ID, probably because of logistical reasons.  You can already change the login email attached to your PSN ID, if you could change your PSN ID as well, how would Sony track it?  Your PSN ID is your Account Name (much like a bank account number), it is what Sony tracks you by and attaches your trophies, purchases and other data to.

This does not make any sense to me though. Other companies allow their customers to change their usernames, so it seems like it can work if Sony wanted to. I hear in Japan they let people change their usernames. So it looks like Sony can find a way to track people even after they change their usernames.  I am not ssaying Sony owes us a name change, just think it would be nice for them to allow us change our names, for a fee if they really want to gain something out of it. lol  I mean, I like my name, but there are many people that want it.

Does anyone have any confirmation of this? Or is this yet another gamer myth that's been repeated, and accepted as "fact"?

I can't confirm it but I hear people saying it so many times and no one seems to correct it. That's why I said  "I hear".  Smiley Tongue lol

Message 12 of 50 (1,593 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3153 posts

Apr 21, 2013
Im glad we can't change our PSD ID's because I would just get sick and tired of everyone always changing names and trying to figure out who's who hahahaha I used to have over 50 friends on my friend list and couldn't remember what alot of their names were. So I deleted everyone except for like 7 people who are my actual friends I hang with and family members.
PSN: Deaofly
60 GIG Ps3 Owner Since January 21, 2007
500GB Ps4 Owner Since November 22, 2014
1000 Model PSP Owner, PSP Go Owner and PS Vita Owner
PS1 and PS2, Both Original Systems.
https://www.facebook.com/deaofly?ref=aymt_homepage_panel
Message 13 of 50 (1,576 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Splicer
74 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 21, 2013

deaofly wrote:
Im glad we can't change our PSD ID's because I would just get sick and tired of everyone always changing names and trying to figure out who's who hahahaha I used to have over 50 friends on my friend list and couldn't remember what alot of their names were. So I deleted everyone except for like 7 people who are my actual friends I hang with and family members.

There are solutions for such little problems. Steam allows you to add notes to any friend's account, so you can label them with a name that you'll always remember. And it also lists all name that they might have used in the past.

But imho the option to change IDs isn't really the most necessary service. The option to change your country should have an higher priority for example.

This can be an annoying issue, especially as Sony requires your CC's origin to be identical with your SEN ID's country. Dear Sony, in a globalized world, people tend to move. I lived in 3 countries in the past 10 years.

Message 14 of 50 (1,574 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

[ Edited ]
May 27, 2013

a one-time name change should be an option

Message 15 of 50 (1,508 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1515 posts

[ Edited ]
May 27, 2013

deaofly wrote:

pssh, its not that difficult to send a three message word... "who is this?"  Some people have so many random friends on their list they just add from games that they probably wouldnt noticed if they changed their name. If one of my close friends changed his name, I would know. not like his trophies , avatar or even messages  have from him changed too. I personally dont care for name changes. If people not on my friend list keep changing it, why would it bother me or even you?  

Message 16 of 50 (1,504 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
32 posts

May 27, 2013
But but xbox allows it
Message 17 of 50 (1,497 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4292 posts

May 27, 2013

I too would welcome this option. Maybe limiting it to once a year, and for a fee. That way people won't be changing their name all the time, and it earns Sony some money too.

Message 18 of 50 (1,494 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
21 posts

May 27, 2013
If xbox can idk why Sony can't , charge a small fee while u at. There's no good names available so it will be a waste anyways btw
Message 19 of 50 (1,489 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
35881 posts

May 27, 2013

jEdi_FlY wrote:
But but xbox allows it

BRIT-KO

Message 20 of 50 (1,487 Views)